Batteries look at the small print!! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Over the last few weeks I have placed several threads regarding the problems I have with my batteries.

When I bought my new Hymer just over two years ago, from a very well known dealer I made sure they fitted a battery. After that I bought another the same size as already fitted.

Last week the batteries would not hold their charge, had them checked and they are now u.s. The battery which was fitted was Platinum 100a. But on removing them and having a look at the very small print on the top of the battery, where it shows an image of a motorhome and caravan. The following read=

INTENDED PURPOSE, “For use with electrical hook-up with minimal off grid
usage, e.g. lights”

The Platinum which was fitted was a class C battery and I can see was for caravan use ONLY.

I have written to the dealer and await their reply.

Read the small print!

Colyboy

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I thought Hymer were using Varta AGM 2 years back?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
all print on the top of the battery, where it shows an image of a motorhome and caravan. The following read=

INTENDED PURPOSE, “For use with electrical hook-up with minimal off grid
usage, e.g. lights”

Colyboy

Odd. That suggests not suitable for deep cycling which is exactly what you want a MoHo or caravn battery to do.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
When I bought the van I asked them to fit a battery! You would have thought that a main dealer would know what battery to fit!

When I saw the battery they had fitted , I automatically bought the same as you should.

It’s not until I took the batteries out that I found they were not the right ones.

Waiting for a reply from the MD of the company involved, watch this space!

Colyboy

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Odd. That suggests not suitable for deep cycling which is exactly what you want a MoHo or caravn battery to do.

The NCC C rating, for what it is worth (which isn’t much in the first place) says pretty much the same thing. It looks like these ratings and the battery labels assume everyone has a caravan and always uses a hook up. I think the B and C rated batteries are just relabelled engine batteries and the A rated ones might be a little bit better.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Battery warranty's have never been worth the paper they are written on.
Hymer started fitting Banner AGM' s around 2012, absolute rubbish batteries, changed to Varta AGM around 2016 just not quite as bad rubbish.

Sounds like the Platinum's are AGM.

The NCC scheme is just a scam, no proper independent tests carried out. Test results only from manufacturers own tests, required to last 6 cycles to claim a life of 200 cycles.

What do you expect from an organisation funded buy the manufacturers and dealers.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We had 2 Platinum 100 amp batteries not AGM and a 120watt solar panel on our Benimar used of grid many times in the 2 years we had it, never had a problem.
The biggest problem with going off grid is some peoples expectations.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As I'm never hooked up and always offgrid I only have cheap batteries and happy to replace every 2 years if need be.
Although the supposedly have a 4 year warranty

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back