Bad design in my opinion (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Our new carthago has what I think is a silly design in where the grey waste pipe is located it's about 3 inches off the floor to the rear of the o/s/r wheel I am sure someone must have smashed this of their carthago

I decided to move mine and mine now exits just in front of the n/s/r wheel and is about 2 inches higher than it was so hopefully won't get caught

Screenshot_20190320-222839_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190320-222909_Gallery.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
isn't it bonkers, yet again, when the user has to sort out design balls ups :mad: as ever designed by non users o_O

from your photos I cant easily see how you have gained the height off the ground, they both appear to be fixed to the chassis which is the limiting factor,

Hope the increased outlet height doesn't affect the emptying rate (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The other bad design on the waste system is that the handle has a nasty habit of lifting up off the valve, which is a nightmare to fix
Best to apply downward pressure when turning it

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I also lifted mine and fitted a tap so I dont have to go into the locker inside to open the wasre valve

Quite a few people have had the valve / tap break inside so be gentle with it LOL

(Robert beat me to it )

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
The other bad design on the waste system is that the handle has a nasty habit of lifting up off the valve, which is a nightmare to fix
Best to apply downward pressure when turning it

I must admit the handle feels very stiff to turn almost notchy I might fit an external tap like Zepp has then just leave the one in the locker open

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Great adjustment!
Now when the grey waste is pouring out as you're fleeing down the road the n/s/r wheel / tyre will be able to spray it about all over the place instead of it just landing on the road!:whistle::imoutahere:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I fitted one like this not sure where I got it from I think it was ebay for ÂŁ5

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A mod to consider is making the external valve motorised, then you could empty out without leaving the comfort of your little palace
We had a downward facing camera fitted by our outlet pipe so we could see where we were positioned- a great feature

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
isn't it bonkers, yet again, when the user has to sort out design balls ups :mad: as ever designed by non users o_O

from your photos I cant easily see how you have gained the height off the ground, they both appear to be fixed to the chassis which is the limiting factor,

Hope the increased outlet height doesn't affect the emptying rate (y)

I have fixed the holding bracket higher up on the chassis so it does not have as much fall, the fall now is only slightly more than level but this will not matter as the whole pipe is below the lowest point of the grey tank plus I have E&P jacks so can use these if required.

Also it will not catch on the floor when driving up a step shallow slope like the bottom of my driveway and now its in front of the rear wheels I will not accidentally break it off if I was to reverse up to a kerb or similar object.

LB

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I've had all the issues discussed. No doubt more of my breakages/replacements will follow with other owners.
My personal opinion is still the same Carthago + quality = 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back