Preventing Water Runoff on Hymer Grand Canyon Awning (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

moxatron

Free Member
Sep 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
hymer
Hi all!
We have a hymer Grand Canyon (pop top) and have a Thule omnistor roll out awning. We are finding there is run off between the awning fixing and the van which is not ideal in our lovely British climate! Due to having a pop top, the awning was fitted at the top rather than against the van (see image) I contacted a dealership who said we couldn't fix the problem using a sealing rubber due to the position of the awning. Does anyone have advice on how to stop the run off or does anyone use anything that works?
Many thanks

IMG_4316.jpeg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I canā€™t think why it has been fitted with such a big gap, does it allow for the sliding door?

Could have been fitted like ours I would have thought

image.jpg

We have a cover strip to stop rubbish accumulating but would also stop drips

Upvote 0
OP
OP
moxatron

moxatron

Free Member
Sep 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
hymer
Yes I spoke to them and they said the strip wouldn't be wide enough. Just wondering anyone used anything else or did a bit of diy that worked ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have just started using some foam pipe insulation tubes cut in half and pushed down the gap. Having said that the gap looks wider on your van.

Worth a try?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
In my experience, the strips aren't totally watertight, it's just a rubber bung that's laying in the gap. So you still get some water running down the van. And it also means there's bit of a crevice which accumulates a lot of crud like leaves, dirt and eventually moss.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
OP
OP
moxatron

moxatron

Free Member
Sep 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
hymer
i think the issue is finding something that will allow the awning to roll out, the roof to pop and the door to slide šŸ˜‚ I'd ideally like to find some kind of fix; I'll try getting some piping foam cheers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
moxatron

moxatron

Free Member
Sep 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
hymer
I have just started using some foam pipe insulation tubes cut in half and pushed down the gap. Having said that the gap looks wider on your van.

Worth a try?

I'll try that thanks, it's about 2 inches at the narrowest

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
i think the issue is finding something that will allow the awning to roll out, the roof to pop and the door to slide šŸ˜‚ I'd ideally like to find some kind of fix; I'll try getting some piping foam cheers
If you cover a large enough insulation roll in plastic or clingfilm and squeeze into gap, would that solve your problem.šŸ¤”

I have used a plastic covered strip of memory foam in the past to stop water ingress and draughts.

PS. Just seen other suggestions, why cut in roll in half?

PPS. IF your brackets holding the awning to the van were turned upside down, would it angle the top of the awning case closer to the van as on 2nd post picture?
Have the brackets been secured upside down or are they the wrong fixings? šŸ¤”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I have a self adhesive rubber drain channel above the sliding door on our ducato van. Stops most of the drips into the kitchen with the door open.
Maybe the gap on yours would be too wide for this solution.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
What about a few magnets or role of that magnetic tape and some waterproof material. AttachƩ when you need and remove when you need to?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back