Avian influenza (bird flu): Latest situation (1 Viewer)

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A little background :
The 1918 influenza pandemic was the most severe pandemic in recent history. It was caused by an H1N1 virus with genes of avian origin. Although there is not universal consensus regarding where the virus originated, it spread worldwide during 1918-1919. In the United States, it was first identified in military personnel in spring 1918. It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
In Case any bird keepers have missed the latest headlines, it is not good news, restrictions are being enforced again to combat the disease.

Avian influenza (bird flu)

Latest situation​

1. 31 October 2022
    Mandatory housing measures for all poultry and captive birds are to be introduced to all areas of England from 00:01 on Monday 7 November. The housing measures legally require all bird keepers to keep their birds indoors and to follow stringent biosecurity measures to help protect their flocks from the disease, regardless of type or size.
Guidance Avian influenza (bird flu)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
They've already had to cull some swans with it on the Avon. I imagine some of the 'royal' birds on the Thames ditto. It's heartbreaking to see them with it because they act in such a peculiar unnatural way which I've only seen briefly on TV whilst Defra were removing them.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
My mates not to happy, he breeds show birds and has had some luck with coming tops at the last few bird shows obviously now shows on hold so probably this season will be a disaster🙁🙁

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Didn’t we have this a few years back, about the same time of year and it affected the Xmas Turkey as it will this time?!?!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Turkey will be in short supply this year, and expensive, get your order in now.

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
In East Anglia many of the Christmas flocks of turkeys and ducks have been culled, Will certainly not be enough to go around on the 25th Dec, along with most peoples show birds ranging from bantams to emus and around 50% of the swans have died, not uncommon to see a dead swan floating on the river stour.
A friend up on the north west coast of Scotland states the sea bird population has been and is being devastated with all manner of sea fairing birds washed up daily.
I remember years back the sparrow population suffered with swollen heads and their eyes closed up so they starved around here the population has never really recovered.
Similar with migrating starlings 60 yrs back this time of year the sky could be black with a murmuration of them at dusk, they were accused of bringing foot & mouth in from Europe at the time hardly ever see one around here now.
Just evolution perhaps or man’s intervention ?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
NOTHING is worse than man flu ...............

except you rarely die of man flu!

So far, 60,000 birds have died in GB, and this is set to rise when the flocks of migratory birds start to land in this country from the North.

The worst hit are birds like the Gannet that take a number of years to start breeding and when they do, they only produce one egg so will take years to recover.
A few months ago, I was up on the Farne islands and the bird population was a carpet of dead birds. and here in East Anglia I think the latest count is 67 poultry farms where the flock has been culled.

Near Sudbury, Suffolk, 19 out of 26 swans that were on the flood meadows, have died and the duck population has halved.

Please take it seriously because, as has been said before, 'you will miss them when their gone' and a hell of a lot have already!

PS I am not 'having a go' at anyone, just informing!

Reactions: hja
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Inoculation is one answered but it would be a bit of a bugger getting a Gannett common get you jab.
But maybe inoculation of our flocks would be a start.
Sumthing in ther water or apleyed as a mist to ther coops
Bill

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The Spanish Flu epidemic which killed millions of people after the First World War originated from an infected duck on a farm in the US.

The bird flu passed to a farm worker and then infected soldiers at a nearby training camp.

Bird flu is potentially a major source of infection

That was then, this is now!

Can I assure everyone, the medical advice I have been given is that, unless you go around kissing your bird population (and some do?)
the general public has very little to be alarmed about after taking sensible precautions already outlined by Quackers!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but we havnt seen a sign of any swallows here this year, I know they have been about as I have seen them elsewhere but actually here on this farm where we used to have at least half a dozen nests we havnt seen one swallow.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm really hoping we don't have to keep our birds inside. They are undercover now with side netting but they are used to free ranging and are not happy. The egg production is about half normal.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but we havnt seen a sign of any swallows here this year, I know they have been about as I have seen them elsewhere but actually here on this farm where we used to have at least half a dozen nests we havnt seen one swallow.
We had loads, more than usual.

OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Not looking forward to explaining to our flock that they have to stay in from next week.

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Chaser certainly less swallows, martins and swifts around my small area of Suffolk over the last few yrs, maybe not enough flys for food, not making the migration trip as being shot / caught in mist nets along the way etc, changes in house construction not suitable I have no idea.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I'm really hoping we don't have to keep our birds inside. They are undercover now with side netting but they are used to free ranging and are not happy. The egg production is about half normal.

Unless you can separate them from the wild birds, there is a good chance you might lose them.
A little bit of pain is worth months of gain!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Unless you can separate them from the wild birds, there is a good chance you might lose them.
A little bit of pain is worth months of gain!
At the moment keeping indoors is not a requirement in Scotland.

I am not sure how we would be able to keep them indoors :( so they might have to go anyway.

At the moment they are in a covered run to segregate them from the wild birds.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
This is really serious. We just dont seem to get on top of it.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We used to get flocks of a dozen to twenty Swifts "screaming" around the village of a summer's evening, I only saw two this year.:(
Son's MIL sells duck eggs at the roadside on the A7, last flu time she had to lock up her flock of 80 Chinese Runners in the big stable they had built, going in to collect eggs after they'd done their business was like that scene from Bambi where he steps onto the frozen lake, thank goodness for pressure washers !

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
This is really serious. We just dont seem to get on top of it.

The problem is the wild birds which, of course, carry the disease and fly everywhere also the Raptors eat the dead birds and spread it before dying themselves. :cry:

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I was listening to a farmer on this evening's local news, he had to cull nearly his entire flock of Turkeys. Apparently, he can only get compensation for any live uninfected birds. which in his case I believe was 8 birds.

Shocking.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We’ve only 1 Maran remainning and she’s around 7yrs old now so quite easy to keep in. Had a letter already from our commune reminding us that they are to be kept inside.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We lost ours due up a fox and haven’t replaced due to bird flu. Not sure we will now as can’t envisage it getting under control. That’s my cheery thought for the evening.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Very sad situation for all producers, this Avian Flu keeps on re-appearing every year, maybe a vaccination of all caged birds is the only answer, as you cannot vaccinate wild birds, or maybe put something in the feed so all birds are attracted to it:unsure: But I don't think anything has been developed yet?, I know they are looking at all possibilities.

They will also have to remove the "Free Range" on egg boxes as they should have done before, but I don't remember seeing it disappear from the supermarkets.
LES

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Very sad situation for all producers, this Avian Flu keeps on re-appearing every year, maybe a vaccination of all caged birds is the only answer, as you cannot vaccinate wild birds, or maybe put something in the feed so all birds are attracted to it:unsure: But I don't think anything has been developed yet?, I know they are looking at all possibilities.

They will also have to remove the "Free Range" on egg boxes as they should have done before, but I don't remember seeing it disappear from the supermarkets.
LES
I think the birds have to kept in for a number of weeks, is it 16, before you have to change the labelling. Our local egg supplier had sticky labels on his boxes. I have a vague feeling of seeing shelf labelling in the supermarket.

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
These little darlings were hatched in our back porch, they stayed till the beginning of October, and we shut up the chickens at the end of Oct, there were four if them along with their parents, took more time to clean up after them than I liked but they were great and I hope they come back next year.

Attachments

• IMG_20220906_105513_663.jpg
    IMG_20220906_105513_663.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Q

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Good News For Poultry Owners

Avian influenza prevention zone (AIPZ): mandatory housing​

The Chief Veterinary Officer has announced that mandatory housing measures for poultry and captive birds, which were introduced across England to help stop the spread of bird flu, will be lifted from 00:01 on Tuesday 18 April 2023, but scrupulous standards of biosecurity remain essential. The measures in Wales will be lifted at the same time.

Following ongoing monitoring using the latest scientific evidence and a robust risk assessment, bird flu risk levels have been reduced meaning poultry and other captive birds will no longer need to be housed and can be kept outside, unless they are in a protection zone or captive bird monitoring controlled zone.

The decision means that from 18 April, eggs laid by hens with access to outside range areas can return to being marketed as ‘Free-Range’ eggs.

Those who intend to allow their birds outside are advised to use the upcoming days to prepare their outside areas for the release of their birds. This will include cleansing and disinfection of hard surfaces, fencing off ponds or standing water and reintroduction of wild bird deterrents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back