Autotrail Cheyenne 544 1996 - battery draining somehow and question on switch panel (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I am fortunate to have a Autotrail Cheyenne 544 1996 in fantastic condition.

I am hoping that someone here has owned this make and model and can help me with the correct switch positions to avoid a flat battery or some advice or why the battery might be draining.

The van didn't come with the original manual and I have checked to see if it exists online, unfortunately it doesn't. Picture of the control panel is attached.

The previous owner advised - ensure that on the control panel I set the MAIN/AUX switch to MAIN for driving and parking at home /on a site.
He'd never had a problem with the battery going flat.

I've been doing this and finding that the battery goes flat and the van then won't start.
Either needing a jump start or even worse a full charge from a battery charger.

I had the van habitation checked and the fella who did it advised - set the MAIN/AUX switch to AUX for parking at home /when on the sites.
He thought that having the MAIN/AUX switch on MAIN when parked is the source of the draining battery.

So I have tried this way hoping this would work however my battery is flat again.

When I am parked at home /on a site I am always hooked up to the electric, I don't do wild camping. I make sure that I turn the van lights off, any internal lights off etc.

Any advice gratefully on the switches or how to work it why the battery is draining.

I plan to travel alone and whilst I have a set of jump leads with me this is a bit of a worry. Last year I was very fortunate to find one man on the campsite who didn't have an electric car and who could help me jump start the van. It would be better if I could find the root cause and resolve it.

Many thanks
Amanda

IMG_6943.jpg

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
You may find the information you require if you google Plug-in-Systems who supplied the same control to other makes of Motorhomes (without the Autotrail logo) , I think that it should not matter which setting is used when driving , as both batteries should be being charged from the engine , but , as stated , Aux should be used when parked up .
If your starter battery is going flat when parked up , and you are using Aux , it could be that the starter battery is faulty (or needs testing)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back