Autotrail awning gear assembly replacement.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The gear assembly and coupling on the awning of my 2011 Autotrail Tracker EKS needed replacing. There was a clicking sound when winding the awning and it would not fully retract and click shut. The Thule Omnistor 5002 awning is recessed into the side of the motorhome so it was with some trepidation that I decided to tackle the job to fit the new part. The part number is 1500601221 and I purchased it from Motorama in Hull. Not the cheapest but I received the package within 24 hours which was important in order to complete the job whilst the good weather held. Fitting the new part was straightforward but the recessed awning was not a helpful design feature!

I thought it might be useful to relate my experience.
  • It’s a two-person job!
  • Two ladders or step ladders were needed.
  • Tools included PZ2 and slotted screw drivers. A pair of thin-nosed mole grips, a socket set or spanners plus some long ratchet straps.
  • The new gear assembly and funnel coupling
  • Choose a day when there is minimal wind!
  • Wind out the awning and position the legs. As we were working on the driveway we used tie-down straps attached to two 5L water containers to keep the awning stable in the mild breeze.
  • The LH end cover can’t be removed until the awning casing is loosened. Inside the van the LH and centre bolts are located inside the habitation lockers and protected by plastic covers. The bolts for the RH end of the awning are located (we think) behind the control panel above the habitation door. Not helpful! Fortunately we only needed to remove the LH and centre bolts using a socket set. There were three bolts at the LH end but only one bolt in the centre!
  • With the locating bolts removed there was just enough room to pull the awning a little way from the vehicle body to access the single screw holding the LH end plate cover. With the cover being plastic we gently used slot screwdrivers to ease the cover free without causing damage. It needed a good clean inside!
  • Before removing the gear assembly we tied ratchet straps over the awning and the casing as a precaution against the awning fully unwinding.
  • Before fully removing the assembly from the square-ended spindle we eased it away slightly with just enough room to clamp the mole grips onto the spindle to stop it rotating the awning out. Just another precaution combined with the ratchet straps!
  • From the gear casing we removed three screws and removed the winding gear component. Easy.
  • The new component had a little bit of flashing on the casting so we filed that away before re-assembling. The screws had oxidised so we applied some copper slip to them.
  • Whilst fitting the assembly back on to the square-ended spindle we inadvertently managed to unseat the RH end from its round spindle! This was soon put right.
  • Having cleaned the plastic end cover we put that back on and fixed the single screw. With the ratchet straps removed the awning casing slotted back into position and the nuts and bolts in the habitation lockers secured.
  • All this was a bit of a learning curve hence the precautions with the awning. However, fitting the new gearing was easy. Having the awning recessed by Autotrail was the only hassle. I’ve learned with other bits and pieces such as the sink tap in bathroom and the boiler and the fresh water tank that Autotrail fit these components and then make them inaccessible for maintenance by fitting panelling to conceal access points. I know this from experience. Anyone tried fitting a new sink tap in the bathroom? A nightmare!
    So, with a bit of common sense and some precautions, fitting a new winding gear assembly is straightforward. I hope this has been helpful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back