Austria Advixe (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
Hi
We are trying to plan our trip to mainland Europe this summer. We have 5 weeks to play with and really fancy Austria. We have flown into Vienna before and loved it. We spent a week in the Jungfrau region last year and also loved it. We were told that if you enjoyed Switzerland you will love Austria. Any advice about Motorhome trips in Austria would be greatly appreciated

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Vignette.
You need one
Buy on the border
If you are over 3.5t then I'll point you in the direction of some conversations on this site

Ferry is Harwich/Hook of Holland, it saves a day and a load of tolls

There are some superb sites in Austria, but you need to book NOW!
This one at WolfgangSee will be full booked in the next couple of weeks for the entire summer.

OP
OP
B
Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
Thanks for the info, that place sounds great.
To be honest we are more than happy to use Aires if that is a thing over there and Search for sites, Park4night etc and wing it a bit.
There is just the 2 of us and we don't tend to like hanging around in the same place usually for more than a couple of days.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
To be honest we are more than happy to use Aires if that is a thing over there and Search for sites, Park4night etc and wing it a bit.
There is just the 2 of us and we don't tend to like hanging around in the same place usually for more than a couple of days.
Stellplatz (Aires) do exist in Austria, but they are not as plentiful as Germany or France.

Just be aware that Mid June to mid August the motorhomes of Germany descend on Austria and all points south, and a lot of Germans will be booking their campsite pitches this month.
It just means that it can be difficult to find pitches.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
There are not many stellplatze in Austria. I would keep a good eye on ventusky, accuweather etc because if the weathers not good in Austria during your dates you can get similar scenery just over the Italian or German borders which can sometimes make a big difference, even Switzerland if your budget can stretch.

You might find this interesting

No idea why Brains keeps banging on about the Harwich crossing, depending on where you are there are probably several options that will suit your needs just as well and most offer more choices of crossing times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
Stellplatz (Aires) do exist in Austria, but they are not as plentiful as Germany or France.

Just be aware that Mid June to mid August the motorhomes of Germany descend on Austria and all points south, and a lot of Germans will be booking their campsite pitches this month.
It just means that it can be difficult to find pitches.
Thanks for that advice

OP
OP
B
Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
There are not many stellplatze in Austria. I would keep a good eye on ventusky, accuweather etc because if the weathers not good in Austria during your dates you can get similar scenery just over the Italian or German borders which can sometimes make a big difference, even Switzerland if your budget can stretch.

You might find this interesting

No idea why Brains keeps banging on about the Harwich crossing, depending on where you are there are probably several options that will suit your needs just as well and most offer more choices of crossing times.
Cheers for that

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have been to Austria previously and with all things being equal will have a couple of months ish from Mid May.

We have budgetted for about a month in Austria in the Carinthia region and will have to do campsites for the majority which goes against my nature as a FLT

When we stopped before in Millstat at a campsite you get a MIllstat card for free which gives you access to ferry boats, beaches, some mountain roads, some ski lifts and even a sauna after 2000 hrs.

This time we will be buying the Carinthia card which will cost about 75 euros each for 5 weeks. This is worth looking up to see if it cuts the mustard for your trip. I think a couple of cable car rides and you make your money back, never mind all the other stuff.

I have created a map of all the locations with interactive links to the spots and some other interesting stuff as well as from "The Wild Swimming in the Alps" book by Daniel Start which may be a useful additional reading tool.

I have shared my maps previously but this one has the Wild Swimming spots on it and I dont want to take away from his sales so would only share this map (as a read only so you cant adjust it yourself) if the book has been purchased.
1706351173297.png

OP
OP
B
Oct 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 2013
Cheers for that

Vignette.
You need one
Buy on the border
If you are over 3.5t then I'll point you in the direction of some conversations on this site

This one at WolfgangSee will be full booked in the next couple of weeks for the entire summer.
By
Vignette.
You need one
Buy on the border

Hi
You clearly wasn't joking
We tried to book this place over the weekend for the end of July and it is fully booked.

Shame as it sounds great

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back