ATOTO S8 Standard 7 inch Double-DIN Car Stereo (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi all, I have done a search but found nothing, but I am sure somebody must have posted about this but I am probably asking the wrong questions in the search.
Anyway, has anybody fitted a ATOTO S8 Standard 7 inch Double-DIN Car Stereo? Or any other for that matter. Any comments god, bad or absolute rubbish? I am not a HiFi freak so absolutely best sound quality would be lost on me. The MoHo is not really the most acoustically perfect space either. When in the UK (rarely) we like the radio also but the aerial is so bad we can rarely pick up Radio2 which is our favourite so usually listen on the Internet via the phone via Bluetooth to the radio.
I currently have a JVC single DIN radio which has a DVD in it which can play to my TV and also the TV can play to the radio via Line In on the radio. I rarely play dvd’s as I load films & TV programs onto a hard disk so it would be good to play those through the radio to the TV.
I am pretty handy so fitting it myself will be no problem and I am not looking at spending thousands when something like this is less than £200.
So what have you fitted and is it ok. Oh I have never used it but hear that Android Car Play or whatever it is called is great. We have Android phones. But Apple iPads. I normally use a SatNag but have tried Google maps on my phone and quite liked it except the phone display is a bit small so Google Maps on the radio screen probably would be good. I have permanent wifi in the MoHo.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
You've posted a lot of info above. Think it might be an idea to state your minimum requirements and the size factor if it needs to fit in a hole that currently exists.
Can't help with atoto question.
I would look for an android double din head unit with the most up-to-date android version and plenty of ram. Some come with nice big screens that you can rotate but that might not suite your dashboard.
I found a relatively unknown Chinese brand on Amazon for not much money and it works well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
You've posted a lot of info above. Think it might be an idea to state your minimum requirements and the size factor if it needs to fit in a hole that currently exists.
Can't help with atoto question.
I would look for an android double din head unit with the most up-to-date android version and plenty of ram. Some come with nice big screens that you can rotate but that might not suite your dashboard.
I found a relatively unknown Chinese brand on Amazon for not much money and it works well.
I said I have a double din space, I just saw someone on YT fitting one of these. Prices seem to be between £150 to about £1,500 for an alpine or similar. I have looked at some specs but can’t find whether it can duplicate what I have, but with Android Play.
I probably should have put: Double DIN Android Play Car Sterio as the title. Don’t think I can change it now.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You have just spent a fortune on full air Steve so be sensible and by a decent stereo like a Kenwood or Clarion etc., avoid Pioneer, good units but very high standby current.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
You have just spent a fortune on full air Steve so be sensible and by a decent stereo like a Kenwood or Clarion etc., avoid Pioneer, good units but very high standby current.
Our pioneer that came with the van is crap 💩 so may take it out and fit a better one later. Was thinking of sticking with pioneer to save different wiring but better quality. I think the way the carthago is wired now means no residual draw when off or very little.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
It’s not a matter of cost, I just looked at a Kenwood unit on Amazon, KENWOOD DMX7722DABS. Which is £365. I am not a hifi buff. Even listen to music on an Alexa! I really wanted some feedback on a head unit change as I have a double din space. I would just lose the space for sunglasses 😎.
The trouble is like everything I don’t know, I need to learn about it first. Like my Lithium journey and experiences! ;) The feedback of others drastically reduces that learning curve. For example I hadn’t thought of Kenwood but have now. With that one above though I can’t find if it will take a line-in feed from the TV / Satellite. Nor what the standby current is. I would probably need a much better aerial for DAB. I have no idea where Hymer have hidden the one in our van?
See, so much to learn. If anybody has direct experience I would really appreciate it. Or even just things I should think about.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
The ability of the iPad to load all sorts of nav and entertainment which can be shown on CarPlay.

Buy a good double din one now, or buy two!

I fitted, against my instinct, a powered DAB aerial, sticks on the windscreen, its a block maybe 10mm wide and 100mm long. absolutely brilliant reception. Better that the full blown external powered antenna on my Land Rover.

Also have a 'side view' camera covering the offside blind spot!!

So glad I spent time on planning.

Don't worry about wiring compatibility. Loads of adaptors available. I even use my steering wheel buttons.

Take time, get what you want!

Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
Second, of course!!! Cheap Chinese one then Pioneer. All the adaptors and steering wheel control from Amazon, then a small trim piece to finish it off. Would have saved £200 doing Pioneer first. No, it's not perfect but its limited by the speakers anyway unless you want to spend hundreds on replacements. Rear 'Focal" speakers are the best by a long way away.

Tony

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
It can matter what year and model your base vehicle is as this can affect the fixings and the fit with the surrounding fascia. Also affects what interface you need for connecting to any steering wheel controls.

I fitted a Pioneer unit into my Ducato and only got the correct compatible accessory parts from the supplier on the second attempt which involved a lot of initial hassle, though I'm very pleased with it now, especially with its ability to support Android Auto wirelessly.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back