AS Air Suspension vs VB Suspension (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 25, 2023
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Hello, don't suppose anyone can part any wisdom on the following. We are looking to add Air Suspension to our Carthago Chic C Tag Axle, the ride is so crashie it puts us off going places.

VB Full Air Suspension is around £13k for my van, I would prefer to pay less but if this is the solution that will fix the drive and make it use the van more, then so be it. I just don't want to spend that money and it not be an amazing difference. Other less costly options I've looked at would be AS Air Suspension or VB Semi Air, so if anyone with experience give me some feedback that would be great.

Mark

Jan 23, 2023
Lincolnshire, UK/ Torre del mar ES
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftain
Exp
Since 1983 motorhoming ,got the bug in a T2 in 76.
You describe the ride as crash, I would look at your tyre pressures first, probably way over inflated.
Try tyresafe.org and use the online calculator free of charge.
Hope this helps
Oilrag

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've previously had semi air. It helps with handling. But only takes the edge of the big impacts. I noticed very little difference to general road rattle.

My current van was horrible when I got it. Very noisy and brittle. Switching from rock hard camping tyres to standard van tyres made a good difference.

About a year later, I fitted VB 4C full air. It's good, the ride is much more supple. The step change was similar to switching out the camper tyres. So it's still not a magic carpet ride. It still judders on potholes and larger lumps. But it's much better. It's mostly rattling within the van now, rather than the whole structure feeling like it's going to judder off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
marky7seven
Oct 25, 2023
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
I’m getting the tyres changed, as they are dated 2015, they are currently Michelin Agile camping, so going to look at continentals instead. Checked the tyre pressures last night, they weren’t a that far off, but will play around with them. Hoping a mixture of all this will improve it drastically.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
Does anyone else think that their vans are getting rattlier on our rubbish roads ? I'm surprised they still hold together sometimes. We had semi air on our previous B544 (4125kg) not sure it made much difference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2023
Lincolnshire, UK/ Torre del mar ES
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftain
Exp
Since 1983 motorhoming ,got the bug in a T2 in 76.
Agree, I only hear wind noise on French and Spanish main routes, even morrocan roads are better than those here in UK, we are so becoming very delapidated in many ways due to poor decisions and governance.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
As others have said it is more likely tyre pressure ,I had crashing on my bessacarr 452 which was on Michelin's ,and Michelin only reccomend high pressures. I changed all 4 tyres to continentals all season campervan 2s with an SP rating of 119/121.

Michelin publish a guide of weights to pressure recommended for all their tyres.Consequently I went from about 80psi to 59 psi front and 69 psi on rear. And the crashing stopped ,a much smoother ride , In trying to solve the issue I had semi Air on the back to take my van up to 4tonne. Although it helped with handling particularly passing lorries on the motorway etc ,it did not stop that crashing ,only changing the tyres did that...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back