Are all new Swift Kontiki blinds faulty/creased? (10 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 12, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift
Hi all,

Can I ask if anyone with a Swift Kontiki 2023 onwards has noticed their front window blind is excessively creased.

Long story short, the dealer reported the creased blind to me as part of the "pre inspection check" a day before we collected our new Kontiki. One of the numerous faults that would be fixed under warranty I was told. This is another long drawn out story for another time.

We waited the long lead time (with any warranty parts it appears from Swift it appears) and I took it in to be fitted.

Waiting for 4 hours for the privilege only for it to be fitted with a blind that was more creased than the one that was replaced. Someone didn't have the sense to question this and just fitted a brand new creased blind "because it was on the jobsheet".

I've now been told by the dealer they are all like this and it's Swifts bad parts so there is nothing they can do.

So anyone out there with good front blinds?

We've had a Swift van before and it was fine so this isn't a Swift bashing exercise I just want to know if this is true or if we're being fobbed off.

Edit: for clarity here is the response from the dealer

Following your visit to us last weekend our parts team have been looking into the issue with the cab windscreen blind.

Having looked at several other vehicles we have on site and swift parts, we have found that all of these blinds are creased the same as the replacement on your vehicle. This is due to the way they are manufactured from Swift and is unavoidable. Therefore another replacement blind would be exactly the same as the one you currently have.

I am sorry we could not provide you with a different response on this

Thanks

Last edited:

Jez1966

Visiting Coventry
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Curious why after 2023? We have 2021 Kon-Tiki 599 Sport.
A picture of the creasing would be of interest.
Is the 2023 cab shape different requiring "new" blind design?
Are they not Remis Blinds?

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Definitely need a photo, could it be the material used trying to look like linen, we have that on some blinds at home , think we paid a premium for it 🤔👍🙂

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
My blind is not creased, the motorhome is a bag of horse poo, but the blind has no creases. If you ask me they just don’t handle things carefully.
When the front blind is put in they run a piece of string up each side and it’s fixed in a slot in the top of the frame when the string comes loose if the blind is closed it’s then when they crease it trying to restring it. For a top of the range Moho it’s rubbish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Hi all,

Can I ask if anyone with a Swift Kontiki 2023 onwards has noticed their front window blind is excessively creased.

Long story short, the dealer reported the creased blind to me as part of the "pre inspection check" a day before we collected our new Kontiki. One of the numerous faults that would be fixed under warranty I was told. This is another long drawn out story for another time.

We waited the long lead time (with any warranty parts it appears from Swift it appears) and I took it in to be fitted.

Waiting for 4 hours for the privilege only for it to be fitted with a blind that was more creased than the one that was replaced. Someone didn't have the sense to question this and just fitted a brand new creased blind "because it was on the jobsheet".

I've now been told by the dealer they are all like this and it's Swifts bad parts so there is nothing they can do.

So anyone out there with good front blinds?

We've had a Swift van before and it was fine so this isn't a Swift bashing exercise I just want to know if this is true or if we're being fobbed off.

Edit: for clarity here is the response from the dealer

Thanks
No mine is not creased, but we could meet at beachyhead and with a glass of cafe de Paris bubbly in our hand, watch both mohos go over the edge, whoo hoo…

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just check in the showroom for similar vans. Swift don't make the blinds just fit them. I am sure the blind manufacturer doesn't supply creased blinds.
It needs replacing. Don't accept excuses.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Current issues
1, missing bolt cover on front skylight, skylight not opening beyond 10cms. Then would not close, repaired awaiting cover
2, warped habitation Perspex glass, common fault!, awaiting glass
3, broken blind on passenger door! Waiting blind
4, fresh water pump positioned wrong, it got ripped off going over speed hump! £210 repair cost refunded by swift. Back in next Friday as the pump is now leaking.

Other issues:
1: sat nav not working still testing..
2: panel above door with Aldi and control panel fell off (Panel replaced) email last week saying parts have arrived, but it’s been repaired??
3: after replacing panel Aldi heating did not work. Repaired. As 2
4: Second Pig tail not fitted, now fitted.
5: habitation fly screen came off runners, put back on.
6: carpets disintegrated, replaced, second set disintegrating. Low quality product.
7: revering camera not working, replaced.

Been back to Lowdhams 7 times..
but the front blind is not creased.. beachyhead, beachyhead, beachyhead…

IMG_1356.jpeg

IMG_1357.jpeg

IMG_1359.jpeg

IMG_1361.jpeg

IMG_1333.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zoshee
Mar 12, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift
Wow, you've had some issues.

Not Lowdhams by the way. It's Brownhills in Newark. They've got a great sales patter but the after service is appalling. Been there twice now and both times left with the van in a worst state than when I got there.

I'll get a picture of the blind and post it. It's not the end of the world to be honest but what gets me is they are the ones that reported it in the first place as a fault, not me. Then then replaced it with a worse one and then went into 'customer service mode' when I complained about it. "There's nothing we can do" now go away type thing. I've lost faith in their ability to sort these issues out now. Even tried emailing the original sales guy who told us he'd be our point of contact for anything going forward and not heard a thing back. Pretty poor and I wish we'd got the van from somewhere else.

The blind is just one issue of a few...

See the pictures of their bodge for the cupboards from the first visit. Note they packed it with masking tape to try and fix it and probably hoped I wouldn't notice. Since we visited the draws now fly open when you go around a corner.

My blind is not creased, the motorhome is a bag of horse poo, but the blind has no creases. If you ask me they just don’t handle things carefully.
When the front blind is put in they run a piece of string up each side and it’s fixed in a slot in the top of the frame when the string comes loose if the blind is closed it’s then when they crease it trying to restring it. For a top of the range Moho it’s rubbish.
100% agree on this. The string design is awful. The nut pops off the top section every time you close the blind. Also it is only just over the rear screen mirror.

The last Swift we had was a vertical design that met in the middle. This worked great, god knows why they changed it. The new one is a A Class wannabe where it's horizontal pulled up from the bottom.

Wondering if it's worth reaching out to Swift directly. Have you done this yet?

2.jpeg

1 (3).jpeg

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Wow, you've had some issues.

Not Lowdhams by the way. It's Brownhills in Newark. They've got a great sales patter but the after service is appalling. Been there twice now and both times left with the van in a worst state than when I got there.

I'll get a picture of the blind and post it. It's not the end of the world to be honest but what gets me is they are the ones that reported it in the first place as a fault, not me. Then then replaced it with a worse one and then went into 'customer service mode' when I complained about it. "There's nothing we can do" now go away type thing. I've lost faith in their ability to sort these issues out now. Even tried emailing the original sales guy who told us he'd be our point of contact for anything going forward and not heard a thing back. Pretty poor and I wish we'd got the van from somewhere else.

The blind is just one issue of a few...

See the pictures of their bodge for the cupboards from the first visit. Note they packed it with masking tape to try and fix it and probably hoped I wouldn't notice. Since we visited the draws now fly open when you go around a corner.

100% agree on this. The string design is awful. The nut pops off the top section every time you close the blind. Also it is only just over the rear screen mirror.

The last Swift we had was a vertical design that met in the middle. This worked great, god knows why they changed it. The new one is a A Class wannabe where it's horizontal pulled up from the bottom.

Wondering if it's worth reaching out to Swift directly. Have you done this yet?

View attachment 914127

View attachment 914128
When I called swift, they said for the first 3 years from new it is better to take it back to the dealer. Swift would simply refer you to the dealership.
We decided that even at £100k that Swift is a second rate company and their pretend A class top of the range motorhomes are actually third rate pieces of excrement.
I sold my 6 million pound business in January and have more than enough money to take this lump of GRP scrap to beachyhead, shove it in auto drive and film it driving over the edge of a 200 ft drop. Then getting the film on every news channel going.
There needs to be a fast track system to Sue the rear off any company who puts out dodgy items that are sent back for warranty work. On the third return within 1 year you should be refunded or the whole unit replaced and on every replacement the warranty starts anew.
People less fortunate than I have worked hard for many years and have saved every penny for a Moho, looking forward to taking kids and grandkids to special places for that most precious thing, family time, some just to meet up with friends, others to have romantic weekends by the sea. Then comes along the poor cheap design of a Swift and your dreams are in tatters. It’s not right. It is simply not right.
Back to Lowdhams on Friday, last time, for I’ve arranged servicing and Habitation service elsewhere, any more warranty work, and it’s gone, whoosh, never to be seen again..

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would be back on the dealers doorstep although knowing its Briwnhills I sympathise with you .Once sold they are really not that interested.
The drawers look like they have come off the rollers and are easily fixed . The masking tape bodge is just awful.and the blind need a new one refitted correctly.
I would send the photos to Swift. There is a email for the swift md somewhere on the forum. Plus I would advise him re the beachy head thought. I am sure he would soon react to a bit of potential publicity. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zoshee
Mar 12, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift
Here's photos of the creased blinds. When I got the van it was only creased on the left hand side, now they've kindly provided creases on both left and right. It's not the end of the world but they are clearly damaged and they pointed it out in the first place. You buy something of this value and expect everything to be as it should be when new. I wouldn't buy a new car and accept marks on the seats.

Heres the string/bolt combo holding the whole thing together as well. It comes off 9 times out of 10 when closing the blind.

During my heated conversation with the service desk I asked if I could get warranty work elsewhere. They said yes as long as it wasn't already logged with them. I've not had any experience with this though.

1 (4).jpeg

2 (1).jpeg

3.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Here's photos of the creased blinds. When I got the van it was only creased on the left hand side, now they've kindly provided creases on both left and right. It's not the end of the world but they are clearly damaged and they pointed it out in the first place. You buy something of this value and expect everything to be as it should be when new. I wouldn't buy a new car and accept marks on the seats.

Heres the string/bolt combo holding the whole thing together as well. It comes off 9 times out of 10 when closing the blind.

During my heated conversation with the service desk I asked if I could get warranty work elsewhere. They said yes as long as it wasn't already logged with them. I've not had any experience with this though.

View attachment 914338

View attachment 914339

View attachment 914340
I don’t think you will easily find another dealer willing to do warranty work. Servicing and habitation service, yes, but warranty work, very different subject.

Hymerworld at Stafford, Lowe and Rhodes at Stoke, Spinney at knutsford and several others have said warranty work on the units they sell only.,
Your blind looks like it’s been stored with things sat in top of the blind that’s terrible.

The string needs threading behind the blind frame and pulling tight, the little metal lug then sits square behind the little cut out, this stops the lug flipping out when you lift the blind.
You need to hold the blind top bar solid as you close it, using two hands, then twist it to lock it.

keep us advised as to how you go on..

Upvote 0

Jez1966

Visiting Coventry
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021

View attachment 914338

View attachment 914339

View attachment 914340
They look fragile, are they still make by Remis?
If you keep demanding replacements could a "fix" for dealer to swap to previous Remis pull together version?
I presume they will fit??

As for warranty work/hab check, you can take it to any Swift Accredited Agent.
We bought a 12 month old 21 reg Kontiki 599 Sport from A. Kerr and due to geography we only used them for the for issues after after shakedown trip.
And it went back to them on lowloader, DPF failure, heating and some cosmetic issues.
After than we found "local" Accredited Agent, 1st a mobile guy, no longer trading, 2nd WKD Caravan Services Colchester - Essex, very busy
3rd MG Caravans & Motorhomes Van service, MOT, Hab Check, garage water ingress.
I found Swift Accredited Agent website list to be useless, 2 listed on website, permanently closed.
I emailed support@swiftcustomerhelp.zendesk.com asking for Swift Accredited Agent near me and got a response in 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zoshee
Mar 12, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift
That's brilliant thanks. I'll drop them a line tomorrow.

By the way I need to change the avatar, this is the wifes account and I can't pull off the long hair these days.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

View attachment 914338

View attachment 914339

View attachment 914340
I would say they have been in someone else’s new MH who complained and they were changed out. Our remis cab blinds do now have some marks like that where a cushion has dented them but that is after 8 years wear and tear!

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
When I called swift, they said for the first 3 years from new it is better to take it back to the dealer. Swift would simply refer you to the dealership.
We decided that even at £100k that Swift is a second rate company and their pretend A class top of the range motorhomes are actually third rate pieces of excrement.
I sold my 6 million pound business in January and have more than enough money to take this lump of GRP scrap to beachyhead, shove it in auto drive and film it driving over the edge of a 200 ft drop. Then getting the film on every news channel going.
There needs to be a fast track system to Sue the rear off any company who puts out dodgy items that are sent back for warranty work. On the third return within 1 year you should be refunded or the whole unit replaced and on every replacement the warranty starts anew.
People less fortunate than I have worked hard for many years and have saved every penny for a Moho, looking forward to taking kids and grandkids to special places for that most precious thing, family time, some just to meet up with friends, others to have romantic weekends by the sea. Then comes along the poor cheap design of a Swift and your dreams are in tatters. It’s not right. It is simply not right.
Back to Lowdhams on Friday, last time, for I’ve arranged servicing and Habitation service elsewhere, any more warranty work, and it’s gone, whoosh, never to be seen again..
Great post!

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g

View attachment 914338

View attachment 914339

View attachment 914340
That's not good enough on a New Van.......Stick to your guns to get them replaced with New Undamaged Blinds

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Why did you not buy a Morello if money was no object ?

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Wots a morello?
Just looked it up on the tinker net, wow I want one, but I can't drive it on my licence, but isn’t it nice, yeah! , cos it’s gorgeous, now you really but a damper on my night, whaaaaa it’s not fair!… I just decided I hate you, I hate you more than a keema vindaloo with a scotch bonnet mishap.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just looked it up on the tinker net, wow I want one, but I can't drive it on my licence, but isn’t it nice, yeah! , cos it’s gorgeous, now you really but a damper on my night, whaaaaa it’s not fair!… I just decided I hate you, I hate you more than a keema vindaloo with a scotch bonnet mishap.
You could employ a driver 🤣

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back