Anyone Have Positives Since You Started Motorhoming ?

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes, it's still an amazing way to travel and explore, but there are many things that have gone, that I miss.

We travelled Europe a lot by road, cars, minibuses and the last 40 years, last 20, mainly by motorhome. Still sometimes staying in Villas and Houses. We have since purchased a Villa in Spain. But within 6 months, we had bought another motorhome.

So here goes....

Things lIke

Ferries:

Newcastle-Kristiansand-Gothernberg - CLOSED
Newcastle-Hugasund-Bergen - CLOSED
Harwich-Esbjerg - CLOSED
P&O Porthsmouth-Bilabo - CLOSED
Folkestone-Boulogne - CLOSED
Hull-Zeebrugge - CLOSED
Hovercraft - DISCONTINUED
Cherbourg-Rosslaire Celtic Ferries - Transferred to Stena Line - CLOSED
SpeedFerries Dover Boulogne - CLOSED
Western Channel P&O Routes - ALL CLOSED
Rosyth - Zeebrugge 6 years - CLOSED

Now Mostly Brittany Ferries on the Western Channel. Using Chinese Vessels and prices hiked.

Deisel/Fuel:

Okay, prices have come down. Some French Stations still charging €2+ a litre. But in 2016, we managed 80p a litre and it's now around £1.15, thats not too bad.

LPG: Double recently in some places.

Sites:

Lots of good places to stay with ACSI Camping Card, Free AIRES, Cheap Stelplatz etc. We stayed on a site in France August 2023, €14 a night. Heated pool, Riverside pitch, bar and restaurant. UK, prices have gone very a weekend for the 2 of us cost £100 at a CAMC Site in February.

That said, we have been priced out of some of our favourite 5***** sites for next year in France and spain too.

The "B" Word: *Please dont turn the post into a spat either way.

No Jim, I didn't say it. But its changed a lot of our plans and futures. We are limited to the amount of time we can make use of the aforementioned AIRES, ASCI etc.

New Motorhomers and VanLifers:

I think the mix of people we meet have changed. A lot of "new money" buying big bling rolling Gin Palaces looking down on those with lesser vans and certainly met a lot ruder folk over the last few trips. Exceptions are people like Lenny and Mi, let you off with the bling Carthago. *still waiting to view !, We had a BIG luxury motorhome back in the day. But we were never like some of these people who look down their noses at some people.

Insurance:

Managed to get reasonable deal this year after our existing insurer hiked up prices. But for many, the prices have risen dramatically.

Theft:

Doesn't matter if you own a Tansit or a BlingMobile these days. Theft is on the increase in the UK with no task force dealing with it. Your insured so, make a claim

LEZ Zones:

£300 a day for London, £9 a day for a EuroV in Bradford, banned from Benidorm from January for a B rated Car. I am all for cleaner air. But whilst London is the usual Priority, my local UK traffic corridor breaks pollution levels daily with no restrictions.

Continental Europeans:

Well, too many have always had something to say even when they should keep their mouths shut. So no change there.

Money:

We have gone from €1.70 to £1 in 2000 to as low as €1.03 ? Now we get excited at €1.20 !

Wars: Where Next ?

So, I am sure it's not all doom and gloom. A few of us are n longer with us, most of us still here. So, Some positives ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I still do all the non m/h things that I used to do pre-motorhome. I'm long retired so never need to plan anything but just fit in spontaneous m/h trips (always foreign) when I have the free time and the inclination, plus in the U.K. two or three times a year purely as accommodation when attending weekend classic m/bike events. Average annual mileage over the past 11 years is around 3,000.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
The only small improvements I can think of are to do with technology. I read a lot of books so used to set off on long trips with an absolute ton of books gathered from charity shops mostly. Now an e-reader does away with that hassle. Also in the past, needing to call home every evening to check on older family members with health issues often meant trecking out in foul weather (especially on winter ski trips) to use a call box operated by a pre paid card purchased from a tabac. That in itself limited the time we could chat whereas now we can sit in the comfort of the van chatting for as long as we like.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
Aires were free when we started, and the ones we stay at are still free.
And they are easier to find now with listings such as Search for Sites coupled with a sat nav to guide you to the location. When we first started using aires we relied on the green guides sold in French newsagents. They listed the towns with the address of the aire only, no photos and no reviews so it was pot luck and lots of time spent cruising around town desperately trying to spot the square sign with the motorhome symbol.

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Sally Viking ferries.
No internet until recently. We managed quite happily without. Had books to find sites, Still didnt book - in Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
It’s still all good after 7 years. We only tour on the continent and Morocco but the places we find and the overall cost is still very good compared to the UK. Our only concern is the relentless rise in the number of motorhomes on the road. In a 90 min spell travelling from Barcelona in to France we counted over 300 travelling in the opposite direction. 7 years ago there would have been no where near as many! More aires please!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Yes, it's still an amazing way to travel and explore, but there are many things that have gone, that I miss.

We travelled Europe a lot by road, cars, minibuses and the last 40 years, last 20, mainly by motorhome. Still sometimes staying in Villas and Houses. We have since purchased a Villa in Spain. But within 6 months, we had bought another motorhome.

So here goes....

Things lIke

Ferries:

Newcastle-Kristiansand-Gothernberg - CLOSED
Newcastle-Hugasund-Bergen - CLOSED
Harwich-Esbjerg - CLOSED
P&O Porthsmouth-Bilabo - CLOSED
Folkestone-Boulogne - CLOSED
Hull-Zeebrugge - CLOSED
Hovercraft - DISCONTINUED
Cherbourg-Rosslaire Celtic Ferries - Transferred to Stena Line - CLOSED
SpeedFerries Dover Boulogne - CLOSED
Western Channel P&O Routes - ALL CLOSED
Rosyth - Zeebrugge 6 years - CLOSED

Now Mostly Brittany Ferries on the Western Channel. Using Chinese Vessels and prices hiked.

Deisel/Fuel:

Okay, prices have come down. Some French Stations still charging €2+ a litre. But in 2016, we managed 80p a litre and it's now around £1.15, thats not too bad.

LPG: Double recently in some places.

Sites:

Lots of good places to stay with ACSI Camping Card, Free AIRES, Cheap Stelplatz etc. We stayed on a site in France August 2023, €14 a night. Heated pool, Riverside pitch, bar and restaurant. UK, prices have gone very a weekend for the 2 of us cost £100 at a CAMC Site in February.

That said, we have been priced out of some of our favourite 5***** sites for next year in France and spain too.

The "B" Word: *Please dont turn the post into a spat either way.

No Jim, I didn't say it. But its changed a lot of our plans and futures. We are limited to the amount of time we can make use of the aforementioned AIRES, ASCI etc.

New Motorhomers and VanLifers:

I think the mix of people we meet have changed. A lot of "new money" buying big bling rolling Gin Palaces looking down on those with lesser vans and certainly met a lot ruder folk over the last few trips. Exceptions are people like Lenny and Mi, let you off with the bling Carthago. *still waiting to view !, We had a BIG luxury motorhome back in the day. But we were never like some of these people who look down their noses at some people.

Insurance:

Managed to get reasonable deal this year after our existing insurer hiked up prices. But for many, the prices have risen dramatically.

Theft:

Doesn't matter if you own a Tansit or a BlingMobile these days. Theft is on the increase in the UK with no task force dealing with it. Your insured so, make a claim

LEZ Zones:

£300 a day for London, £9 a day for a EuroV in Bradford, banned from Benidorm from January for a B rated Car. I am all for cleaner air. But whilst London is the usual Priority, my local UK traffic corridor breaks pollution levels daily with no restrictions.

Continental Europeans:

Well, too many have always had something to say even when they should keep their mouths shut. So no change there.

Money:

We have gone from €1.70 to £1 in 2000 to as low as €1.03 ? Now we get excited at €1.20 !

Wars: Where Next ?

So, I am sure it's not all doom and gloom. A few of us are n longer with us, most of us still here. So, Some positives ?
Blimey. Didn't realise things were so bad
How long did that take to type 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back