Anyone come across the 10 kg total food limit at border in Norway? (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Anyone come across the 10 kg total food limit at border in Norway? It seems that it's not just Alcohol that's limited? Do they search motorhomes?
Worried now as we plan taking a lot with us, especially dried stuff for expeditions in kayaks out on the water.

OP
OP
J
Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Our experience of food pricing in town in the Fjords (off a cruise) where tehre was one shop ( a co-op) and nothing else nearby was it was very very expensive in that area (Skolden) by our standards - and according to the locals was it was horrendously expensive by theirs too -> around triple UK pricing for normal staples as a general rule. I mention it as there were PLENTY of motorhomes on the fjord area staying at both aires and campsites in surrounds. We commented at time that when we bring the motorhome (as we were checking out prices of staples like pasta) we should bring all we could with us, and not plan on buying in Norway apart from occasional meal out -> as the prices frankly made it silly when compared with countrys on route like Denmark.

I would highly recceomend brining all you can in with you if you planning on going around the fjords at least. It wasn't really any cheaper in Bergen either and yes, we did go to a local's food shop as we asked to to get sweets for the familys kids.

It's notable our Norweigan friends always take copius alcohol back with them from UK and EU and that is even more ridolcous than food.
Thanks for info

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When we went we were "stacked to the gunnels". Enough tea, coffee, breakfast ceral, fridge full of fresh foor, freezer full. We also had fresh vegetables, wine …….denmark. We were going to be in Norway for a total of about 9 weeks so we tried to take as much as we could including 48 litres of UHT milk.
48 litres of milk. - impressive. Might have been easier to take a cow and have fresh milk every day 😀😀

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Do your shopping well away from the tourist areas, such as fjord ports etc. Then you'll find it's not so expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
I find that quite astonishing. But i actually noticed today in Tesco that by best before date on Matheson 's smoked sausage is stamped 'Not for EU'. Never seen that before! It made me think!
That's for Northern Ireland, to indicate that it isn't going to be exported to the Republic.

Upvote 0
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
We left UK mid June and crossed via ferry, Denmark to Kristiansand end of June. Returned to Denmark early August. As a side note the Norwegians were quick to tell us that last year was their best Summer for 40 years!!
We are planning a trip, what were the midges like in August?
We are concerned having experience of Scotland at that time of year.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back