Anyone able to give an expert opinion on 3D printing? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We have a metal Lakeland clothes airer/horse thing that’s only a few years old. It’s a bit like a zig-zag design that is held up by a couple of plastic arms. You lift the plastic arms to collapse the airer when your togs are dry.

Anyway, one of the plastic arms has cracked and epoxy has not worked to fix it. There’s nothing whatsoever wrong with the rest of the airer, but Lakeland have now stopped selling it.

All it needs is a new plastic arm and I reckon a 3D printed one would be perfect.

However, is it possible to scan in the original arm, somehow, so a printer could actually print it? Is there anyone who can advise? For the want of a 20p piece of plastic, it seems criminal to scrap a perfectly good and useful bit of kit.

We bought a wonderful 3D printed cup holder adaptation for our Ducato from a member here. I just wonder whether what I’m thinking of for the airer is at all possible. If so, is there someone who’d relish the challenge in exchange for some beer tokens or a personalised walking/hiking stick (as I make those!).

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We have a metal Lakeland clothes airer/horse thing that’s only a few years old. It’s a bit like a zig-zag design that is held up by a couple of plastic arms. You lift the plastic arms to collapse the airer when your togs are dry.

Anyway, one of the plastic arms has cracked and epoxy has not worked to fix it. There’s nothing whatsoever wrong with the rest of the airer, but Lakeland have now stopped selling it.

All it needs is a new plastic arm and I reckon a 3D printed one would be perfect.

However, is it possible to scan in the original arm, somehow, so a printer could actually print it? Is there anyone who can advise? For the want of a 20p piece of plastic, it seems criminal to scrap a perfectly good and useful bit of kit.

We bought a wonderful 3D printed cup holder adaptation for our Ducato from a member here. I just wonder whether what I’m thinking of for the airer is at all possible. If so, is there someone who’d relish the challenge in exchange for some beer tokens or a personalised walking/hiking stick (as I make those!).
Post a photo of the item so people can see it.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

have you tried super glue and baking soda .... seems like a strange mix, but its bloody strong, lots of varaitions, ie super glue and wire wool, ashes, sawdust etc

look on youtube, and you will see some examples ..... other than that im sure a competent 3d printer funster (im very amateur) will be along to help ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 1, 2021
March, Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 185
Exp
Since 2020
This is where 3D printing is the prefect solution. As well as another one of those hobbies that can take over your life, 3D printing is most useful for repairing stuff, where an otherwise good working order item would probably be thrown away.

My first project that totally embarrassed the fitters who were installing our blinds a few years ago, was an end cap that was transparent. It looked terrible and they said it was impossible to get a white version that matched and looked much better.. Whilst they installed the rest, I designed and printed off an exact duplicate in white PLA. They were pretty much lost for words !

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
see this Jim set up today

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
This is where 3D printing is the prefect solution. As well as another one of those hobbies that can take over your life, 3D printing is most useful for repairing stuff, where an otherwise good working order item would probably be thrown away.

My first project that totally embarrassed the fitters who were installing our blinds a few years ago, was an end cap that was transparent. It looked terrible and they said it was impossible to get a white version that matched and looked much better.. Whilst they installed the rest, I designed and printed off an exact duplicate in white PLA. They were pretty much lost for words !
I did the same for our neighbours. They didn’t even get an end cap with their blinds. They were told that’s how they come. They weren’t cheap. I made a nice decorative design to their taste and they were over the moon.
I often think how did I live without a 3D printer.

PaulandChrissy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back