Any no TV people out there? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If alone, I love to turn off the TV and do something different.
OH won't hear of it though, she has it on even when not watching the damn thing :mad:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I wouldn't miss it. Loads of channels but nothing I'm interested in on, maybe news occasionally.
My mate has just bought an Amazon Fire stick and enthuses about it. Can't think of a much worse way to spend a day. Each to their own, Ann likes the soaps and dramas :sleep:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We watch copied DVDs on our lap top but other than when we visit both sets of parents who have the TV on all the time we've not watched TV since we sold it in June 2015. Do listen to the radio in the evening and talk to each other occasionally.

Shawn

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I can do without it, 'er indoors has it on, I think more through boredom than interest. When we do get out in the MoHo neither of us miss it nor want it. I would rather be doing something else.

Craig

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
deliberately had no tv when i planned the interior of my little van as it's my escape from phone, tv, modern day stresses, just the perfect way to chill out and enjoy beautiful countryside/places and conversation/interaction with lovely fun people..

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
First thing we did with ours was take out the factory fitters t v. NEVER missed it. But each to his or her own.

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
We don’t have a tv in our van. Instead we use the cupboard allocated for a tv to store books and board games. Occasionally we catch radio programmes on the BBC sounds app.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We do have a tv but never watch it but we do take DVDs with us. Can't be bothered with all the fiddling around with a sat dish.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
No TV, just a laptop and DVDs, as @Janine says entertainment to be found watching others (trying to get a signal) . :D

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
No Tv in the van, no TV in the house!

We only watch what we want to watch and when we want to watch it! ( I mean via Netflix or Amazon)

In reality when the weather is fair and the days are long we never watch anything.

I feel smug about the £££ that we have saved over the last 15 years since we last owned a telly (no TV licence)

I would add that at home we have a home cinema with massive projector screen and digital 5.1 surround sound system, compared to that anything else just doesn’t compare(y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we have one and only use it for dvds as said different to being at home

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No tv in the van, just a laptop and DVD player. Different story at home...,blooming Amazon firestick :D2:D2

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I can’t see the problem with a bit of everything. Backgammon & Rummicub are regulars obviously with camper sets and house sets, cards a ritual, as is drinks, BBQ’s cycling and being Sociable

But on a wet windy Bank Holiday afternoon, my wife pouring over a 1500 piece jigsaw, with me curled up on the sofa, glass in hand, watching a good film as the the rain batters the windows is very pleasant

Everything in moderation

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We dont have a TV in the van, we use a laptop for occasional TV. Being a Scout leader Im very much into outdoor stuff but believe that a bit of TV never harmed anyone.

We had a very bright boy at our cub pack. His parents were both highly qualified scientists. He had no TV at home, he may have had a massive IQ but he had a noticeable lack of knowledge that a good but or Discovery and National Geographic Channel would have given him.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
We bought our first van second hand two years ago,with a tv in it,that we’ve never watched. Should sell it really,but can’t be bothered. We read,play UNO,or listen to the wireless. Sometimes we go to bed early............................

but we still read,or listen to the wireless!;);)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
We do have a TV, it came with the van - not sure I would have bothered if it hadn't already had one. We hardly ever use it with the roof-mounted satellite dish to receive TV stations, maybe 3 or 4 times over the last 5 years.

What it does get used for is playing DVDs - but again, it's a fairly rare thing, maybe once in every 2 week holiday. With 3 kids in the van it's a useful backup though, if the weather is rotten and they're getting bored. It gets used most often when on a long journey - if heading down the motorway in France, putting a film on in the back just helps break up a long day travelling for the 2 younger kids. Eldest is absorbed in her phone!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
No TV in m/h.

Get enough of that at home.

Read, talk, play board games or cards or sit and admire the view.

Oh, and sample the local produce...........especially the liquid variety.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
No Tv in the van, no TV in the house!

We only watch what we want to watch and when we want to watch it! ( I mean via Netflix or Amazon)

In reality when the weather is fair and the days are long we never watch anything.

I feel smug about the £££ that we have saved over the last 15 years since we last owned a telly (no TV licence)

I would add that at home we have a home cinema with massive projector screen and digital 5.1 surround sound system, compared to that anything else just doesn’t compare(y)

Do the TV licence people try and bully you into buying a licence? They presume everybody must love watching TV and if you haven't got a licence you're cheating them.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
The van we purchased last year had a TV installed but no antenna! So we asked for one to be fitted as part of the purchase agreement. We watch TV for selected programmes otherwise games, reading or admiring Caravans being installed on site.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
First thing we did with ours was take out the factory fitters t v. NEVER missed it. But each to his or her own.
Our van didn't have a factory fitted TV, but it did have a bracket - ugly thing, and heavy too. Removed it straight away. ;) .(y)

Able to cover up the holes and can be refitted by a future owner if required. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back