LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin
Exp
since June 2014
I just listed 2 Kalkhoff electric bikes in MHF classifieds and at the same time listed them on Gumtree and Facebook. Within seconds I had the following message through the Gumtree ad.
"please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my son and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location .Regarding the payment..i can't make an online banking am having technical issue with my bank and i can only access my PayPal account at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction."

Looks like a familiar scam. Being retired and having a slow day I decided to string the scammer along. I messaged the person asking where they were and offering to deliver for cash. Needless to say, they are in Scotland (a long way from me in Norwich). I have said we like touring Scotland in our camper so would deliver and asked for directions to them. I will soon get bored with wasting their time but for the moment it's amusing me.

Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pamplona
Exp
Since 2018
I just listed 2 Kalkhoff electric bikes in MHF classifieds and at the same time listed them on Gumtree and Facebook. Within seconds I had the following message through the Gumtree ad.
"please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my son and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location .Regarding the payment..i can't make an online banking am having technical issue with my bank and i can only access my PayPal account at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction."

Looks like a familiar scam. Being retired and having a slow day I decided to string the scammer along. I messaged the person asking where they were and offering to deliver for cash. Needless to say, they are in Scotland (a long way from me in Norwich). I have said we like touring Scotland in our camper so would deliver and asked for directions to them. I will soon get bored with wasting their time but for the moment it's amusing me.
I had pretty much the same message when I was selling my car a couple of years ago, along with another one saying something very similar. It’s so sad that someone feels the need to send these messages and worrying that someone vulnerable will fall for the scam. The other annoying ones are the comments on Facebook group messages, usually from men, saying they love the look of your profile and please can you add that as a friend as they are unable to add you.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I've found Facebook Marketplace excellent for selling large items to local people that can collect and you can check their profile but yes, you do get a load of scammers and timewasters. As long as you're aware of these it's not a problem and still an excellent resource.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clewsy

Clewsy

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin
Exp
since June 2014
The scammer has now stopped answering my messages asking for more information about where they are. Enjoyed wasting their time but now I can get on with my day :happy:

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999

Tell him it's just not his day

tell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back