Another newbie

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
looking to purchase
hi all , we have just sold the caravan and are now viewing motorhomes. Oh what fun. We had the caravan from new 2018.
its all a bit daunting , were viewing various models based on the Fiat chassis cab which seems to be the commonest base vehicle,.
lots dont seem to have done any milage or very little but have had afew owners is this normal , were looking at 2008 onwards , any advice is welcome
thanks Andrew.
And happy travels.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome.
Several owners and low mileage isn't unusual.
Even though you've had a caravan you might find this useful..........

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Low mileage is typical, the average MH in the UK probably only does a thousand miles or so a year. Most stay in the UK, only a minority cross the Channel and rack up the miles driving to say Spain or even beyond.

But as a generality, high mileage but newer is better than low mileage and older.

Somewhere on here is a guide to buying a MH which will be well worth reading. Edit: thanks Spriddler :)

And welcome!

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
:hiya2: w2f

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Andrew,

A good time to buy! I have only superficial knowledge of the Ducato Chassis and engines. So I will stick to what I do know! The Mk 7 Ford Transit is a decent chassis and engine. That was current from late 2006 to (from memory) 2014 ish (I am enjoying the sun in Southport atm but can post a link when home tomorrow)

Engine is pretty much bomb proof. The Mk 8 is Euro 6 but has a reputation for problems (Failing injectors and wet belts) So unless buying new and thus with a long warranty I would stick with the Mk 7. Mine is a 5 speed box and has bags of torque. Ford moved to a 6 speed box about 2010/2011.

The Transit has a much softer car like ride than the Ducato. Spares and repairers are plentiful. I get the impression that accredited repairers is becoming problematic for the Ducato in some areas but others will know better than me.

Annual mileage can be quite low compared to cars and several owners might spell trouble but might just be that people changed their mind about layout and so traded in and moved on or maybe just did not like the life and sold up!

Moving on from a caravan you probably have a pretty good idea about preferred layout!

Hope that helps just a little?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
:HelloThere: And:WelcomeFlag:

As others have said, low mileage and high change of ownership is nothing out of the ordinary.

Our first Hymer was 5 years old, hardly run in but we were its third owners.

Happy searching!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back