Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Hi
Yesterday while out and about called in at a place that had 2 new campers for sale. One had been sold the one that had not was very nice. The sales guy said they where getting a second hand one in this week. A bit cheaper and truth probably more in our budget.
So will have a look at that.
We want to have a good look at a few. Before we decided as its a lot of money to us. Have read a few other post on here and one mentioned a book on picking your first van free to members??? cant find it now.
The truth is dont know where to start.
When we get one it will be more a long stay thing not week ends.
Does any one know about the book or where to start?

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Click on 'Resources' in the dark blue line top of page,in there somewhere (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Found it thanks.
I know its a "how long is a piece of string thing" but what would a good budget for a first van be? Cheap and not like camping as things keep breaking or costly then the van ends up an expensive mistake.
I know we will like camping just wont to work out where to start

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Welcome. Its exciting buying your first van. Your'e doing the right thing by posting on here and asking questions.
Maybe we could help better if you tell us what your budget is and what your 'must haves' are e.g number of people sleeping in it etc.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
but what would a good budget for a first van be?
What you can afford would be the answer to this.. but, we went looking for our first moho two years ago with a budget of £50,000 (cash), we ended up spending half that simply because we didn't like anything we saw in the higher price range.. or they didn't suit us.

Also value for money was very important.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
I know it sounds strange. But dont really have a budget yet. The plan would be something along the lines off. We sell up and down size. We use some of the money to buy the van. So only take a small amount of cash small budget or go for it and buy a new van.
See cant even decided that. Dont think we want a new one. In case new ones lose money like cars. But dont want an old one that leaks or lives in a garage

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I know it sounds strange. But dont really have a budget yet. The plan would be something along the lines off. We sell up and down size. We use some of the money to buy the van. So only take a small amount of cash small budget or go for it and buy a new van.
See cant even decided that. Dont think we want a new one. In case new ones lose money like cars. But dont want an old one that leaks or lives in a garage
New ones can leak as well and have many initial problems.. For me the best bet is to buy one that is at least two years old, at that age the chances are any faults have been found and repaired. Also will be a fair bit cheaper if your budget is a tad tight. Just my opinion but it worked for me.. Roy

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know some seem to be in denial, however just driving a new van from the dealership you lose the equivalent of the 20% vat off the value at least

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
Why don’t you tell us which are the ones you have been looking at then we have some idea of the size you are interested in.

If you are going to live in it then you need to consider factoring in the cost of campsites in order to have access to power, water and drainage.
If you are not going to use campsites with electric hook up (they are cheaper) then you will need to consider how to get your power and water etc.

Don’t forget you can look up MOT history on the DVLA website.

Good luck and keep posting especially if you find one you like, there’s lots of knowledge on here!

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Hi and welcome, We are also Newbies and purchased our first Motorhome back in November 2018, We decided to buy a cheaper Motorhome first to see if we would enjoy it and we are, already been away 3 times and planning our next trip. My advice to you would to learn as much as possible ( what to look out for ) before making any purchase whether it be new or old and expect to have to do repairs on older vehicles and if good at diy and mechanics that will help keep costs down. We have an older Motorhome see my picture not telling how much it cost but under £10k and we had it serviced and Habitation check for peace of mind and to make it as reliable as possible. We also have breakdown cover as will most Motorhome owners. Before making any purchase make sure the seller shows you all the appliances working as this will save you money in the long run if they dont. We are in no hurry to sell our current Motorhome just to upgrade it to something newer and far more expensive. Ours is older and a little slower mainly on steep hills but will still sit at 55mph - 60 mph on flat roads, and we are in no hurry. Older vehicles are easier to fix as no computers but finding parts sometimes can be a challenge but they are out there. Have a budget and stick to it as you will need spare cash for the unexpected. Good luck and enjoy. PS dont be put off by the age of a vehicle or if it has had a leak, most Motorhomes will have a leak at some point even relatively new ones ( see Forum on here )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
My input....go and hire one for a weekend ( Bunk Campers?)
Best few hundred quid you will ever ‘waste’

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
HIRE ONE FIRST IF YOUR NOT SURE,,,better to find out first if you like it..BUSBY..

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are going to live in it then you need to consider factoring in the cost of campsites in order to have access to power, water and drainage.
He said:
The plan would be something along the lines off. We sell up and down size. We use some of the money to buy the van.
which I read it as he's getting a smaller house and using some of the capital left to buy a MH, not live in one.

If not and he's gonna live in it then that could mean a different MH etc than one for just tootling around in on holiday.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
He said:

which I read it as he's getting a smaller house and using some of the capital left to buy a MH, not live in one.

If not and he's gonna live in it then that could mean a different MH etc than one for just tootling around in on holiday.
Yes I see what you mean when I read that post of his you have quoted. I think I was referring back to his first post when he said “When we get one it will be more of a long stay thing rather than weekends” and made an incorrect assumption about living in it.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes I see what you mean when I read that post of his you have quoted. I think I was referring back to his first post when he said “When we get one it will be more of a long stay thing rather than weekends” and made an incorrect assumption about living in it.
Its always difficult to fully understand what others mean just from the written word, as it's down to each reader's interpretation. We could both be right depending on whether they decide to downsize the house and then stay there or rent it out and become full-timers! :D2

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
dont think the OP can access the buyers guide untill he has paid to join
He's already paid - he's got a 'blue' name so fully paid up.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'd advise you to go to a motorhome show or large dealership. Go with a clear idea of what you want to do... eg, are you going to take it ski-ing or in cold climates, be off grid for long periods, carry bikes... etc, etc? You'll soon get an idea of price/layout/build, etc.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
We bought our first MH last year.
I have had sailing boats for 20 odd years and so perhaps we instinctively knew a lot about living in small spaces etc.
We bought a Chausson Welcome 85 , 2008 vintage for , £29000
I knew nothing about payload, tyre age, license requirements and layouts but it seems (at least for us) we got the layout right. Fixed bed, centre kitchen, front lounge.
This for me was about £8k more than I had in mind.

Since then I have learned a lot , much of it from these fine forum pages.
There is a 7m switch point for toll charges in France and also speed limit rules above 3500kg.
Payload.
Security.
Campsites.
Insurance.
etc.
etc.

Browse these fora and you will learn a lot.

I would suggest considering:-

layout.
Do you want to make up a bed every night or do you need a fixed bed.
Lounging space.
Will you accommodate guests and how ill they sleep.
Check out number of belted seats vs how many berths.
Payload , how much have you got.
Tyre age(this one caught me out and I have since replaced all tyres) , motorhome tyres , generally do not wear out they get 'too old'
Size of fridge etc.
Heating.
Storage , of stuff, of bikes etc.
Gas bottle capacity.(do you need a refillable tank)

and and and .

Alaways happy to help , pm me with a specific question.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back