Android headset power (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 115
Exp
2 years
I've fitted an 9" EKIY T7 android headset into our 2020 Elddis Autoquest 115 and its brilliant piece of kit
Got everything working how I want, other than the longest it will stay on is 5 minutes after the ignition is turned off
I've been in touch with the EKIY helpdesk who are really helpful, but say 5 minutes is the max
Has anyone worked out where on the radio to connect a direct feed to get around this please?
From looking at the looms on the radio, a power supply goes into the canbus, which when the ignition is turned on, it sends a second power connection to the main radio connector block
Many thanks

Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
Without a pinout diagram of the connector, I'd suggest simply grounding a multimeter's negative to the chassis somewhere and touching the pins on the loom that connects to the android headset one by one until you find the live wire. Obviously with the ignition on...

In theory you should then be able to find a permanent live from the fuse box, pop a piggy back fuse on it, and run a permanent live up to the unit.

In an ideal world you'd de-pin the connector, find a compatible terminal, crimp it to the new wire and pop it back into the connector. The pins and connectors are readily available online. I got some from eBay to make my own adapter harness for the Sprinter when I swapped the OEM stereo for a Pioneer as I needed hands free calling. The parts were really inexpensive.

I have very little experience with Canbus electrics but from what I've heard they can be funny about having wires cut.

All my aftermarket permanent live feeds come from my leisure batteries which both means I can still drive away if I forget to turn them off, and that I'm not touching the vehicle electrics / canbus.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I would get 3 way switch connect one side to leisure battery and other to starter with middle as off then once on site if you want radio on set to leisure battery then off and set to starter once you drive off. Then on leisure side it can be on permanently and on starter off after 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
our 2020 ducato came without any radio or headunit.
I ran a fused and switched live direct from the battery to an android unit. Connected the red power and yellow(if I remember the correct colour) together from the head unit to that wire.
Removed the power(red) and memory(yellow) wire from the vehicles connector block. Plugged that block and the block from the head unit together (think I needed an adapter which is where I cut and terminated the vehicle wires and attached my new power feed) and fortunately it all worked.

It's just what I did. It might work for you but no guarantee.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TrevMcRev
Jan 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Sunseeker 115
Exp
2 years
Thanks everyone
To clarify, when I say canbus, its the one that came with the radio and enables the steering wheel controls etc and is the box on the right in the picture, not one on the van.
The main 12v power is the thicker yellow cable coming down on the left which has a spur going over to the can bus which in turn supplies 12v via the red wire from the canbus over to the main radio block when the ignition is switched on
I have a switched feed from the fuse box to use for now and if all goes OK, I plan later to go for a 3-way so we can switch to hab power when parked up
Radio loom & canbus.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Our old Rapido has the head supply direct from the leisure batteries as I found out once I'd disconnected the batteries for some rewiring, After reconnecting no radio or satnav but the reversing camera display still worked, I couldn't find the security code to reset the unit and eventually downloaded a fix.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back