Android Expert Required - Help please (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Late last evening I was working on my tablet, an elderly Sony Xperia, when I noticed that it needed a bit of a clear out. I started Avast Cleanup as I have done countless times and the program has frozen and remains so this morning. I would reboot it but I can't switch the tablet off, and any "button" I touch simply places a green rectangle around the function and does nothing, this applies to the power off and restart buttons also. I have tried holding down the power button but again nothing. I suspect that just switching it off and rebooting would correct the problem but how do I do that? Any help and / or advice will be gratefully received.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If there's not a pinhole reset button on the back, or sides - the generic android soft reset is hold down the "volume up" button and the "power" button at the same time for a few seconds.

It may reboot into recovery mode - choose the normal start option

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Holding the power button for ~30 seconds should power off the device regardless. The vast majority of devices have a hardware (not software) function to force this to happen... If not... wait until it runs out of juice?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Holding the power button for ~30 seconds should power off the device regardless. The vast majority of devices have a hardware (not software) function to force this to happen... If not... wait until it runs out of juice?
yeah you are probably not waiting long enough, 30 seconds is a long time when you are waiting, we have had other tablets do it and have always managed to turn them off eventually.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you can get the back off pull the battery. Might not be the ideal solution but it's either pull the battery or let it flat if everything else fails.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the suggestions. There are no pin holes visible but I was able to switch it off by holding down "volume up" button and the "power" button at the same time. I was then able to power it up again and it seemed to go through the correct start but although the screen has reverted to the normal front page there is a green rectangle edging the whole screen and if I touch any function "button" the rectangle move to surround it and nothing else happens. Any other suggestions will be gratefully received :xsmile:.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From what I can find on the Web it appears to be an accessibility issue

Can you access the settings option by dragging the top of the screen down

If so go to accessibility and disable EVERYTHING that's been turned on, save and reboot.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks @pappajohn I will give it a try. In the meantime a bit of an update. I have now found that if I touch a function or app "button" the function gains the green rectangle. If I then tap it several times (four or five) the function works. I have been able to navigate to setting and some other thing in this way. It is far from working normally but is improving. Now as suggested I need to find what needs to be reset. Please keep the ideas coming (y).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In accessibility look for TALKBACK that can have a green border.
Turn it off, with everything else.
You can always turn things back on later and if one causes the problem to appear leave it off

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I admit that I did have web access and was doing my best, but your search skills proved to be better than mine. Thanks again. It just goes to show anything is possible with the Fun :xgrin:.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It might also be worth looking at how to do a complete system reset. Not that you need one now but Androids are fairly easy to basically carry out what might be called on a PC a clean install. Google will describe how to do it on your model. You will of course lose any files or photos not backed up but if you have been able to do a backup of all the apps the thing will rebuild itself though it might take a few hours while it downloads all the updates.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
It might also be worth looking at how to do a complete system reset. Not that you need one now but Androids are fairly easy to basically carry out what might be called on a PC a clean install. Google will describe how to do it on your model. You will of course lose any files or photos not backed up but if you have been able to do a backup of all the apps the thing will rebuild itself though it might take a few hours while it downloads all the updates.

I appreciate the comment @DBK but the tablet seems to be working normally now, so on the basis that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I will leave well alone ;).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I appreciate the comment @DBK but the tablet seems to be working normally now, so on the basis that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I will leave well alone ;).
Yes, I wasn't suggesting you need to do it but it might be worth considering for the future. It really cleans out the rubbish. :)

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, I wasn't suggesting you need to do it but it might be worth considering for the future. It really cleans out the rubbish. :)

Oh okay. I have found the reset function under settings and will keep it in mind, thanks. As you say these things do seem to be able to set themselves up from new and presumably from reset. I have just given Dorset Lady a new Samsung tablet which I set up or rather I answered about five question as it set itself up :cool:. Too dammed clever for its own good :LOL:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back