Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Hi All

We are going to head of for about 2 1/2 weeks in May and want to do the Alps just the 2 of us with the electric mountain bikes on the back, and I have a couple of questions.

What is the best area of the Alps to visit we are thinking of starting off in the Bavaria area then on from there

Would I be best stopping on sites every night due to expensive electric bikes on the rear

Recommendations of places to visit please

LB

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I went to switzerland for the first time last year and loved it. We stayed a few days on lake Sarnen, nice cycle route around lake, then onto Lauterbrunnen. To be honest all of it is stunning you can`t go wrong for scenery.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi All

We are going to head of for about 2 1/2 weeks in May and want to do the Alps just the 2 of us with the electric mountain bikes on the back, and I have a couple of questions.

What is the best area of the Alps to visit we are thinking of starting off in the Bavaria area then on from there

Would I be best stopping on sites every night due to expensive electric bikes on the rear

Recommendations of places to visit please

LB
More bikes stolen from campsites than wild spots from what I've heard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
In Sept we spent 10days going down the Rhine to Colmar, where the Marina cost €15.44 inc EHU and we could do some laundry (€3).

Into the Black Forest to Altglashuten, where €10 (stelplatz) + €1 (EHU) saw us stopped on a quiet patch adjacent to a train station. A free ticket would allow us travel to Basel or Karlsruhe plus about 20miles east but the tracks were closed for maintenance [bus travel was also free]. Walking and cycling routes radiate from here.

Via Lake Konstanz we picked up the German Alpine Road near Lindenberg im Allgau [€10, "free" EHU].

Nesselwang [€10 + 0.50 EHU] provided lovely views of ski-lifts up the adjacent mountain.

Fussen [€15 + €2 EHU] allowed for more laundry and showers. (Neuschwanstein castle nearby.)

(We didn't stop at Garmish-Partenkirchen but we did take the cog railway to the top of Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain [€56 each but worth it].)

Einseiden [free because the machine was out-of-order + €2 EHU] was very close to the lovely lake.

Cheimsee [€6 inc EHU] was alongside the largest lake in Germany.

(We liked the stellplatz at Reit im Winkl but didn't stop en route to Konigsee and Berchtesgaden).

End of the truly Alpine section.

Trostberg [free + €1 EHU] was a good stop en route to Passau [€8 + €1 EHU] although we did call in at Burghausen stellplatz (longest castle in the world) and a short but convoluted climb to Ach for cheap Austrian fuel.

The Bavarian Wald Visitor Centre near Neuschonau is worth seeing and suitable for cycling, as was our next stop of Bischofmais, a ski centre which changes to a cycling centre when the snow disappears AND provides free overnighting and free electricity.

Allowing for getting there and back, I can highly recommend our route! As you may appreciate, we don't use campsites.

Roads were good quality, usually wide with little traffic and good views. Obviously, some 25% climbs and hairpin bends were encountered, particularly around Berchtesgaden.

Gordon

Some of the free electricity arose from previous folk not using all of the power for which they had paid.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Rapido
Thanks for such a detailed reply very good info there thank you

Thanks to the other replies too

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
If you fancy Switzerland, the area around Interlaken is spectacular - just avoid Interlaken itself.

Camping Wang, despite the dodgy name, is lovely - any campsite where you can sit outside and see golden eagles circling below you is pretty spectacular.....

It is expensive, not by Swiss standards, but by any other! Nearly everything in Switzerland is expensive!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It depends on the time of year you go..

Bavaria is a wonderland for us... as are the south easterly areas of Austria
But at this time of year, unless you are in to Skiing , such places are not great.. We have friends in Augsburg and some are virtually snowed in while others we are meeting in Benidorm ... ( Say no more ! )

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Really depends on which part of the Alps. We have spent the last 2 years cycling in the French Alps, both the northern and in particular the southern Alps.

Then there is the Vercors area, simply stunning, areas around Briancon and not to forget the mountains around Barcelonnette.

If you want any details feel free to PM me.

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
I stayed for three weeks at Ferme Noemi a couple of years ago. It’s near Bourg D’Oisans. If you have road bikes it’s near the Alp d’Huez that’s always good fun to cycle up. If you have mountain bikes then at the the top of the alp you can hook yer bikes onto chair lifts and then ride down the hills without the effort of staggering up. The campsite owners are fluent in English, in fact they are English, and also French .

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Jus, sayin, - I see Mr Lane boy is a youngster but I cannot see how the road up to Alpe d could EVER be described as fun - gives me palpitations in the car, and the journey down is even more terrifying, Brake brake pray. The area is utterly beautiful and Ferme Noemi a delight ( we have passed it many times on route to ski.)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We went to the Morzine area a few years ago but Alsace is really nice too. One thing to think about is once you are up a mountain its an awfully long way down and up the next one!!!!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Did the alpine autostrada last year and stayed at a couple fo those places and Chiemsee is wonderful but nowhere near the mountains in terms of cycling but a great stop and Fussen obviously.
I have no interest in climbing any of those mountains on a bike or even an electric bike having nearly done a Tommy not even half way up Ventoux !
From the areas i have seen Alpe D'huez is a stunner. You park 21 hairpin turns and a mile upwards then can take the cable car up another mile with your bikes. Gobsmacked me.
All around that area the views are stunning
Enjoy

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
If you do get to Lauterbrunnen, and I would heartily recommend it, particularly if you are into walking, then don’t stop at the campsite in Lauterbrunnen itself - far too crammed in, IMHO. Go on a few more kilometers to the Breithorn site, which is much nicer! There is a lovely circular walk from there to the end of the valley, then up to Murren, back along to above Lauterbrunnen, and either walk or take the cable car back down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back