Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
Here's a winter tyres test from a German motorhome mag from 2022. I'll try and find the latest one. We have the conti winter tyres fitted. Last winter we were in Lapland, where it was rather cold and snowy. We didn't see any tarmac just fresh snow over compacted snow. However, not one vehicle was fitted with snow chains, just winter tyres. They were not hanging around either
Perhaps they were studded tyres, not winter tyres.

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Interesting, maybe for those who were bombing around. I walked around the town centre car park and didn't see any. They were mostly the new mountain logo.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Perhaps they were studded tyres, not winter tyres.
Yes. Nearly everyone had studded tyres in Norway and Lapland when we were there in Oct / Nov. They get much more ice there hence the studded tyres. I did develop studded tyre envy as I only had winter tyres. Worth mentioning there's a difference in compound with winter tyres for Arctic regions compared with say Germany and Austria. I believe they use an even softer winter compound in Arctic regions.

Aug 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
I have never had a problem in the past with standard tyres, however it is not unknown for those whom are not complying, to be directed to a side parking area and await until it is safe to drive further on,after the weather improves.

chains must be fitted if going up ,to ski resorts at the designated area`s or socks, they must only be fitted to the driving wheels.
on stating the previous i have never seen buses fitted with either, going to and fro from resorts.
If you put just two winter tyres on your car—whether that's on the front or back—it will negatively impact your handling, making difficult conditions even more dangerous. It is important to always put a full set of winter tyres on your car, not just two.

I am sure others on here will be able to offer their experiences and possible solutions.
be safe do not take the risk with severe weather front.

View attachment 953593
This is very interesting. I currently have a single winter tyre on the front, so that sounds like a bad idea.... For one trip a year to the ski resorts, it sounds better to have general purpose tyres and chains, forget winter tyres altogether.
I am also surprised to learn chains should not be fitted to the rear wheels. What negative impact would that actually have?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back