jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
I'm getting lots of samples arriving ready for my new business. Another one turned up today but i can't supply any of you guys. Sorry i got in bother the other day. What i did find interesting is how aggressively some people think that all in one systems are the devil's work . I understand how built in battery systems in campervans with seperate batteries and inverters etc etc are absolutely the best option available. But for such as myself who has a part time camper that also becomes a van and also becomes an 8 seat minibus there is a need for all in one carry around power sytems. Battery fans seem to hate them with a passion. But how would their sytem power a tent. Or fishing by a riverbank. Please note. I am not selling these to anyone on this forum. Just interested to know why the battery mob hate them so much? 😊

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't know about hate but on a forum where most are motorhomers rather than campervan owners (or have toilets water heaters bathrooms etc) an all in one battery pack has few if any advantages. I for one can see the advantages in a dual purpose van/camper but how many on here have one? I would sooner have separate bits so it one goes belly u I just swap one bit out.
By the way I hate the idea of anyone fishing near me having power for radios music a TV etc etc!!!

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
I don't know about hate but on a forum where most are motorhomers rather than campervan owners (or have toilets water heaters bathrooms etc) an all in one battery pack has few if any advantages. I for one can see the advantages in a dual purpose van/camper but how many on here have one? I would sooner have separate bits so it one goes belly u I just swap one bit out.
By the way I hate the idea of anyone fishing near me having power for radios music a TV etc etc!!!
Of course for a factory built motorhome they are no good. That's why I'm taking about them in the self build section. I have had a few shall we say enthusiastic messages from motorhome owners who really do seem to hate them. I get their argument but wow I'm talking to a different kind of owner 😂😂 i don't go fishing. I assumed fisherman would want lights and a coffee machine and toaster. Do they really watch telly? 😊

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
In your situation I'd still have a built in system, they are handy in any vehicle but in a van you would use it for power tools and tool battery charging. Wouldn't take much room up and a portable system is heavy to be moving in and out.

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
In your situation I'd still have a built in system, they are handy in any vehicle but in a van you would use it for power tools and tool battery charging. Wouldn't take much room up and a portable system is heavy to be moving in and out.
I really can't have built in because my bus is often an 8 seat minibus. It's a Nissan Elgrand. I made a lift in/out camper pod for it when i want to kip in it and my powerstation slots nearly between 2 seats that are not in use. It is chuffin heavy though. You're right 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I'm guessing the majority of self builders on here build on lwb panel Van conversions (pvc) probably 75% fiat et al..

I'd think you have better success on T5 transporter, transit or Renault Traffic forums.

Cheers James

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I think it was more your use of the term 'Solar' that caused confusion and then disquiet. Drop that word and use the Powerpack terminology. I take my hat off to you for your courage in starting this new business, I do mean that sincerely. Starting any business not only needs some financial acumen, it also requires raw physical courage to take on the challenges that may well defeat you, yet you and other entrepreneurs are willing to rise to it. Without folk like you there would be nothing in the shops for the more timid of us to buy.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I think traders with tools to charge will love them!

If I was a gas fitter, I would be buying one.

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
I think it was more your use of the term 'Solar' that caused confusion and then disquiet. Drop that word and use the Powerpack terminology. I take my hat off to you for your courage in starting this new business, I do mean that sincerely. Starting any business not only needs some financial acumen, it also requires raw physical courage to take on the challenges that may well defeat you, yet you and other entrepreneurs are willing to rise to it. Without folk like you there would be nothing in the shops for the more timid of us to buy.
Solar generator is a term that gets used an awful lot in the states. I suppose its a little like everyone saying. Where's the hoover when they can't find their dyson or saying they have a forklift licence etc when no such thing exists. It's not really the end of the world for me 😁 but i suppose some are more pinnickety. Life's too short eh? Thanks for your best wishes on my venture. 😁

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
I think traders with tools to charge will love them!

If I was a gas fitter, I would be buying one.
I like that my van can become a Camper for a weekend then un become one in less than ten minutes. Un become. Loving my new word 😂

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I did the usual google thing and as you say the solar generator terminology does seem common in the USA, at least there are many adverts for them. My objection is that it is neither solar nor a generator. It cannot harvest sunlight on its own. It cannot generate any power. It is merely a battery with a solar panel controller, inverter and 12/5v outputs. It is a very clever powerpack and should be advertised as such. Anything else is misleading and could well land you in trouble should someone rely on its 'ability' to recharge itself. A layman could be forgiven for thinking this device will generate solar power, lets hope they are not relying on it to support some piece of medical equipment.
Good luck with your venture, but please start out on an honest footing.

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
I did the usual google thing and as you say the solar generator terminology does seem common in the USA, at least there are many adverts for them. My objection is that it is neither solar nor a generator. It cannot harvest sunlight on its own. It cannot generate any power. It is merely a battery with a solar panel controller, inverter and 12/5v outputs. It is a very clever powerpack and should be advertised as such. Anything else is misleading and could well land you in trouble should someone rely on its 'ability' to recharge itself. A layman could be forgiven for thinking this device will generate solar power, lets hope they are not relying on it to support some piece of medical equipment.
Good luck with your venture, but please start out on an honest footing.
Honest is an unfortunate word to see there. I'm as honest as the day is long. Oh i fully understand what you mean about how people can take wording as literal. Hehe the boss of the company i do a lot of work for had a meeting with me. It was a little like dragons den. He liked most aspects of what I'm doing then he said. The biggest thing i don't like about your business is that you have to deal with the general public. I'd run a mile from that, were his words 😂😂

Reactions: 68c
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
My two pence worth;
In my eyes this is anything but a solar generator. When you target a certain market audience, expect this very specific niche to be very geeky. A solar generator, it must have the ability to capture, harvest, and convert the solar energy into electric energy or power to be used or stored. Does it do that? If yes then is a solar generator. If not, then by naming it what is not, you will earn the reputation of misleading and loose trust in potential customer. If you would call it AC DC power bank and add the gizmos incorporated in description, it would be more appropriate in my view. If I would be in the market for something similar, my criteria’s would be: autonomy reserve ah, peak AC and DC draw, means of recharging capabilities, and variety of outlets. You covered all of that then you have a package for wider audience. And add the possibility as a side offering for solar charging, like a foldable solar panel or similar.
I have seen this on eBay and ally express already on various sizes.

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
My two pence worth;
In my eyes this is anything but a solar generator. When you target a certain market audience, expect this very specific niche to be very geeky. A solar generator, it must have the ability to capture, harvest, and convert the solar energy into electric energy or power to be used or stored. Does it do that? If yes then is a solar generator. If not, then by naming it what is not, you will earn the reputation of misleading and loose trust in potential customer. If you would call it AC DC power bank and add the gizmos incorporated in description, it would be more appropriate in my view. If I would be in the market for something similar, my criteria’s would be: autonomy reserve ah, peak AC and DC draw, means of recharging capabilities, and variety of outlets. You covered all of that then you have a package for wider audience. And add the possibility as a side offering for solar charging, like a foldable solar panel or similar.
I have seen this on eBay and ally express already on various sizes.
It does that when connected to a suitable solar panel. The panel collects the suns energy and the unit processes that energy via an internal mppt controller and recharges the battery or partly recharges while passing through to a connected device ie fridge etc. I'm not overly fussed what it's called. Call it a helicopter if you want.. I'm not an uptight person. When i market these things I'll be calling them powerpacks. I'm more interested in being fair to people because the mark ups I've seen on these things are horrific. Sorry I'm too laid back 😁

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I think it's a great concept and idea.

How does it compare to the bluetti ones in terms of performance / price??

Cheers James

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
I think it's a great concept and idea.

How does it compare to the bluetti ones in terms of performance / price??

Cheers James
The latest sample is a completely different animal. Suitcase type. Very rugged.. I've been on the lookout for one of these for a while. There's lots of suitcase types out there but they are shockingly bad quality where it looks like someone has taken a de walt tool case and superglued all the odds and sods to it 😂😂. This maker ive found are doing it right though Bespoke case. 2000 cycle cells etc etc the one that landed here the other day is probably the only one in the uk. pre production and has slightly lesser specs than the finished article which by all accounts will be April. I can't give any prices on here. I got in bother even though I'm trying to set up as the fairest retailer in the uk but hey ho 😊 can still talk about the products though as long as i don't sell to anyone on here.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The latest sample is a completely different animal. Suitcase type. Very rugged.. I've been on the lookout for one of these for a while. There's lots of suitcase types out there but they are shockingly bad quality where it looks like someone has taken a de walt tool case and superglued all the odds and sods to it 😂😂. This maker ive found are doing it right though Bespoke case. 2000 cycle cells etc etc the one that landed here the other day is probably the only one in the uk. pre production and has slightly lesser specs than the finished article which by all accounts will be April. I can't give any prices on here. I got in bother even though I'm trying to set up as the fairest retailer in the uk but hey ho 😊 can still talk about the products though as long as i don't sell to anyone on here.
I think you're fine to sell to people on here you just need to register and pay as a trader.

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
I think you're fine to sell to people on here you just need to register and pay as a trader.
Oh 😂 that was never explained. I just got a sarky message and a wipeout 😂😂 i do like a bit of sarcasm but it didn't really help me understand 😁😁

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I think for emergency reserve capacity 1/2 kWh would be great. Not to heavy stow away ready to deploy on those grim dark days when away from ehu and low solar harvest. I’m sure you can come to a agreement with the boss in here and sell at will.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A USA review here:

I found it when trying to find out more. I'm impressed by what I've seen :xsmile:.

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
I think for emergency reserve capacity 1/2 kWh would be great. Not to heavy stow away ready to deploy on those grim dark days when away from ehu and low solar harvest. I’m sure you can come to a agreement with the boss in here and sell at will.
Yes I've been looking at the full range of capacities. 2400wh being my highest and some 384wh coming for the picnic/ overnight types. I should be fully set up by Jan / feb to cater to most.

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
A USA review here:

I found it when trying to find out more. I'm impressed by what I've seen :xsmile:.

Yes that's the one. I have a pre production unit here. Some slight fettling is needed for the final item but pretty good so far

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Does anyone know who is selling this Montek unit in the uk or maybe eurozone? It’s an interesting solution in a portable pack for some of my hobbies, thanks

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The product may be fine, but a suitcase ‘solution’ will not out perform a properly fitted battery automatically charging every time the engine is started or the van plugged into mains.

This forum is always going to be negative to the idea, as it’s clue is in the name, MOTORHOME

You’d be much better discussing your products on www.camperpod.com

Personally, I think that with suitcase power packs, solar generators et al all the discussion about solar is pointless. Depth of February, highest 12vdc requirement, solar diddlysquat, June lowest conceivable 12vdc requirement? 12 volt in abundance.

Again if it were me, I have a leisure battery built into the pod that could be charged up at home during the week, on the assumption that the pod would have to be. stored inside. A split charge relay fitted to the Nissan, so when the eight mini bus seats are removed, the it ‘unbecomes’ a mini bus and the pod is slid in, a simple Anderson plug assembly https://www.pcscables.co.uk/categor...MI2LyuxJXw7QIVz8LtCh140AO1EAAYASAAEgLH0PD_BwE would connect the whole thing up.

As it is, one assumes you already have the ability to plug you pod into your suitcase battery? to power lights pump heater etc? Or do you just drape wires around plugged in as needed?

I know in your first post you said you were looking into a way to charge your suitcase battery, from the vehicle battery, using a plug in inverter in the cigarette lighter to convert 12vdc (from the alternator) to 220vac to allow the supplied charger to ’unbecome’ (your new word) 220vac and ’re become’ 12 vdc, obviously messy and extremely inefficien.

Why not, as you have a manufacturer that can make bespoke cases, and you have a pre-production sample, tell them to include a DC-DC charging facility? It would be so simple for them to do.

Simply put, in a camper a non rechargeable power pack is useless

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
The product may be fine, but a suitcase ‘solution’ will not out perform a properly fitted battery automatically charging every time the engine is started or the van plugged into mains.

This forum is always going to be negative to the idea, as it’s clue is in the name, MOTORHOME

You’d be much better discussing your products on www.camperpod.com

Personally, I think that with suitcase power packs, solar generators et al all the discussion about solar is pointless. Depth of February, highest 12vdc requirement, solar diddlysquat, June lowest conceivable 12vdc requirement? 12 volt in abundance.

Again if it were me, I have a leisure battery built into the pod that could be charged up at home during the week, on the assumption that the pod would have to be. stored inside. A split charge relay fitted to the Nissan, so when the eight mini bus seats are removed, the it ‘unbecomes’ a mini bus and the pod is slid in, a simple Anderson plug assembly https://www.pcscables.co.uk/categor...MI2LyuxJXw7QIVz8LtCh140AO1EAAYASAAEgLH0PD_BwE would connect the whole thing up.

As it is, one assumes you already have the ability to plug you pod into your suitcase battery? to power lights pump heater etc? Or do you just drape wires around plugged in as needed?

I know in your first post you said you were looking into a way to charge your suitcase battery, from the vehicle battery, using a plug in inverter in the cigarette lighter to convert 12vdc (from the alternator) to 220vac to allow the supplied charger to ’unbecome’ (your new word) 220vac and ’re become’ 12 vdc, obviously messy and extremely inefficien.

Why not, as you have a manufacturer that can make bespoke cases, and you have a pre-production sample, tell them to include a DC-DC charging facility? It would be so simple for them to do.

Simply put, in a camper a non rechargeable power pack is useless
I'm sure as you said folk who use motorhomes require a completely different set up. And you are right. I get it 😁 then comes people like me who occasionally use the van for a weekend in the lakes. Completely different take on the idea. And sometimes I'd like to chuck it in a tent too. I see a need for both types of system because i can see that people don't all do the same. During my weekend away i have enough power to run my fridge constantly and lights and tablet for tv. With the bigger bluetti i can even use a microwave. Then i bung it in the mains when i get home. I do like the idea of b2b but i don't really need it.

OP
OP
jagx300

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
Maybe i should try to explain myself a bit better gents 😁 i am in no way whatsoever trying to compare all in one portable power stations to inbuilt systems. I'm fully aware that they are inferior. I'm just talking about my journey of self build weekend camper and how i was frustrated about the huge markups on the kit i wanted so I'm doing something about it for the benefit of folk like me who have lesser campervans for very occasional use. I think Ive chose the wrong forum to talk about it 😂 sorry I'll shurrup. Anyway. I've just got curtains left to figure out. Then I'm off in the spring. Hopefully some amateur photography weekends round the lakes 😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back