'All Hell Let Loose' by Max Hastings (1 Viewer)

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I'm six hours into this magisterial work, which in fluency and detail matches some of Churchill's best, and that's a real compliment!
However, it's heavy stuff, probably far easier to listen to in this Audible version than I imagine it would be if I had to sit and read it!
I was surprised to learn about Spanish antipathy towards the English. Hastings asserts that the British government paid bribes of some £15 million to the Spanish generals to 'suggest' that they didn't mobilise their forces against us!

What is striking is the account of the Soviet invasiom. At one point the Russians were losing 44,500 troops each day, and at the same time Stalin was killing off hundreds of thousands of suspected dissenters, spies and his most able commanders, and closed all the independent radio stations. Total destruction, looting, rape and mutilation was rife on both sides. No wonder the Russians don't appear to be too worried about their losses in the Ukraine...
A rattling good read./listen
Recommended.
John

Amazon product ASIN B005E8A17A

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
This is the trouble with book reviews: after just a few minutes they sink without a trace! :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back