Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
14 years with an RV
For the last fourteen years, we have owned US RV's, An Itasca a class, a fifth wheel Dodge Ram and trailer, and a Coachmen Concord. We have enjoyed our travels and accommodation with them. Big, brash, all bells and whistles, and room enough to hold a dance in :party2:. I like big! But, they can be restrictive.

My wife has been hankering, after a smaller MoHo for ages, to go more places, both locally, and in Britain and Ireland. So, I sold the Coachmen Concord, and started looking........:active:

"Here", she says, looking at her phone, "There's one here in the south of the Island, let's go have a look".

A Devon Aztec XL PVC!!!!! :rofl: Smiling, almost po pooing the idea, I agreed to go see.......And we bought it!

I must say, I am impressed, just two of us, there's ample room. does everything we need, goes anywhere, and we use it for picnics, odd night away, (locally) 2nd car, AND we can park it on our driveway! :Grin:

I never, ever, thought I would succumb to a PVC, especially a FIAT, and doubly especially a comfortmatic, but, I am converted. We have used it more in the three weeks we have had it, than in the last 12 months with the RV.

A good clean and fixing little things has it almost looking new, (it's ten years old), A new solar panel and controller, a good polish, and we are off like Max and Paddy. :hugs:

I am going out in it today to watch the motorcycle practice somewhere around the course, and have a mandatory cuppa. :dance2: I hope I feel as pleased as this when we trot off to Scotland next month.

Craig

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
For the last fourteen years, we have owned US RV's, An Itasca a class, a fifth wheel Dodge Ram and trailer, and a Coachmen Concord. We have enjoyed our travels and accommodation with them. Big, brash, all bells and whistles, and room enough to hold a dance in :party2:. I like big! But, they can be restrictive.

My wife has been hankering, after a smaller MoHo for ages, to go more places, both locally, and in Britain and Ireland. So, I sold the Coachmen Concord, and started looking........:active:

"Here", she says, looking at her phone, "There's one here in the south of the Island, let's go have a look".

A Devon Aztec XL PVC!!!!! :rofl: Smiling, almost po pooing the idea, I agreed to go see.......And we bought it!

I must say, I am impressed, just two of us, there's ample room. does everything we need, goes anywhere, and we use it for picnics, odd night away, (locally) 2nd car, AND we can park it on our driveway! :Grin:

I never, ever, thought I would succumb to a PVC, especially a FIAT, and doubly especially a comfortmatic, but, I am converted. We have used it more in the three weeks we have had it, than in the last 12 months with the RV.

A good clean and fixing little things has it almost looking new, (it's ten years old), A new solar panel and controller, a good polish, and we are off like Max and Paddy. :hugs:

I am going out in it today to watch the motorcycle practice somewhere around the course, and have a mandatory cuppa. :dance2: I hope I feel as pleased as this when we trot off to Scotland next month.

Craig
Craig - you’ve been here a long time, and I cannot believe you’ve just posted that post - WITH NO PHOTOS ?!?!?!

Only when the NMC has seen these can we judge whether you’ve done right or not! :rofl:

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Had a Devon camper years ago it was a good van .
Well Done Thumbs Up GIF by BHVA Ltd

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
My previous vehicle (to the current one) was a Devon Aztec (6m not the XL).

Still regret selling her - might not be the flashiest, most shiny bauble in the Christmas box but they are really well built, old fashioned 'British' quality and everything worked, all the time.

Enjoy yourselves!

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
The Devon Aztec was on our shortlist and a mate has the Aztec XL, very nice with good storage in the "boot".

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009

Craig
Hi.
Pleased for the pair of you.... " ALL good things come in little parcels " Re FIAT..Used to say Fix It Again Tea.....Now say " Flying It Again Tea " ( It CAN pick its skirt up and run when/if needed)......Was a Renault Master fan,but the 2017 Ducato COMFORMATIC...Is winning me over.
Happy safe miles.
Tea Bag

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Enjoy!

I had a Devon conversion - it was a 1984 Bedford CF. Checking the reg, it is still around but the MOT expired 10 years ago 🤭

Apparently the company was formed 60 years ago!

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!

Craig
Well done Craig, on my travels I've always wondered where the bigger RVs park in the UK as it's often an issue parking our small 5.99m van in towns. It must take a lot of planning. I'd imagine you'll save a few quid on the ferry too. Being under 6m our van costs the same as a car on the CalMac ferries in Scotland. ;)
It must seem like a new start, no doubt you'll miss the space for a little while but the positives will easily compensate for that. Enjoy your new van (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
simsy56
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
14 years with an RV
The plus sides are already showing, cheaper insurance that includes breakdown, cheaper road tax, cheaper on fuel, and much cheaper on the ferry (approx £30 more than our Jazz, and £200 cheaper than our 9.4m Concord) and finding diesel is easier than finding LPG for our US RV's.
We even go to Tesco's in it :dance2: We're loving it!

Craig

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
Craig it seems to be an age thing to downsize , for us it was we were just losing the enthusiasm to travel , ten years ago we were always away but now far less.
Good luck with your new van it looks great.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I'll try, but putting photos on forums is testing my extremely limited computer knowledge. ::bigsmile:

Craig
Hi simsy56.
........... At LAST..... A fellow traveller.... I fall at the first hurdle " Copy and Paste ".....??........ The line that comes to mind is..." Ask me one on Spooort Ashleigh "...
Tea Bag. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::rolleyes:(y):drinks:

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We bought a new Devon Montecarlo in 2004. It was excellent and had no issues at all. Only sold it when we moved to the seaside in 2009. Thought as we were living on the beach we wouldn’t tour again. How wrong we were and bought another motorhome within 6 months!

OP
OP
simsy56
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
14 years with an RV
simsy56 Craig is the lack of interior photos the fact that you don’t want folk to see the tea bag drying line hanging inside :giggler:
Oy !!!! That was our secret Larry! Now what will folk think?

Craig

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hanging on the washing line in the Spanish sun , not sure if Tetleys or Yorkshire .
Easy, Tetleys are try angles Yorkshire are square, much easier to hang on the line. You get at least 5 goes from a good Yorkshire bag. Beware PG, they environmentally self destruct. 😵‍💫

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back