Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We are visting the Alhambra on Thursday. I thought I understood the timed tickets thing, but now I’m having doubts.

We intend to stay overnight in the motorhome section of the car park - expensive I know, but it’s very convenient, arriving the evening before. I have bought tickets for 11 am. The plan was to enter at about 10 am or so, look around for a bit, then go to the Nasrid palaces a few minutes before 11 am, and then after the Nasrid palaces, look around a bit more. I believe the timed ticket only applies to the Nasrid palaces?

Could someone who has been recently please confirm that the above plan is sound? Any other tips?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You’re correct
The timed ticket is only for the main palace

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes.

You can spend as time as you like within the grounds. The timed ticket is for the Palace visit.

A worthwhile visit.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
If you haven't paid for a guided tour then seriously consider paying for the audio guide sets. You can get them just before the entrance and they're well worth it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I went there with my first wife in c1992.

Despite that I loved it there

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Sorry - just seen this posting and my response is too late for you, @klaatu .

Hope you had a great day. We did when we visited the Alhambra last Friday - the day after you!.

This may be helpful for anyone else planning a visit. Suggest get in the queue to enter the Palace at least 10 mins before your booked time. Allow around 15 mins to walk from the entrance to the Palace to be sure of being there for your slot. We did not fancy parking close to the Alhambra, both because of the cost and uncertain about the security of leaving the MoHo unattended there. We stayed at the Alto de Vinuelas campsite at Beas (CamperContact sitecode 54128) for 2 nights. Good campsite at 20 Euros with ACSI card, incl electricity. Good restaurant with Menu del Dia at 10 Euros (closed Tuesdays). Very helpful English speaking staff at Reception. They booked tickets for the Alhambra (16 Euro pp for entrance to all of the site and buildings) and printed out the entry passes for us (no queuing to enter). There is a regular bus service from the front gate of the campsite into Granada for 1.80 Euro pp each way. We caught the 09.15, which took a little over 30 mins. A 25 min walk uphill from bus stop in Granada to Alhambra, or taxi for 5 Euro. Booked our entry to the Palace for 13.30, so had plenty of time to see the "park" areas before a snack lunch and entry to the main Palace at our scheduled time. Late afternoon returned to Granada (easy walk downhill) to visit 3 bars for a drink - all served with generous free tapas - and no worry about drink-driving, catching the 18.00 bus back to the campsite in time for supper at the restaurant - serving evening meals from 19.00. The following day we took advantage of the Laundrette facilities at the campsite. All considered, a worthwhile stopover location for an easy, relaxing and trouble-free visit to the Alhambra.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Alhambra Palace car park sounds expensive when compared with nearby sites but isn't in practice. The Palace and its grounds deserve the best part of a day so you end up paying for two nights at a campsite. Add to that the cost of buses or taxis and factor in the convenience of being within 200 yards or so of the entrance and we think the car park is cheaper and better.

Arrive about 5pm and wander down to the ticket office and you can pick up your pre-ordered tickets for the next day without any queues. We went in to the gardens just after 9am the next day and wandered around for a couple of hours before our timed slot in the Palace. About an hour or so in the Palace, then back out to see more of the surrounding gardens. We left about 4pm so only paid for 24 hours and drove half an hour or so towards the coast before stopping for the night at a peaceful free Aire overlooking a reservoir.

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Great information, we're hoping to do Granada in a month or so, so these posts have been really helpful thanks again

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
And our mh is 8 metres will it get up there ?

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Great information, we're hoping to do Granada in a month or so, so these posts have been really helpful thanks again
Make sure you book well in advance, as tickets are often sold out at least a month before. When touring we tend not to plan to far ahead. So first time we were down we were surprised to see that we could not just go on line a few days before to get them. Did not want to wait for 4 or 5 weeks so did not go.

Last spring, when we were again down in Southern Spain, we were really lucky. Tried on-line on a Sunday fully expecting not to be able to get any tickets. Discovered that the only days that tickets were available for in the next month was the following Wednesday and Thursday! Immediately booked them on line and arranged to pick up at the ticket office when we arrived.

As others have said you have to book a time for the Palace itself but you can spend as long as you like in the other parts of the huge complex. But it does get packed with group bookings. Most don't arrive until after 10am and are gone by about 3pm. Best to start early, as soon as it is open.

Last edited:

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for that, the same happened to us a couple of years ago, we turned up to be told no tickets available for a month, so we will book as soon as we get back to Spain, thanks again

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
How much is the car park please
From memory, about 30 Euros for 24hrs when we were there

And our mh is 8 metres will it get up there ?
No problem at all. It is the same park as the coaches use. You pick up a ticket at the barrier and pay and get it validated at the pay stations just before you leave. Drive up to the exit barrier, pop in your validated ticket and away you go

You need the car park furthest away from the ticket office. Follow the signs to the Alhambra. After you have climbed up the hill and started to descend again you will come to a roundabout. Do not turn left for the car parks and Alhambra. Instead go straight over. The sign before the roundabout says it is parking for the cemetery. The sign on the turn off at the roundabout says "P" and "Alhambra caravanas". After the roundabout take the first right slip road. Easiest bet is to have a good look at Google maps and street view before you get there. We didn't but still managed to find it!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for that, the same happened to us a couple of years ago, we turned up to be told no tickets available for a month, so we will book as soon as we get back to Spain, thanks again
You can book on line from anywhere in the world. But make sure you go on the official website otherwise you will pay through the nose.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wasn't that impress with it I think there are far better places to visit in Spain, the boss liked it.
Didn't have any problem with tickets although all sold out online for 3 months the camp site had direct access to their booking system and could get tickets from them for whenever we liked, went the next day.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I was lucky. We arrived on the Friday to the campsite and got tickets online for the Sunday but even tourist information said they were sold out. 22 eu a night no ehu, Would have been cheaper in the car park I guess. The bus cost us 3.60 each to get into the city

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I wasn't that impress with it I think there are far better places to visit in Spain, the boss liked it.
Didn't have any problem with tickets although all sold out online for 3 months the camp site had direct access to their booking system and could get tickets from them for whenever we liked, went the next day.
Disgraceful ................................. you, stopping at a campsite Lenny ............... and admitting it!! You have not only let yourself down, you have let all the other FLTs (Edit - thanks Jim for the change) on here down as well ...................... :D2

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Disgraceful ................................. you, stopping at a campsite Lenny ............... and admitting it!! You have not only let yourself down, you have let all the other Fur Lined Thongs (Edit - thanks Jim for the change) on here down as well ...................... :D2
Disgusting I know but we did get tickets.:)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Beautiful place...

I remember visiting it when I was child and being allowed to clamber all over the lions.
(No, they hadn’t just been built!!)

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
@Millcourt Our paths crossed, we stayed at Beas on Thursday night too, but after our Alhambra visit!

Pity that we did not meet. We arrived Thursday early afternoon, enjoyed the Menu del Dia in the Restaurant, and returned for Friday night after our day at the Alhambra. Could have had a few drinks together, if only we had known. We have a Funster Sticker on the windscreen - did not notice any others! Have moved on with a couple of days in Gibraltar and now in Cadiz. Next heading to Seville before onwards to Portugal. Should you have any similar travel plans do let us know. Hope you are having a great trip.

:sun::drink:

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We arrived Thursday early afternoon, enjoyed the Menu del Dia in the Restaurant
It must be really bad luck that we didn’t meet, as we also arrived early Thursday afternoon, and we were in the restaurant between about 1.30 pm and 3 pm. Another couple did come into the restaurant while we were in there, but we were pretty sure they were Spanish.

We have a Funster Sticker on the windscreen - did not notice any others!
We don’t have a sticker. We were parked on the right just after reception.

Have moved on with a couple of days in Gibraltar and now in Cadiz. Next heading to Seville before onwards to Portugal. Should you have any similar travel plans do let us know.Hope you are having a great trip.
We’re going in the other direction, sadly, currently up in the Sierra Maria.

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Re-reading your posts, I think you were there a week before us!

Sep 6, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Currently planning to tour that area and visit the palace in April/May. What campsite did you use please. I do not like the idea of having to book tickets months in advance and be tied to a date we had to be there. if its possible to get tickets at a campsite once there then thatbwould be great.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Camping Reina Isabel, site is a bit tired but ok, tight for big vans.
Bus stop right outside and shopping centre 2 minutes walk.
Best to ring them about tickets just to make sure.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back