Aldi Moisture Meter ..... any good? (1 Viewer)

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
Hi
Aldi have their moisture meter back in on Thursday - can I ask anyone who has one whether they were any good?
Thanks
Jo

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The Experts and professionals will say waste of money but in my view it will give you an indication.
If you go around the van and most measurements are "x" and you suddenly find a spot that "xxx" at least you know it needs further investigation..

One thing the pics dont show is that this is a 2 prong meter where you push the prongs into the wood for testing. So you need to be careful where you test or you will see holes everywhere.. (y)

Meters without prongs, "non invasive" on ebay for £18 - £25 ish..

I have one of the Aldi type (Maplins) and also one of these.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
They are OK for checking the moisture content of your logs before putting them in the woodburner. But as already said, they have prongs that need pushing into whatever you are testing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have one works well. I find as long as the prongs touch the reading is the same as pushing it in.
Just used it actually to check my logs (y)All 0% didn't move to the extent I was worried it wasn't working so had to find something damp to check it:D2

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
I’m not sure what the Aldi meter costs but I use a Brennensthul Damp Detector, which is currently £17.55 on Amazon. Easy to use, and does what it says on the box.

Some folks might find this guide helpful:

Last edited:

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
Which is the £40 model that someone mentioned?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I’m not sure what the Aldi meter costs but I use a Brennensthul Damp Detector, which is currently £17.55 on Amazon. Easy to use, and does what it says on the box.

Aldi one is £9.99 :D

Broken Link Removed

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I use my Aldi one for checking firewood, didn't fancy sticking the prongs in my motorhome but will give it a try as @gus-lopez says. Also there are 3 or 4 different modes to set it to, depending on what substance you're testing.
As an aside, my neighbour took his caravan for a trade in, the salesman went round it with a damp meter and showed him the "poor readings" around the windows, he had no idea they were damp. When he was telling a friend about it, his friend explained the salesman would be touching the rubber strip around his windows, apparently the carbon black in the rubber affects the value shown, giving a false higher reading !

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

We have the same one, it also has settings to switch between masonry and wood.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
If you try to measure your hand with most moisture meters thy will read between 15% +20% unless you have wet hands , I used to use all kinds of different ones in my work. The Aldi one is basic but accurate I have had one for about 4 years and its ok for the price.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
If you try to measure your hand with most moisture meters thy will read between 15% +20% unless you have wet hands , I used to use all kinds of different ones in my work. The Aldi one is basic but accurate I have had one for about 4 years and its ok for the price.
Used to teach apprentices to use these and to prove they worked, did each one in the hand (minimal prong depth!) and even these surface tests produced readings from almost nothing to about 60%. Make if that what you will. They will find damp at the surface.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
All you need is a method of indicating any damp and a cheap damp meter will do this if you get a damp spot .

I have a cheap eBay one that I used to check with reading from service engineers report and it was the same readings so cheap does not mean inaccuracies .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have asked several tmes if there is a damp meter that can check a double aluminium sandwich MH construction

But I never got a readback.:D

Mine is this construction, and I have a non-invasive meter as obviously you cant use the prong ones. It appears to work though any damp with this construction is probably rare.

Try ebay, they cost more than the prong type but not hugely expensive.

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
When I was working (nearly 20 yrs ago now) one of my duties was advice and control of drying out new and refurbished buildings . To aid this I had some very expensive meters etc. Very often I could find the damp level in drying plaster with my thumb nail.
So my advice would be is to use the best meter you can afford but don’t pay to much attention to readings under 20% but rather carefully keep records of the readings you take. Look for trends and as readings approach 20% seek expert advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back