Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
Can anyone give advice for a Burstner 747-2 Alde Heating system on roughly how much fluid it holds . I need to drain and refill?

May 21, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry it’s a bit of a blurred photo. I’ll be at the workshop tomorrow and will dig them out and get you a better picture.
The supply from the pump is going to the flow side on the right, return on the left.
I started the pump with the valve on the flow side closed. Opened the bleed valve on top of the flow manifold to expel any air and when I had a good bubble free flow from the bleed closed it and opened the valve on return side to start the flush. If you want to stop the flush for any reason just close the return hose valve. I had a clear jar with a little new fluid and an empty jar on hand so I could take a sample from the return and compare the colour.

IMG_5458.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donkster
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you, that’s exactly how I have planned to connect but will similar fittings, I’m waiting to do it but still not sure which fluid to use maybe I’m over cautious there Glycol and another with Glycerine both should be ok.
IMG_3386.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Thank you, that’s exactly how I have planned to connect but will similar fittings, I’m waiting to do it but still not sure which fluid to use maybe I’m over cautious there Glycol and another with Glycerine both should be ok.
View attachment 909709
EDITED A FEW TIME as I got further down hole...

G13 is the current recommendation, by Alde being

Alde Premium G13 Antifreeze Glycol 4070-120​

Confusing given that G13 spec list base as Glycerin(e) base & Purplr/Violet but Alde Premium title contains "Glycol" and is Pink.

G13 - Glycerine based, so environmentally friendly​

The G13 has a purple/violet colour and has the same exceptional cooling and antifreeze performance as G12++. The main difference: it is manufactured using glycerin instead of glycol. Glycerin is much less harmful to the environment than glycol. One is a bi-product of biodiesel production, the other is produced from mineral oil.

AND Elsewhere it says:
Coolant Concentrate G13 is an engine coolant concentrate (antifreeze) based on monoethylene glycol and glycerine.

Links below to Alde Premium & other G13 option, noting 10 years Guarantee for this one but given cost probably still do @ 5yrs.

Youtube videos show generic G13, bu tpink, not Alde Premium being used, making it cheaper.

Link

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donkster
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you Jess
There is such a price difference between them all I suppose if they say it’s G13 , G12++ etc and one is more environmentally friendly then I guess I should use the glycerine type, thanks for the link that Holts is the cheapest one ✔️🙃
Just finished putting together the pipe work. I will explain in detail with video or pictures just how to do it for others when I’m finished ✅
That’s if others want to know?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I just went to Alde Moosewerks who did the fluid exchange and a full service of the system for just under £300. Looking at the price for 30 litres of Alde fluid it might be cheaper to get them to do it.
If you hunt around you can find the right spec g13 for £45 for 20 litres which should be enough for the job

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donkster
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
I just went to Alde Moosewerks who did the fluid exchange and a full service of the system for just under £300. Looking at the price for 30 litres of Alde fluid it might be cheaper to get them to do it.
I just want to be able to do it myself, if it breaks while I’m away then I can fix it etc. it’s not about the money like to take care of my Motorhome myself. Plus if you do it yourself you know it’s done right.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donkster
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
I just want to be able to do it myself, if it breaks while I’m away then I can fix it etc. it’s not about the money like to take care of my Motorhome myself. Plus if you do it yourself you know it’s done right.
Just saying you don’t always get what you pay for theses days

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Reading threads like this one make me so very glad that I don't have (and never ever will have) a van with an Alde heating system.

Radiators, pipes and joints filled with liquid stretching around your motorhome...

Why?

(It's not, and never will be, a house.)

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
Reading threads like this one make me so very glad that I don't have (and never ever will have) a van with an Alde heating system.

Radiators, pipes and joints filled with liquid stretching around your motorhome...

Why?

(It's not, and never will be, a house.)

If you disregard the cost, you could liken it to living in a house in winter, would you feel more comfortable with a fan heater of full central heating.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I already have blown air "central" heating...

...and not a water pipe or radiator or house in sight!

I have Truma blown air and Truma/Aldi under floor/radiators in my van and I never use the blown air option, walking around barefoot in the middle of winter is great :giggle:

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
I already have blown air "central" heating...

...and not a water pipe or radiator or house in sight!

If that is what you think then OK I'll put it another way, on a cold winters day, two vans, identical in every way other than the heating system.
From starting the Alde system will take slightly longer to achieve the set temperature, once at set point it will maintain without the fluctuations you get with Truma blown systems, an added advantage is you don't get the noise of a jet aircraft taking off when it is trying to achieve the set temperature, most people find the system nicer to live with.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donkster
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
If that is what you think then OK I'll put it another way, on a cold winters day, two vans, identical in every way other than the heating system.
From starting the Alde system will take slightly longer to achieve the set temperature, once at set point it will maintain without the fluctuations you get with Truma blown systems, an added advantage is you don't get the noise of a jet aircraft taking off when it is trying to achieve the set temperature, most people find the system nicer to live with.
We all have our preferences which we prefer I guess 🙃

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donkster
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
Update
The flush gear is made up, pump arrived and tested all working fine. Ordered: should arrive June 19 Triple QX purple G13 and summer coolant fluid ready mixed. Very little difference in price for concentrate.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I did ours during the pandemic, buying the G13 concentrate and distilled water, both from Euro Car Parts.
At the time, it would have cost me considerably more if I had bought the premix bottles.

As I had to drain rather than flush the new fluid through, it did take me considerably more time to bleed the system fully.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donkster
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
I did ours during the pandemic, buying the G13 concentrate and distilled water, both from Euro Car Parts.
At the time, it would have cost me considerably more if I had bought the premix bottles.

As I had to drain rather than flush the new fluid through, it did take me considerably more time to bleed the system fully.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
It’s good to know you done your own 👍 it was something like a tenner difference, so I saved myself the trouble of mixing. Andycap63 said that it’s probably better to flush the a drain. Same brought mine from Euro Carparts

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Andycap63 said that it’s probably better to flush the a drain.
Which I would have done, had the pressure from the small 12v pump not kept blowing the pipes off the flow and return adapters, no matter how much I tightened the jubilee clips. :doh:

Jock. ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donkster
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
You are not wrong. ;)

BTW, I can't believe that you have scribbled all over that nice hide furniture with a black marker pen, just for the benefit of others. OMG. :Eeek: ............................. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
😂😂😂 the wife would of killed me if I had. As it is she just said omg can’t believe you have it on the seats 😳

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Donkster
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
Update
The full flush Alde Heating System went really well all done.
Fluid costs £104
Two videos first flushing water through second flushing antifreeze through.
Not sure if videos are uploading?
I can tell others that a Burstner 747-2 takes 20 litres of fluid to do a full Alde Heating system flush.
Sorry can’t upload videos

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back