Air-bag warning light - why no legal action? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Has anybody tried to sue Fiat/Peugeot over the airbag warning light issue at all on theirbase vans in all the years this has been going on?
There is clearly a design fault in the softwear of these modules.
Just because a battery runs down, it shouldn't affect the performance of the airbag. Power is being generated as the vehicle is moving, so the power needed for the airbag shouldn't be compromised, surely? Thousands of people have been forced to spend a lot of money correcting an issue that surely shouldn't even arise in the first place.
Why should it even be an MOT failure if the light comes on? Airbags don't save lives - the seat belts do. I myself have survived a head-on collision many years before airbags were invented. In fact, all 4 passengers in both cars were unharmed whilst the vehicles involved were written off!. I can understand all other MOT failures – brakes, suspension, lights, seat belts, wear & tear etc. being of significant importance, but a warning light that barely compromises the safety of travel? And a warning light that has only existed in the past 20 years. Prior to that millions of vehicles were made with airbags, but no warning light.

Something really stinks somewhere.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
T
Airbags don't save lives - the seat belts do. I myself have survived a head-on collision many years before airbags were invented. In fact, all 4 passengers in both cars were unharmed whilst the vehicles involved were written off!.
That's not always the case though.
Talking to a mate the other day.... He too was in a head-on collision, the other driver fell asleep.
He shattered just about every bone in his foot, the other driver broke both legs.
Seat belts AND AIRBAGS saved injury further up.
Both cars destroyed.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
T

That's not always the case though.
Talking to a mate the other day.... He too was in a head-on collision, the other driver fell asleep.
He shattered just about every bone in his foot, the other driver broke both legs.
Seat belts AND AIRBAGS saved injury further up.
Both cars destroyed.
Agreed. Airbags have been proven to improve safety.

I think the issue with the airbag module is it's only affecting vehicles that get a low battery for a long period. Which doesn't tend to happen to work vans because they get used too frequently. Motorhomes only make up a very small percentage of Fiat's market. And after the base vehicles are heavily modified when being converted into motorhomes, a court might find them no longer responsible for electrical gremlins. I think suing on the basis of a design defect wouldn't be assured off success.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Had this trouble,got a new Gismo/thingy and had it fitted. Why have it done ? MOT/OPI here .If the light does not go ON/ OFF when starting and putting seat belts on its a failure.
My cure for this over the years for Red lights.....depending... Electrical screw driver through the bulb. This is no longer allowed......( As in Bypass a frown. :rolleyes: )
Tea Bag

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
At a guess it’s cost prohibitive to take on fiat and more hassle than its worth to most of us.

It does not seem enough of an issue for the trade bodies/ authorities to put pressure on fiat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Could be pressure from an " Insurance Co. " Only wants one Ins. Company worker to have it happen to them/heared about it....." Every little helps..". Had a little prang over in Ireland with the c/van. ( It ran forward on its own...... DOH ! about 2 foot and glazed a front corner ) Owned up my fault. Back home in derbyshire,looking out of the front window,some bloke is down on one knee checking the pressure.. Nips out quick and wanted to know " What............... oooops ,( its before the Watershed ) ".... He said " I am from the insurance co and i have to check the tyre pressures........... " WHAT !!! This is about 3 weeks after i had got back.
FIAT.... Ducato...Grown to like it, but while we ought to sue them for this fault,was pressure put on them for the Black speedo dial and red needle ? Can i claim 11 euro for my HUD display unit ?
They say you more attention to risk assesment as you get older but....A WHOLE ELEVEN EURO'S because i cannot see the speedo very well :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:. That never entered my mind before..............looking at the speedo............ Now looking at the rev counter,making sure the Revs were Top of the Green YES..đźš›(y)
Tea Bag

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
t....A WHOLE ELEVEN EURO'S because i cannot see the speedo very well :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:. That never entered my mind before..............looking at the speedo............ Now looking at the rev counter,making sure the Revs were Top of the Green YES..đźš›(y)
this is why you travel at warp factor eleven

Feb 16, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
I have had this light come on twice in the past 20 months. We are full-rimers and use the van 365 so it has never had a flat or near flat battery. In fact, the light re-appeared two weeks ago after stopping at a fuel station!!! IMO something definitely wrong with the module not the battery

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back