After fitting a lithium battery and a B2B, what final checks do I do before fitting fuses...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
20+ years in 1990 VW T3 and Florida. Hymer now...
Hello All

I've cracking on with fitting a Renogy B2B (with solar), busbars, 2000W inverter, shunt and lithium battery. I'll check all connections , but before I fit the fuses what electrical tests can I do to make sure that all is well?

Once it's powered up, I know that I'll have to set (or check the lithium profile in the B2B) and look for hot spots.
As I'm not anticipating using EHU much do I set the EBL to the gel setting?
Is it a good idea to check the tightness of the electrical connections once in a while?

If there is anything else please tell me.

Does anyone else get nervous before the big switch on, or is it just me!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
First, check that the split charge relay is disabled or the appropriate fuse removed and the connection labelled.

Set the EBL to GEL,

Set the B2B to lithium before powering up.

I would fit a lowish value fuse for the inverter to check it powers up giving 240 volts (no load) and if all is well fit the correct value fuse.

Fit the fuses one at a time and check each circuit before proceding.

OP
OP
growly_bear
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
LostInSpace Thank you.
First, check that the split charge relay is disabled or the appropriate fuse removed and the connection labelled.
Good point. I've used the starter battery +ve as the feed for the B2B, so it won't catch out whoever owns it in the future.

Set the B2B to lithium before powering up.
mmm can't do that as there is no mechanical DIP switches or the like. It's software driven. But, I'm thinking of using the LA battery to do basic tests (not running up the inverter though), so I can then set it to lithium.

I would fit a lowish value fuse for the inverter to check it powers up giving 240 volts (no load) and if all is well fit the correct value fuse.
Is that in case the inverter is faulty?

Fit the fuses one at a time and check each circuit before proceding.
Good idea.

I was thinking of doing a check of +ve to -ve busbars to test for a short.

Thanks for your help

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Last year I fitted a Renogy b2b I used a LA first to check everything worked ok. I think the Renogy B2B automatically detects the battery type???

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Set the EBL to GEL
Can anyone tell me why? The absorption voltages are the same but the gel setting absorption time is 8 hours, lithium batteries need very little absorption time maybe an hour or so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
growly_bear
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
Check the “Use by date” and operation of your fire extinguisher? 🤭😉
Fire extinguisher, goggles and insulated gloves at the ready (truly i hope not though)!

OP
OP
growly_bear
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2015 HymerExsis i414
Exp
Last year I fitted a Renogy b2b I used a LA first to check everything worked ok. I think the Renogy B2B automatically detects the battery type???
There's no mention of that in the manual..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can anyone tell me why? The absorption voltages are the same but the gel setting absorption time is 8 hours, lithium batteries need very little absorption time maybe an hour or so.
A good charger with lead batteries will adjust the absorbtion time depending on the state of discharge when the batteries put on charge.
EBL`s older one had a fixed 8 hours newer ones 16 hours for Gel.

That is why it is not a good idea to a lead charger like an EBL if you use EHU on more than the odd occasion.

The latest CBE chargers have a automatic exitation phase so not suitable for Lithium.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back