Adding an external step

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 105
I have recently bought a 2019 Elddis 105 to which I would like to install a slide out step at the hab door. Has anyone here done this to a 105 or other Boxer based Elddis compact MoHo please? If so, any advice/pitfalls that were come across would be helpful. Thank you.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
We had 2 Accordo 105's just used a Plastic Step...... can't see the point in going to all that trouble 😕

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Plastic step Ikea £9, slide out step Thule £******! leave alone! Keep in the van by the hab door, the kits for the driver/ passenger doors are around £300

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Our Autocruise had the step removed by the previous owner. Our solution was £6 from Dunelm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 105
Do you mean Hab door or cab door?
I do mean Hab door.

Don't want to have a plastic or other portable step due space inside with a big dog and potential stabilty issues. A fitted step is much preferred, Thule step <£200 it's worth it for me.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I see this post is in danger of disappearing onto Page 2. so I'm bumping it.

It's a shame you've been not been offered the help you wanted. Someone may see this and help out.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It very much depends on the structure as to whether it's possible. I'd like a retracting hab step, but there's nothing for it to bolt on to. I'd need to build quite a bit of frame.

I'm just using a folding step that slots into a 3d printed bracket next to the door.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Your van already has a built in step in the foitwelk if you fitted a Thule it would reduce your ground clearance, I really do not think it is practical on your van.

If you look at slide out steps like Thule they are always fitted so the bottom of he step when retracted is above the bottom line of the sill.

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Devon Firefly
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Elddis moved to the lower-profile Boxer chassis in 2017/18 ‘removing the need for an external step’ - according to them, but it’s still quite a step-up to get in even with the recessed internal step…. As Lenny HB said, you may not have enough clearance to fit an external step - perhaps contact Marquis Motorhomes (they sell their own branded Elddis vans) to see if it’s feasible…..?🤔

edit: ….or Elddis themselves!

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It very much depends on the structure as to whether it's possible. I'd like a retracting hab step, but there's nothing for it to bolt on to. I'd need to build quite a bit of frame.

I'm just using a folding step that slots into a 3d printed bracket next to the door.
We did the same, folding plastic stool thingy that stored on a bracket inside the wardrobe in our case.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I have a similar 105, end kitchen, and recognise the issue. It is a steep step up. I have seen slide outs fitted, but looking at mine I don't think it could be done without reinforcement. At that point it's just overhang I think. Will double check later. We do use a plastic step, let two of the legs drop into the footwell, which locks it into place while travelling. No dog though. We have an issue also at the cab end, being such a light van, it rides very high, meaning it's a stretch for my mini companion 🙄

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 105
Thank you for the various responses.
I am prepared to go to the effort of fabricating a frame to bolt to the floor and to fit under the moulded GRP step where the retractable step would be bolted onto. Ground clearance is not an issue having done some preliminary investigations.
Just wondered if anyone had the experience to give some helpful advice.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
From quite a few posts on here I've the impression that electrically operated steps can be pretty troublesome due to being located in the splash and dirt, plus lack of maintenance/lubrication . The electrical gubbins needs to be very well shielded and sealed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I am prepared to go to the effort of fabricating a frame to bolt to the floor and to fit under the moulded GRP step where the retractable step would be bolted onto. Ground clearance is not an issue having done some preliminary investigations.
I would agree about the ground clearance being sufficient. I guess if you maintain and clean the electric steps they may OK.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I would agree about the ground clearance being sufficient. I guess if you maintain and clean the electric steps they may OK.

Front mudflaps help to prevent the crud getting on it in the first place.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504 2014
Exp
Too long
I fitted one to the passenger door of a Hymer. Try looking for “Craster crabber van” on YouTube he fitted one to his van conversion but it does show how to do it.
If I can do it anyone can.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back