AdBlue pumps in UK?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can you get AdBlue from a pump at a garage in the UK?

In France I was helped by Funsters to find an AdBlue pump at a supermarket garage. I'm going to need to top up again soon and if possible I'd like to avoid having to buy bottles of AdBlue when it's so much easier to use a pump like one does for diesel.

If they do exist, has anyone seen one anywhere near Plymouth? Or if not near Plymouth what sort of garage was it (Shell/Esso/Asda etc.)?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
BP seem to lead the way with adblue pumps. Many search results give garages that sell adblue but not always distinguish whether pump or plastic containers

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
As a truck driver I can say that almost all Motorway Services have Adblue pumps in the HGV fuel areas. My PVC uses Adblue, I prefer to use a the 5 litre bottles to fill from. Halfords were selling Adblue in 3.5litre pouches which were very handy and a good price.
Unfortunately they've stopped selling the pouches now but still have a deal on Adblue 5ltres...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
I don't think any truckers will have a problem with you filling up at the Adblue dispenser. You might find you'll have a bit of a wait as it takes a while to fuel up 400 litres in the tank of a truck. If you see the hgv pumps with trucks queuing you could be in for a long wait.😁

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Can you get AdBlue from a pump at a garage in the UK?

In France I was helped by Funsters to find an AdBlue pump at a supermarket garage. I'm going to need to top up again soon and if possible I'd like to avoid having to buy bottles of AdBlue when it's so much easier to use a pump like one does for diesel.

If they do exist, has anyone seen one anywhere near Plymouth? Or if not near Plymouth what sort of garage was it (Shell/Esso/Asda etc.)?
get it removed, it will be easier in the long run. terrible stuff.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Not much use to you but my local Shell garage has an AdBlue pump with the normal car pumps. It is a garage that has been built in the last couple of years though.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
We live in Plymouth I know there is one at the shell garage at the first roundabout when going to Cornwall from the tamar bridge Carkeel service station

Upvote 0

DJIT

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
get it removed, it will be easier in the long run. terrible stuff.
The OP should be aware of the legal implications of following that advice.
It might not be illegal to remove the Adblue
It is certainly illegal to drive the vehicle on a public road if the Adblue has been removed.

Vehicles failing to meet emission standards, including those related to AdBlue usage, may face fines, restrictions, or even removal from the road.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
There are far fewer than on the continent, and it really is pot luck - I have been searching my area as well. I have noticed that the Essar garages tend to have them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for the suggestion, but Google doesn’t seem to distinguish between pumps and bottles. I spent an hour trying different variations on Google before posting to MHF in the hope of practical experience. I even drove round to the nearest Google suggestion just now. Just in case… but no AdBlue pumps…

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
We live in Plymouth I know there is one at the shell garage at the first roundabout when going to Cornwall from the tamar bridge Carkeel service station
Thanks, I’ve passed the garage many times but not used it. And there’s a good carwash just up the road at Tamar View Nurseries, where they’ll get up the steps and do the roof of a PVC as well. I had to keep the van off road at caravan storage near Pillaton while I was waiting for UK registration to come through.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
So I have seen, but is there any downside for using them, and are campers welcome to use them?

I've always used the HGV pumps at motorway service stations for AdBlue. Probably not the best price, though. Never had any problems, and never had to queue.

Also, an aside, if the nossle fits your van try filling up at an HGV diesel pump. Goes in at about 10 litres per second! Never seen a pump hit £100 so quickly!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
The OP should be aware of the legal implications of following that advice.
It might not be illegal to remove the Adblue
It is certainly illegal to drive the vehicle on a public road if the Adblue has been removed.

Vehicles failing to meet emission standards, including those related to AdBlue usage, may face fines, restrictions, or even removal from the road.
I didn't think it was detectable for MOT , how will anyone know?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
I've always used the HGV pumps at motorway service stations for AdBlue. Probably not the best price, though. Never had any problems, and never had to queue.

Also, an aside, if the nossle fits your van try filling up at an HGV diesel pump. Goes in at about 10 litres per second! Never seen a pump hit £100 so quickly!
Be careful that it doesn't knock your tanks sender unit off. It's under very high pressure delivery....

Upvote 0

DJIT

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
how will anyone know?
"What's legal" and "will I be caught" are always 2 different questions.....

I don't know in detail what this statement would cover:
In terms of environmental checks, a Class 7 MOT test will also monitor your exhaust emissions, as well as the vehicle’s noise levels.

But if your vehicle is deliberately made illegal, then you may not be insured.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Adblue removes nitrogen oxides (NOx) from exhausts. The MOT doesn’t currently check NOx levels but the Department for Transport has recently finished consultation on possible changes to the MOT which could well include NOx tests.
“The consultation also notes that the current MOT test does not include a direct examination of the performance of nitrogen oxides (NOx) control systems. The department is therefore calling for views or research on methods that could be applied within the test to assess the performance of these control systems on both petrol and diesel vehicles.”
It is not just a matter of what will not be picked up now but what could be picked up in the future. I will be leaving my Adblue system as it is, reinstating a disabled one might involve a lot more £s than the cost of a few bottles of Adblue.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Leaving the legal questions aside, paying good money to remove a working adblue system is pointless as it leaves you in a position of running a modified engine (not insured) and potentially having to refit it should the MOT be amended to include the testing of it.
I can understand removing a faulty system v repair costs but again will have the same potential problems with insurance and future MOT’s

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Adblue removes nitrogen oxides (NOx) from exhausts. The MOT doesn’t currently check NOx levels but the Department for Transport has recently finished consultation on possible changes to the MOT which could well include NOx tests.
“The consultation also notes that the current MOT test does not include a direct examination of the performance of nitrogen oxides (NOx) control systems. The department is therefore calling for views or research on methods that could be applied within the test to assess the performance of these control systems on both petrol and diesel vehicles.”
It is not just a matter of what will not be picked up now but what could be picked up in the future. I will be leaving my Adblue system as it is, reinstating a disabled one might involve a lot more £s than the cost of a few bottles of Adblue.
Wait until you start having problems with it, you might change your mind. Its truly terrible stuff, it will eat through concrete.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
"What's legal" and "will I be caught" are always 2 different questions.....

I don't know in detail what this statement would cover:
In terms of environmental checks, a Class 7 MOT test will also monitor your exhaust emissions, as well as the vehicle’s noise levels.

But if your vehicle is deliberately made illegal, then you may not be insured.
I would love to see them fight a claim on that one. I truly can't imagine the circumstances where mapping out your adblue would cause a collision.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Thank you for the suggestion, but Google doesn’t seem to distinguish between pumps and bottles. I spent an hour trying different variations on Google before posting to MHF in the hope of practical experience. I even drove round to the nearest Google suggestion just now. Just in case… but no AdBlue pumps…
I tried a Google search for my local (rural) area. It came up with 3 options and I know for a fact that they all have Adblue pumps as I've used them. Two have the pumps in separate areas away from the fuel pumps and the third has the Adblue pump in the same area as the HGV fuel pumps.
I've tried topping up with Adblue containers and as much ends up on the ground as goes into the tank. So much easier at the pump. Good luck (y)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Wait until you start having problems with it, you might change your mind. Its truly terrible stuff, it will eat through concrete.
If I have problems I will deal with them at the time. I had no Adblue problems on my Hymer Mercedes and didn’t have any difficulty handling the fluid. However other people have different experiences and different ways of dealing with problems.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
Leaving the legal questions aside, paying good money to remove a working adblue system is pointless as it leaves you in a position of running a modified engine (not insured) and potentially having to refit it should the MOT be amended to include the testing of it.
I can understand removing a faulty system v repair costs but again will have the same potential problems with insurance and future MOT’s
I would also think it must have a negative effect on the value, surely most people wouldn’t buy a vehicle with that sort of modification? I know I wouldn’t, but maybe others would be less concerned and I am in a minority.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back