LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
There is no where better than the Yorkshire Dales, especially Wensleydale. Stay at Colmans Campsite in Aysgarth it is by far the best small site I have ever visited, caters for large motorhomes, caravans, campers and tents. Lovely owners who go the extra mile and will cook you a fabulous Yorkshire breakfast and deliver it to your van. Wensleydale has everything you want in terms of places to see and things to do- look at their website.
Do you realise that The War of the Roses is still going on up here? Anything Yorkshare has Lancashire has one better! :LOL: Try The Trough of Bowland, better cheese than Wensleydale ( Up to 1974 it was in Yorkshire though!) and duck for incoming Tyke reposts :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yesterday we had another wander around Ripley looking for the three geocaches in the village. The first, near the car park, is graded as quite difficult but once you've spotted it in the tree you just need a long stick to use like a hook to get it down. :)

PXL_20240417_133254195.jpg

The hint for another 'cache was "look for a sawn log" which made it easy once you reached the right spot.

PXL_20240417_140841172.jpg

PXL_20240417_140835898.jpg

The third was a small tube attached by a magnet to railings but hidden by ivy and was bit more difficult to find. But three out of three is a good score for us. :)

In the grounds of the church we spotted what looked like a monument to a pork pie.

PXL_20240417_133952705.jpg

Closer up we found a sign described what it was.

PXL_20240417_134101232.jpg

PXL_20240417_134050771.jpg

The pub in the village is called the Boar's Head (where we had a good group meal last night) and there are other emblems in the village related to a boar. You may need to turn your head to one side to see it.

PXL_20240417_135912660.jpg

The history is revealed in the church.

PXL_20240417_134348894.jpg

What looks like a urinal in the background is for Holy water I think but why it's here and not at the entrance I'm not sure.

PXL_20240417_134401438.MP.jpg

The "ruling family" here, the Inglebys, have their own pews.

PXL_20240417_134518183.jpg

The metal rings on the slab are explained by this notice.

PXL_20240417_134527518.MP.jpg

The church has a fancy ceiling. :)

PXL_20240417_134433763.jpg

These were intriguing, tiny yew trees growing in cracks in a wall. I'm not sure if they are natural seedlings or the seeds were introduced. Yorkshire bonsai in any case!

PXL_20240417_140414114.jpg

Today our rally shifted to Pateley Bridge which was only a short drive away. To fill in the day I decided to visit Malham Cove which is a good hour's drive away. The road to Grassington, about the halfway point, was good although with a few steepish 16% hills which were fine going up but tricker going down, with the engine revving away to save the brakes.

After Grassington the road was single track for long stretches but fortunately when we met the dustbin lorry there was somewhere for us to pull to the side. I wouldn't recommend this route on weekends in a MH but on a damp Thursday in April it wasn't too taxing.

We found a spot in the car park in Malham (Ā£3.50) and then set out to walk the mile to Malham Cove. Sadly my hip hardly let me get a quarter of the way before I had to turn around and hobble back to the 'van. This was as close as we got. The photo also shows the myriad of stone walls in this region. What I didn't see were the fields which all have their own stone barn which I've seen before but I can't remember where they are.

PXL_20240418_110022731.jpg

From Malham we headed south to do some shopping at a supermarket in Skipton (heavy traffic in Skipton!) and then back up to Grassington on another good road before arriving at Shipley Bridge Showground.

This is the view from across the River Nidd. The showground is only just above the river.

PXL_20240418_140104654.jpg

We are staying off the grass, it is very wet underfoot, and have dispersed ourselves around the perimeter track with wheels just on the grass to allow vehicles to pass. That's us nearest the camera. The verge we are on is reasonably firm, the other side as you can see is less so. :)

PXL_20240418_155043350.jpg

We will explore Pateley Bridge tomorrow. The Pateley Pie Shop, which we spotted as we drove through the town, will be on the itinerary. :)

But these dark buildings don't look their best in the rain. I'm reminded of towns in the Massif Central in France which are a similar colour and I find a bit depressing. Fortunately, we may see a glimpse of sun tomorrow and more of it on Saturday.

PXL_20240418_140734186.jpg

This is where we are, as usual under the blue blob in the middle of the map. You can also see Malham Cove which we (almost) visited today and Fountains Abbey which we visit earlier in the trip.

Screenshot_20240418_165353_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yesterday we had another wander around Ripley looking for the three geocaches in the village. The first, near the car park, is graded as quite difficult but once you've spotted it in the tree you just need a long stick to use like a hook to get it down. :)

View attachment 887175

The hint for another 'cache was "look for a sawn log" which made it easy once you reached the right spot.

View attachment 887176

View attachment 887178

The third was a small tube attached by a magnet to railings but hidden by ivy and was bit more difficult to find. But three out of three is a good score for us. :)

In the grounds of the church we spotted what looked like a monument to a pork pie.

View attachment 887195

Closer up we found a sign described what it was.

View attachment 887177

View attachment 887204

The pub in the village is called the Boar's Head (where we had a good group meal last night) and there are other emblems in the village related to a boar. You may need to turn your head to one side to see it.

View attachment 887193

The history is revealed in the church.

View attachment 887196

What looks like a urinal in the background is for Holy water I think but why it's here and not at the entrance I'm not sure.

View attachment 887202

The "ruling family" here, the Inglebys, have their own pews.

View attachment 887189

The metal rings on the slab are explained by this notice.

View attachment 887188

The church has a fancy ceiling. :)

View attachment 887198

These were intriguing, tiny yew trees growing in cracks in a wall. I'm not sure if they are natural seedlings or the seeds were introduced. Yorkshire bonsai in any case!

View attachment 887192

Today our rally shifted to Pateley Bridge which was only a short drive away. To fill in the day I decided to visit Malham Cove which is a good hour's drive away. The road to Grassington, about the halfway point, was good although with a few steepish 16% hills which were fine going up but tricker going down, with the engine revving away to save the brakes.

After Grassington the road was single track for long stretches but fortunately when we met the dustbin lorry there was somewhere for us to pull to the side. I wouldn't recommend this route on weekends in a MH but on a damp Thursday in April it wasn't too taxing.

We found a spot in the car park in Malham (Ā£3.50) and then set out to walk the mile to Malham Cove. Sadly my hip hardly let me get a quarter of the way before I had to turn around and hobble back to the 'van. This was as close as we got. The photo also shows the myriad of stone walls in this region. What I didn't see were the fields which all have their own stone barn which I've seen before but I can't remember where they are.

View attachment 887194

From Malham we headed south to do some shopping at a supermarket in Skipton (heavy traffic in Skipton!) and then back up to Grassington on another good road before arriving at Shipley Bridge Showground.

This is the view from across the River Nidd. The showground is only just above the river.

View attachment 887203

We are staying off the grass, it is very wet underfoot, and have dispersed ourselves around the perimeter track with wheels just on the grass to allow vehicles to pass. That's us nearest the camera. The verge we are on is reasonably firm, the other side as you can see is less so. :)

View attachment 887201

We will explore Pateley Bridge tomorrow. The Pateley Pie Shop, which we spotted as we drove through the town, will be on the itinerary. :)

But these dark buildings don't look their best in the rain. I'm reminded of towns in the Massif Central in France which are a similar colour and I find a bit depressing. Fortunately, we may see a glimpse of sun tomorrow and more of it on Saturday.

View attachment 887197

This is where we are, as usual under the blue blob in the middle of the map. You can also see Malham Cove which we (almost) visited today and Fountains Abbey which we visit earlier in the trip.

View attachment 887199

Zoomed out a bit.
You're making me jealous. Growing up in Bradford, The Dales was our back garden growing up.
We hired a minibus for my stag do, wandering around my fave boozers in Dales, ending up in Grassington.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As a Southerner I was pleasantly surprised at the beautiful scenery during a lovely week motorbiking up that way just pre-Covid specifically to see James Herriot country, their pub haunts and his house/surgery at Thirsk. Very impressed by Aysgarth Falls and as it was raining I called into the Last of the Summer Wine museum at Holmfirth. En route I passed through Bradford which was interesting as there's nowhere like that in Sussex.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We have just booked a couple of nights at Middlethorpe Farm above Robin Hoodā€™s Bay at the end of the month and a couple of nights at the pub in Egton Bridge.
Weather provided we should be able to do some walking as much as muttly can manage. The walk up from the bay might take a while but a sausage from the chippy at the top will be a nice reward.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
hi just looked marazion up it looks a great place where do you stay ? thanks
Dove Meadows. Neat little grass site with 30 ish large pitches 10amp and showers.
No drive over waste however. Only 150yds from beach. St Michael's Mount right there and flat level coastal cycle path to Penzance and Newlyn.
Reasonable price too Ā£22/24 this time of year.
Very quiet and neatly set out family owned and run. Last came 10 years ago and hasn't changed thankfully.šŸ‘

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We explored Pateley Bridge yesterday, which doesn't take long but it was an interesting wander. There's only one main street, here viewed from the top.

PXL_20240419_094113514.jpg

The sweetshop, "oldest in England" it claims, had to be visited.

PXL_20240419_094159444.jpg

PXL_20240419_093806660.jpg

It wasn't until I looked at the photo above I saw the Victory V sweets in the lower left. I hated these as a child, a vile flavour but someone must still like them!

Mrs DBK bought a few sweets then we headed across the road to the Pateley Pie Shop.

PXL_20240419_093953848.jpg

PXL_20240419_094454796.jpg

We bought a traditional pie and one with apple and had them for lunch. They were very tasty with a good pastry, cooked that morning as they were still warm when we bought them. The apple wasn't in the meat but on the top of the pie which I guess is how the other flavours were done, so the mushy pea one you can see is like a traditional pie but with mushy peas added before they go in the oven. Apologies for no photos but we'll buy some more before we leave on Monday and I'll try and remember to record them cut in half - before they are scoffed.

In the afternoon the showers stopped and we went for short walk to find a local geocache, later I went to another cache near the Showground which is a different type to the usual container. "Pillars Past" is a set of 3 sculptures beside the River Nidd.

PXL_20240419_163800583.jpg

Lead miner.

PXL_20240419_163659235.jpg

Shepherd.

PXL_20240419_163638725.jpg

Monk.

PXL_20240419_163624871.jpg

The detail on the faces is excellent.

PXL_20240419_163722490.jpg

PXL_20240419_163715565.jpg

PXL_20240419_163708029.jpg

This has been placed on the Way of the Roses, a 170 mile coast to coast cycle route.

The geocache is known as an EarthCache and to claim it you have to answer questions about the sculpture and send them to the cache owner.

In the evening the skies cleared and conveniently the Sun bombarded our atmosphere with particles.

Screenshot_20240419-220056.jpg

I don't think Pateley Bridge is technically in a Dark Sky area but large parts of Nidderdale are. This was the view looking north. It looks like the glow from a city but there is only moorland in that direction.

PXL_20240419_202504723.NIGHT.jpg

The glow had a reddish tinge, not very spectacular but my first ever glimpse of the Northern Lights. :) Sadly, I only have my phone with me but it does a reasonable job on the Night setting.

Mar 9, 2023
Midlands
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL
Exp
5 year
We visited Fountains Abbey this morning which is only about 20 minutes drive. It's a National Trust place so free for us but if you are not a member it is an eye-watering Ā£20 a head!

From what I understood in the small exhibition in the Porter's Lodge this was the original Cistercian monastery in Britain, founded in 1132 by a small group of monks seeking a more austere life. But vows of austerity did not stop this becoming the richest monastery in England until the Black Death and a virulent disease of sheep which hit their wool exports brought things down. Henry VIII finished it off with the lead from the roof and the stained glass windows melted down to recover the metal.

There are organised free tours but we just wandered about with the little leaflet and map we were given at reception.

Random shots.

The model shows what the Abbey looked like. Intriguely, note how large parts were built over the river which is shown as a sort of grey streak in the model. Arches allowed the river to flow under the buildings.

View attachment 886551

In the background you can see sandstone cliffs from which I guess the stone to make the Abbey was quarried. Just a short wheelbarrow trip away.

View attachment 886546

View attachment 886547

Water flowing under the storeroom.

View attachment 886552

View attachment 886554

View attachment 886558

Clever vaulting.

View attachment 886559

More wet foundations. It's almost as if the abbot decided how big the building should be and took no notice of the presence of the river. :)

View attachment 886560

View attachment 886562

Look at the size of this window, presumably stained glass originally until Henry pinched the lead.

View attachment 886564

This shot has a chimney - the monks were allowed to turn the central heating on between November and Easter. :cold:

View attachment 886556

View attachment 886565

View attachment 886566

View attachment 886567

The Abbey mill is still more or less complete. Apparently because it earned money so wasn't destroyed in the Dissolution.

View attachment 886548

The millpond. The water flows into the brick building on the right.

View attachment 886549

View attachment 886561

The current wheel is made of iron so probably 19th century. The original would have been wooden of course. It's an undershot wheel, meaning the water flows under not over the wheel.

View attachment 886550

A lot of old stones but an interesting visit.

Our next stop was to considerably older stones and these were shaped by Nature not Man.

A fifteen minute drive from Fountains brings you to Brinham Rocks. Some time ago and taking into account today is Tuesday then let's say 300 million years ago a mixture of sand, grit and pebbles started to form rock. A glacier came about 30,000 years ago (might have been a Wednesday) and carved out the nearby Nidderdale Valley and exposed the rocks to the extreme arctic weather.

You can see the results a short walk from the NT carpark (Ā£6.50 for non-members).

View attachment 886553
View attachment 886555
View attachment 886557
View attachment 886563

These are several geocaches here which made a pleasant diversion. There's also teashop!

Very interesting, thanks for this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
IF YOU ARE FRIGHTENED OF SPIDERS DON'T READ THIS POST!

But as compensation there are cute ducklings. :)

We went for a circular walk from the Showground on Saturday morning. The route is shown by the dotted red line on the map below. The Showground is marked as Bewerley Park, just below a P sign towards the upper left of the map.

Screenshot_20240422_175454_OS Maps.jpg

In the evening the Murvi Club had its AGM followed by a "shared supper" which is where everyone brings a dish and you help yourself from the various things on offer. It was a success and there was enough food for me to go back for seconds. :)

Part of our walk was on a path between the River Nidd and a now disused leat which fed water to what I guess was a former woolen mill now being converted into posh flats. At a weir on the river a row of three sluice gates control the flow of water into the leat. The date shown is 1866.

PXL_20240420_133120341.jpg

On the leat we came across a small mallard family. Spoiler alert - nothing happens in the video other than a few clockwork ducklings scooting about. :)

Crossing over the Nidd we headed back, walking through some attractive country.

PXL_20240420_140054553.jpg

On the last stretch of the walk we diverted into a wood to find a geocache but failed to find it. The location was an ice house.

PXL_20240420_140809780.jpg

A somewhat faded sign explained everything. The drawing in the lower right shows the design. It's a deep hole which was filled with ice during the winter. It says the ice could remain for up to 18 months. Built around 1800 in the days when winters were cooler...

PXL_20240420_140849855.jpg

Although the geocaches escaped us I did find a Cave spider in the ice house.

PXL_20240420_141206096.jpg

Rubbish photo, taken with my phone. Cave spiders are one of our biggest spiders with a body length up to 15mm and a leg span reaching 50mm. The are not dangerous but will try and bite you "if provoked" according to one source. They are found in places which are permanently dark, such as caves, ice houses and under the cover above our cesspit at home which is where I first saw one - and took this video! :)

Next day, Sunday, I returned here and finally found the cache. The clue was "Rock under Rock RN/51" which meant nothing until I found this. It wasn't visible from the ice house. The container was under the flat rock to the left of the bit of branch at the bottom of the photo. There is another rock above it which explains this somewhat cryptic clue. :)

PXL_20240421_130944643.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We left Pateley Bridge this morning and through quite a lot of heavy traffic and light rain drove south down the M1/M42 to just south of Birmingham when we shot off cross-country towards Evesham and the CMC site at Broadway. This took five hours of driving including a stop at Donnington services for lunch. Donnington services are not recommended - busy, dirty and smelly and that's just the lorry park which was all we saw. :)

The dog-distracting rabbits at Broadway come free.

PXL_20240422_185724380.jpg

PXL_20240422_191742614.jpg

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We missed the most interesting rock amongst Brinham Rocks but some of the other Murvi Club members found it. This rock is balanced on another rock just a couple of feet across.

I think it's still standing after these hooligans tried to topple it. :)

IMG_0331 (1).jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back