Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Burford Duo
Exp
Since 2018
We're fairly new to this MH lark. Having treated ourselves to a new Auto Sleepers Burford Duo we thought we were set up for some comfortable touring. I realise that the front lounge seats are designed to be the cushions for the bed and are therefore pretty flat but as lounge seats they are cr@p.

The cab seats can swivel but they are both obstructed by the lounge seats so really only one can be used when swivelled.

What do folk do to make the seats more comfortable? In the summer we've used the camping recliners but now it's too cold for that so we're spending more time inside the MH. When we're eating we can use a cushion for back support but when we're lounging it's so uncomfortable.

We've tried using the cab seats reclined forwards with lots of cushions but that eventually leads to a numb bum. We've tried setting things up as a bed but that's not ideal for reading or watching the TV.

Any help gratefully received.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What about bean cushions on the seats? Like small bean bag chairs that will adjust to the shape of you and the chair.

I don't think any standard seats in motorhomes are very comfortable for sitting for long periods as they are too upright if they are also travel seats and the cushions are firm if they are also bed bases. The best way I have found is a variety of scatter cushions of all sizes. Aldi had what they called "garden cushions" last year, I got one from the "sell off" bin and wish I'd got more as they are just right for the small of my back or to put on a folding stool if I want to put my feet up.

Our motorhome has the transverse bed at the back and it is quite comfortable to sit there, back against wardrobe or bathroom bulkheads, knees bent (pillow or cushion underneath for support) and feet towards the rear of the van and lots of pillows and cushions for padding :) Would a version of that work? I also have a wedge pillow but don't find that as adaptable.

PS I bought some huge sheepskins to cover the cab seats as they were starting to show signs of wear - doesn't help with back and neck support but they are lovely. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I hope this is not the case for you, but it’s a fact that a lot of people don’t get their layout right first time. Those sideways benches seem fine when trying them out in the showroom but for a whole evening are not quite right. Are you able to push back the cab seats so that they swivel properly and maybe sit on them and put up your feet on the side benches?
We changed our van just for this reason of wanting more comfort when sitting inside. We now have a rear u lounge, and yes we do have to make up the beds at night but we don’t mind that as our last camper used the cab seats and the sideways bench for the bed and was much more awkward.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
A photo might help as it seems strange you have seats that swivel yet can't be used ?

The attached image isn't from our MH, it's off the Auto Sleepers site, but it shows the problem.

You can't rotate the seats enough such that your feet are not interfering with each other. If you want the seat to recline you have to have the base closer to the lounge seats which means they can swivel less. With the seat base fully forward you can't swivel the seat because the steering wheel get's in the way and the side of the lounge seat base is in the way to put your legs across. Basically a rubbish design.

What about bean cushions on the seats? Like small bean bag chairs that will adjust to the shape of you and the chair.
The TV is by the habitation door so cushions on the driver side lounge seats is almost acceptable but not for the passenger side as you wouldn't be able to see the TV.

The problem is back support. If I could add a panel at the cab end of the lounge sets, we could pile up the cushions and it would probably work. Using the cab seats reclined forward is too far away and everything slips down. Someone has suggested an inflatable armchair which I'd never heard of so I'll need to do some research.

I hope this is not the case for you, but it’s a fact that a lot of people don’t get their layout right first time.
We've been told it might take 3 or 4 iterations before we get the ideal layout. We're already thinking of a German MH as the winterisation of ours is a joke.

Attachments

• Burford-Duo-Lounge.jpg
    Burford-Duo-Lounge.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The attached image isn't from our MH, it's off the Auto Sleepers site, but it shows the problem.
Basically a rubbish design.

Agree and awful design. Obviously by someone who has never used the product.

The TV is by the habitation door so cushions on the driver side lounge seats is almost acceptable but not for the passenger side as you wouldn't be able to see the TV.

We don't have a tv so never even thought about that. Sorry.

The problem is back support.
Or lack of. The seat backs are far too low to provide any support.

We've been told it might take 3 or 4 iterations before we get the ideal layout. We're already thinking of a German MH as the winterisation of ours is a joke.

We changed ours as our requirements changed. Our last van was perfect for two of us but when the Grandson decided it was his van and he liked to be with us we needed more space in the lounge area. Too many vans have too little space in the lounge area if you are going to be using them in the winter - especially if you have a fixed bed at the back over a garage.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I can see the problem now about sitting on cab seats and putting feet up.
For the drivers side, I can see that it might help to pull out the base enough to drop the backrest down. This might allow one person to sit further over in the corner.
I cannot at the moment think of a solution for the person on the passenger side.
Otherwise, as you say make some sort of backrest at the cab ends of the bench seats and not bother with the cab seats at all.
I guess, being new, you don’t want to spoil the look or to do something irreversible for selling on, so it’s difficult to imagine how to securely fix such a backrest so that you can lean back on it.
Could you move TV so that you can sit the other way round facing cab?
It’s a long shot I know and tricky because of wiring.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
For the drivers side, I can see that it might help to pull out the base enough to drop the backrest down. This might allow one person to sit further over in the corner.
That's pretty much the current compromise.

make some sort of backrest at the cab ends of the bench seats and not bother with the cab seats at all
I've mocked a few things up but all solutions are heavy and currently we have a payload issue. I'm investigating having the payload increased in which case we might be able to do something.

At the Malvern show I saw a MH with the front lounge seats removed and the cab seats replaced with the luxurious affairs you get in a high end RV. They looked very comfortable and had a lot of space. Sadly the electronics gubbins is under the driver side lounge seat so it's a big job.

Could you move TV so that you can sit the other way round facing cab
Although the TV is not heavy there's nowhere to mount it so that it wouldn't then be in the way.

I think the next MH will be a lot more comfortable ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Interesting ... we had a similar layout in the caravan and I found it hard to get comfy on the sofas. The sofas extend too close to the swivel seats to allow you to swivel properly.
I did sit in an enormous Cathargo bus (triple axle A class?) at our local dealers which had gorgeous cream leather luxurious sofas which looked beautifully comfy.
But in my reality, I wonder if a PVC type design with swivel captains seats suits best. It is particularly good for 2 ... I don’t think the 2 seater bench will be very comfy ... we’re travellung with a teenager who is more likely to lie on the fixed beds rather than use the dinette benching there’s just two of you I’d consider doing away with the bench altogether.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We used two lightweight trays as backrests in our first van, although we could swivel the cab seats. Our next two vans had a rear lounge for this reason!

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
From the photo can you not slide the seats forward so that you can complete their rotation?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
Our next two vans had a rear lounge for this reason
My wife is very ill and needs access to her bed at all times of the day. We realised a rear bed layout is the only way to get this. I didn't find a layout with a rear bed, middle lounge and front kitchen. That might work.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That's pretty much the current compromise

At the Malvern show I saw a MH with the front lounge seats removed and the cab seats replaced with the luxurious affairs you get in a high end RV. They looked very comfortable and had a lot of space. Sadly the electronics gubbins is under the driver side lounge seat so it's a big job. ;)

Would it be possible to remove the side bench in the passenger side and make two large cushioned-top storage boxes that can be positioned centrally to provide feet up lounging for both of you, utilising each corner of the drivers side bench seat? I realise they would have to be fixed somehow for travelling, and also headroom moving around along the passenger side compromised by the overhead lockers. Ok just thinking aloud!:whistle:
This is reviewed as being strong enough for people to sit on and is foldable so could perhaps store away when not in use.
https://www.dunelm.com/product/foldable-grey-ottoman-1000111410

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
Would it be possible to remove the side bench in the passenger side and make two large cushioned-top storage boxes
That's an interesting idea. I'll have a look if the frame is simply secured to the floor. With the bench seat gone the passenger cab seat would also be able to swivel completely around opening up another possibility.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
How about trying two inflatable beach type lilo's, with the cab seats close to the side loungers could these lilo's not then stand upright in the gap, cheap and cheerful perhaps but if it works (y)

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
That's an interesting idea. I'll have a look if the frame is simply secured to the floor. With the bench seat gone the passenger cab seat would also be able to swivel completely around opening up another possibility.

Thanks.
Or just remove the forward end of the bench seat instead of it all.
You would then have a bed problem then though on second thought. :(

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
That's not a great design. Do the swivel seats have any arms?
Our are perfectly comfortable when tilted back, especially as my wife has her feet up on the side cushion and I can spread my legs over the table if needs be.

1fc372946c0b98fb8d7f87d4c38ea83a_5_L.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
That's not a great design. Do the swivel seats have any arms?
Our are perfectly comfortable when tilted back, especially as my wife has her feet up on the side cushion and I can spread my legs over the table if needs be.
As the earlier picture shows, the bench seats stop the cab seats swivelling enough to prevent our legs overlapping. It's not comfortable and a shocking design.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could put a 'wedge shaped' strip of cushion behind the bottom of the back cushion on the sofa behind the driver's seat, this would mean that the existing back cushion is angled making it more comfortable, and use the two sofa 'arm-rest' cushions on top for neck support, you could then pull out the facing sofa so you have somewhere to rest your feet/legs, this position would allow you to watch TV, albeit with your heads turned a bit. You could also move the TV so that it goes on a bracket under the locker above the sofa on the passenger side, or can be 'hung' there when you want to watch it, and put back on it's original bracket afterwards - you can buy quick release plastic brackets which aren't expensive and work a treat.

Another option is to make removable panels to go on the end of each sofa near the bulkhead so you can slob on each sofa with your backs against the panels, this wouldn't be difficult to do if you got some suitable brackets to slot over the existing lower sofa side panel and you could put padding on if you wanted (think mini bed headboards). Or just some panels that slot in between the existing bulkheads and sofa side/cushion - I can't tell from the photos whether there's a gap or not.

As for the cab seats, not a lot you can do really unless you can get the existing sofa ends adapted so that they have a 'cut out' to allow the seats to fully swivel passed them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
You could put a 'wedge shaped' strip of cushion behind the bottom of the back cushion on the sofa behind the driver's seat, this would mean that the existing back cushion is angled making it more comfortable
We've tried this and it does indeed make it more comfortable.

use the two sofa 'arm-rest' cushions on top for neck support
This doesn't work so well and damages the window blinds.

You could also move the TV so that it goes on a bracket under the locker above the sofa on the passenger side
This might work but there's no power or TV points in that area. The dealer wasn't very helpful when I asked about extending the cabling.

Another option is to make removable panels to go on the end of each sofa near the bulkhead so you can slob on each sofa with your backs against the panels, this wouldn't be difficult to do if you got some suitable brackets to slot over the existing lower sofa side panel and you could put padding on if you wanted (think mini bed headboards).
I've looked at the base and I don't think it is strong enough. However, something which rested against the cab seat reclined forward would work. I've mocked this up using plywood but we have a payload issue but I think the lilo idea might work and not add much weight.

As for the cab seats, not a lot you can do really unless you can get the existing sofa ends adapted so that they have a 'cut out' to allow the seats to fully swivel passed them.
There is a big box of electronics under the driver lounge seat so this wouldn't work.

I'm going to try the lilo idea first. Thanks for all the ideas; brilliant.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back