A new arrival and time for change (1 Viewer)

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
EC8E4518-A534-4B6B-BDDF-3F11303D94E4.jpeg
For several years, we’ve travelled around Britain and Europe towing our little Smart Fortwo. Then we were joined by first one pup, and then another. Llŷr is a silken windhound and Brân is a standard poodle. This leaves us in a quandry - one dog fits comfortably into the Smart car’s boot - but two won’t go.

So, we have to sell our Smart car and A frame; also our Smart car trailer. Then the question is, do we buy a slightly larger small car and get an a frame fitted, or just get a larger trailer? Trailers are larger to handle and store but aren’t tied to the same car. A frames are a problem on the continent.

The third option is to rely more on shank’s pony, but I feel doubtful about this. We like the convenience of a car.

Any thoughts?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
View attachment 277288 For several years, we’ve travelled around Britain and Europe towing our little Smart Fortwo. Then we were joined by first one pup, and then another. Llŷr is a silken windhound and Brân is a standard poodle. This leaves us in a quandry - one dog fits comfortably into the Smart car’s boot - but two won’t go.

So, we have to sell our Smart car and A frame; also our Smart car trailer. Then the question is, do we buy a slightly larger small car and get an a frame fitted, or just get a larger trailer? Trailers are larger to handle and store but aren’t tied to the same car. A frames are a problem on the continent.

The third option is to rely more on shank’s pony, but I feel doubtful about this. We like the convenience of a car.

Any thoughts?
Transportation to destination shouldn't be a problem then you could leave one dog in van while taking the other for a wiz.....there is always a way.(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
View attachment 277288 For several years, we’ve travelled around Britain and Europe towing our little Smart Fortwo. Then we were joined by first one pup, and then another. Llŷr is a silken windhound and Brân is a standard poodle. This leaves us in a quandry - one dog fits comfortably into the Smart car’s boot - but two won’t go.

Any thoughts?
Having just googled silken wind hound, (and together with a standard poodle) I see your problem :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've never heard of a Silken Windhound either, what beautiful dogs. Great variety of colours too. I think you'll have to go for a slightly larger car. A Honda Jazz might be large enough.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We’ve recently bought an Aygo. We toyed with the smart because I think they are quirky. However on closer inspection, the dogs wouldn’t like sitting on the engine plus the van is in storage so have to take bits and bobs back and too to the van so need more room. The aygo was for us the best fit, double the space at least. It the 2018 model so supposed to have a better engine, which can shift when needed. I am now looking for a trailer for it but have problem with a very steep drive with no access of that size of a trailer to the back for secure storage and the garage is full of crap, So still thinking that through at mo.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have a windhound...... She's under the kitchen table right now and I have no idea what she's been eating.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We have seen some good modifications with the dogs travelling or sleeping in the garage. You could of course exercise the dogs while on electric bikes.

OP
OP
Lafant

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
11F1CAE8-319A-43A7-9F60-4DE95C795466.jpeg
46B6ED53-8182-445D-9363-6873B1C6046B.jpeg
Thanks for all your observations. I think we’ll have to bite the bullet and go for a C1, Aygo or a Peugeot 108. We’ll probably opt for a trailer as the a frame modification is well over 2k these days. The authorities on the continent are iffy about them too and we like at least a month in the sun in the summer.

That’s our lurcher Mabon in the boot by the way. We were in the Alpilles in Provence.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Pappajohn - photo of your windhound please?
I think his windhound is just a dog that farts a lot ... of course it could just be Pappajohn blaming the dog ...:D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Take a look at the new Smart ForTwo, we've got one and they are wider than the older ones so more room in the rear ... we can fit our 3 dogs in without a problem, when we next get the car out the garage I'll stick them in and take a photo, but this is them - a Chihuahua/JR cross, a Patterdale Terrier and a heffalump cross greyhound staffie.

Dogs.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well i have a PANDA and my sons 2 GSD go in the back fine with the rear seat folded..BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back