A little cautionary tale about headlight masking (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
We have just come back from a month in France.
The last time we went I used commercial aids to mask off the dipped beam.
Being clever , I recorded where they were positioned on the headlight.
This time , like many , I used black tape to block out the required area.
On each headlight I stuck on two short bits of Gorilla tape.
No problem you might think.
However when it became time to take the tape off , did it come off easily?
Yes it did.
But what did not come off was the adhesive underneath the tape.
This had etched it's way into the polycarbonate surface, maybe 0.1mm deep.
This meant I had to polish it all out and it took some time , it needed doing anyway since they had yellowed this year with UV.
It's an old van now , 2008.
Next time I'll use electricians tape 🤔🙂

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I bought some of the proper masking things from Eurolites, which are sort of teardrop shaped. Left them on for four years then last year thought I'd better change them having heard a few horror stories. The polycarbonate lens covers underneath were in perfect condition.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I just don't bother - can't remember the last time I drove in the dark in Europe. I'm on holiday and chilling - never drive late.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I just don't bother - can't remember the last time I drove in the dark in Europe. I'm on holiday and chilling - never drive late.
So you don't drive through tunnels or in the rain then, where lights on is a legal requirement ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We don't drive late either - but we have driven several times through a storm etc and needed headlights on.

Interesting comment from OP - on our old van we had polycarbonate headlight protectors which had a masking area marked out, and I made masks from sticky backed plastic. Unfortunately the protectors don't fit securely on our new van, so I'd been thinking I'd probably get the beam bender type.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Nor me. I have a set with me, that I can fit in a moment or two, just in-case I have to travel at night. But otherwise, I don't bother, either.
Yes , noticed a lot of vans over there didn't bother.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes , noticed a lot of vans over there didn't bother.

When I have used the blockers, carefully ensuring the placement is correct, I've found they either don't block the light spill much at all, or they make the lights as effective as candles in jam jars.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
When I have used the blockers, carefully ensuring the placement is correct, I've found they either don't block the light spill much at all, or they make the lights as effective as candles in jam jars.
Yes , on another trip from Santander to Portsmouth our van was outside on the deck.
On arrival I washed as much off as I could given the 15mins between access and unloading.
How I made my way to Marina Keep I'll never know.
I now have nightbreakers which I admit we're pretty good this time (X250)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
The residue though from previously using electricians tape, demonstrates that my beam benders must have fallen off, honestly Monsieur Gendarme....

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I stuck eurolites on 7 years ago and they are still there,it's gone through 4 mot,s with no bother

Reactions: DBK
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think part of the issue is they get pretty hot. The adhesive bakes on and attacks the plastic.

The other issue is that once you've polished the polycarbonate, you've taken off the protective coating. So it yellows, spiders webs and gets marked more easily next time. Some of the headlight polishing kits come with a resealler... not sure if it works. But I used a polishing kit on my previous 2007, then I put Eurolites on for 6 months while we travelled Europe (in 2019). They came straight off with very little marking.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I bought some of the proper masking things from Eurolites, which are sort of teardrop shaped. Left them on for four years then last year thought I'd better change them having heard a few horror stories. The polycarbonate lens covers underneath were in perfect condition.
You was lucky, Eurolites should only be left on for a few weeks. I used to sell them, lots of people left them on too long and had problems.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
In over 30 thousand miles in Europe I’ve never been flashed when I’ve had my lights on…

I don’t use em… or any other sticker…😎
Same here. I did buy some but decided on this new VW Crafter not to fit them. Impossible to find the correct position anyway and like you say never had anyone flash to indicate a problem. Saying that we don't drive at night really. They now reside in the cupboard next to the angles mort sticker:LOL:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Buy an older van with real glass headlights ......and still don't bother

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
On each headlight I stuck on two short bits of Gorilla tape.
The stuff created by the devil. Always leaves a residue, will pull tufts out of carpeted floors, and take paint off woodwork. Get proper gaffer tape from someone like CPC. If you are paying under a £10 a roll it's not the proper stuff.

That said, we have clip on polycarbonate covers with the areas masked out. They work well and take 2-3 minutes to fit or remove.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
What about motorway driving in the rain during the day when you have to have them on?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back