A Class Insurance with decent. Windscreen Replacement Excess (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I am looking to get quotes for A class cover as I think thats the way I am going. I want one that has decent cover for windscreen replacement as I hear horror stories on the cost of them.

Looking likely to be a Carthago big boy

Aji

Dec 8, 2017
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sgx
Exp
Neen
Comfort terms and conditions now state that a non OEM replacement windscreen might be fitted.

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Comfort terms and conditions now state that a non OEM replacement windscreen might be fitted.
It could depend on availability. The Autoglass chap that came to fix a chip on mine told me about OEM screens. He said the alternatives very rarely fit and often break when they try and fit them. Also if you have a heated screen he said the alternatives have very patchy hot zones.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Lv, but only direct from LV done by phone, record contact name time & date. Explain exactly what you have inc any extras. Finally ask is my MH fully covered.

Oh and to answer op Q if direct from LV the windscreen cover is to the value of the vehicle. If sold by say AIB called something like LV 500 the windscreen cover is about £600.

Always Always read the T&Cs

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We have just changed from a C-class to an A-class and contacted LV by phone to alter it on our multicar policy. They were, as usual, spot-on to deal with. The new MH is significantly more expensive than our old one. I also asked about the windscreen cover with it being an A-class. They said that, providing it was a part fitted at the factory, it would be fully covered by the policy with the standard excess applied. All-in, they gave us £5.44 back for the change. A tracker, alarm, immobiliser and dash-cam seemed to make a decent difference.
We have been with LV for three years now and they are first class to deal with. As posted above though, dealing with them on the phone is the best way to get sorted.
I had to make a claim for a windscreen on my sunny-day car during the first year with them. They covered the replacement t with an OEM screen with no arguments at all. I could not have been a cheap exercise for them.
Good luck, and safe travels.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
We have just changed from a C-class to an A-class and contacted LV by phone to alter it on our multicar policy. They were, as usual, spot-on to deal with. The new MH is significantly more expensive than our old one. I also asked about the windscreen cover with it being an A-class. They said that, providing it was a part fitted at the factory, it would be fully covered by the policy with the standard excess applied. All-in, they gave us £5.44 back for the change. A tracker, alarm, immobiliser and dash-cam seemed to make a decent difference.
We have been with LV for three years now and they are first class to deal with. As posted above though, dealing with them on the phone is the best way to get sorted.
I had to make a claim for a windscreen on my sunny-day car during the first year with them. They covered the replacement t with an OEM screen with no arguments at all. I could not have been a cheap exercise for them.
Good luck, and safe travels.
That sounds good but raises a question for me.

You mention they ask about the windscreen been a factory fit. Does that go further into which factory? The Carthagos I am looking at are Fiat Ducato based so would they be asking about the factory Fiat glass or the aftermarket but factory Carthago A class screen? Wouldn’t want it to be rejected on a technicality

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
That sounds good but raises a question for me.

You mention they ask about the windscreen been a factory fit. Does that go further into which factory? The Carthagos I am looking at are Fiat Ducato based so would they be asking about the factory Fiat glass or the aftermarket but factory Carthago A class screen? Wouldn’t want it to be rejected on a technicality
A fair observation. The OEM tractor unit comes from Mercedez-Benz without a windscreen or door pillars. When I called them to insure swap the insurance the call went along similar lines to the call I had when we first insured the adria C-class.
I gave them the make as Hymer. They said that did not come up on their system. I said it was a Mercedes-Benz, Sprinter, tractor unit. They said that is fine and proceeded with the quote. When they came back with the cost that was less than the Adria (only me driving this time, along with the tracker as an addition) I made the point of saying that it had a large windscreen and the motorhome is a significantly higher value. They said they insure the unit based on the motor. Should a total loss occur and assessor will provide a market value for the van itself.
I went to LV because we had insured our Adria with CAMC for the first year. When it came up for renewal, I noticed that the underwriters for their policy was LV.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
When ours needed replacing i stated we need an OEM one to maintain the warranty and that's what they fitted.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
NFU windscreen excess which is the amount you have to contribute is £50 if you use their approved company and £70 if you use anyone else.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all. I'll get quotes from the 3 mentioned. Ive found a fan I like now. Just waiting on my house completing sale to release the funds I need. May be able to hold it with a deposit as it's been at a brokers for a while now.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I was with Adrian Flux last year but on renewal the windscreen excess had gone to £250, so I’ve changed to AIB with unlimited windscreen cover and £100 excess and better breakdown cover.

Aug 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido V:68
Exp
Since 2013
I am looking to get quotes for A class cover as I think thats the way I am going. I want one that has decent cover for windscreen replacement as I hear horror stories on the cost of them.

Looking likely to be a Carthago big boy
Just for info had to change our A class windscreen in France as large chip right in eyeline , non pass for ct. cost 3,200 euros .

May 18, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic 780
Exp
We changed from an A class we bought new 3 years ago, to another newer A class but double the old vehicles value, and just expected double the premium, same size vehicle, same drivers……
Caravan Club worked out best for us, unlimited windscreen cover, we had an S5 tracker fitted and no extra alarm needed.
As long as your vehicle is under £150,000 value eg £149,999 and below the quote was just over £1,000, 4 X the previous insurance we had paid for 3 years with Caravan and Motorhome Club, £150,001 and over the quote was over £2000 as it goes into a different league apparently👍

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Got this quote today. Thought it was good given the unlimited miles. If I drop it to 10k then it’s £760ish plus £80 for the brake down cover.

Not sure the miles I’ll be doing but I am one for using toys and doing miles.

C7C459AC-6D4E-4B65-BA76-CBDB8CA7D3EA.jpeg

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Got this quote today. Thought it was good given the unlimited miles. If I drop it to 10k then it’s £760ish plus £80 for the brake down cover.

Not sure the miles I’ll be doing but I am one for using toys and doing miles.

View attachment 805286
Victor Millwall are comfort insurance so maybe try direct with them for a better quote without AIB markup?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back