90 days Norway & 8 Country Tour. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We left telford on Friday 31st May for our Norway trip which was rudely interrupted the day before it was due to start by Covid. We have our Biz for the bridge’s, tunnels and the ferry extension in place. Used all our Tesco vouchers while they were worth 3 times to book the tunnel to France. The last few weeks has been sorting out all the jobs on the MoHo plus getting full air installed new alloys and All Terrain, All Season tyres plus fitting a full Lithium system with B2B and new Inverter.

We were one battery short so stopped at Fogstar in Redich to pick up the other and fit it outside their unit. Thanks to Fogstar & especially RogerIvy & nigelivy y of OffgridSystems who have been fantastic with all their help and supplying all the kit & cables etc.

I didn’t realise how big Sweden is but we are now parked just short of the Finnish boarder after driving 3,683 km in seven days averaging 525km per day. Unfortunately in the picnic site we are parked for the night on, there is a sign saying 809km to Nordkap so a lot more driving still before we start the slow tour south.

We were really concerned about whether the Biz would work, especially as the toll booths are on the other side of the Bridges from Denmark. But as we approached the barrier after the Storebaelt bridge “Beep” and the barrier lifted. Phew! The same with the Øresund bridge. Looking at my Credit Card it appears that the Storebaelt cost £114.37 and the Øresund cost £68.39 obviously not much discount on the Storebaelt bridge. We are 4.5 tonne and 7mt.

The highlight so far has been a 140km detour today to the Storforsen rapids. Which are Europes largest, as it is early summer they were at nearly full power in the region of 800cubic mtr per second, absolutely fantastic. I haven’t got the pictures on this iPad but I will post them from my phone as soon as I post this.

Tomorrow we will be visiting Santa’s Village at Rovaniemi on the Arctic Circle. I have driven to the Tropic of Cancer in Western Sahara so the Arctic Circle is another tick on the bucket list.

For Internet we are using an iQ Go sim and it has been faultless. We have been playing BBC radio 2 constantly and it has only stopped very briefly twice. It was even working in the Hamburg tunnels and some long ones in Sweden. They must have transmitters in the tunnels. Last night I checked the speed and we were getting an amazing 160MBs.

I can’t promise regular updates but will post when I have time. Probably from my phone so I can post the photos, but I am not very good at typing on my phone.

If you want to ask questions or comment, please do but please keep it on thread rather than distracting side discussions.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Some photos of the Rapids:
20240606_135607.jpg
20240606_140103.jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
An amazing double Arctic truck that just pulled into the picnic area. Probably worth it because of the distances here. Oh, it’s past 11pm and still very light. The sun was shining a little while ago!View attachment 906113

I was amused by 'Artic truck', as you are nowhere near the artic yet.:LOL:

[I know you meant articulated].

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Maybe post these as a Journal, you can then edit and add as you want.
People can still comment.

Link to Continental Tours: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/categories/continental-tours.77/

Our USA Journal as an example: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/categories/americas.82/
Thanks, but I actually don’t like the journals format on here. I have my own blog where I document my travels for family etc. I am posting this as I know many are interested in doing Norway. If it drifts too far off-topic then I will just stop. I also do PolarSteps daily but keep that for family only. So they can see our daily progress. It’s difficult to balance the time taken documenting, over the time spent enjoying the trip.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I was amused by 'Artic truck', as you are nowhere near the artic yet.:LOL:

[I know you meant articulated].
Yes sorry for the spelling of “Artic” (auto correct I think), but I saw the humour in it after, so didn’t correct it. But we are only half a day from the Arctic Circle at the moment, should be there by lunchtime tomorrow.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Gosh, those rapids look amazing.

Side question - I clicked on the blog link in your signature, which directs to a wordpress account, but the most recent entry seems to be 'Internet Holy Grail', August 2021. Have I got lost somewhere?

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Gosh, those rapids look amazing.

Side question - I clicked on the blog link in your signature, which directs to a wordpress account, but the most recent entry seems to be 'Internet Holy Grail', August 2021. Have I got lost somewhere?
No, I spend more time on that as it is a permanent record, so have not posted until we take a bit of downtime. So far we have been driving almost continuously.

The rapids were even more amazing than the pictures suggest.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks, but I actually don’t like the journals format on here. I have my own blog where I document my travels for family etc. I am posting this as I know many are interested in doing Norway.
I'm not keen on the journals either I rarely ever look at any of them, not keen on blogs either. I prefer a thread with a bit of banter although they do get out of hand sometimes with idiots who can't control their posting.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We will be leaving Rovaniemi today, heading back to the Norwegian Fjords .
Happy travels!
We are not far behind you so could be at the same place at some time. From Rovaniemi we are heading for Nordkap. We were going to start at Kirknes but went there on the Hurtigruten ship a couple of years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Two minor questions - how much did the full lithium system cost to fit and can you not just pay for the bridges by debit card or do you have to get the electronic tag ? What’s (other than ease) is the benefit

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Two minor questions - how much did the full lithium system cost to fit and can you not just pay for the bridges by debit card or do you have to get the electronic tag ? What’s (other than ease) is the benefit
We've been looking at a Nordic venture,
No road tolls for motorhome in Denmark (Less than 12,000kgs)
Bridge tolls private vehicle pay by plate only for Danish registered vehicles.
Cash/Card blue lane no discount.
Bizz toll pass gives lists discounted price vs list price though only £6,

Based on the stated £114.37 charged (Exchange rate 7th June 2024) it is for a Motorhome over 3,500 kg and over 10 m long
List Price DKK 985 - £112
Discount DKK 936 - £106

You then need another epass24 account/toll tag for tolls in Norway & Sweden, no cash/card option at booths: https://www.epass24.com/automatic-payment/
You can register for toll tag or just online: https://www.autopass.no/en/user/foreign-vehicles/

No tolls in Finland

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
I didn’t realise how big Sweden
As above we're planning a Nordic venture I find it interesting how people perceive the size of other countries and feel the UK is a "small" island.
Sweden is "only" 1.9x the size of the UK BUT has only 11 million people 1/6 of UK.
It is the country I've visited most often, all with work. I think the use of Blue & Yellow for chevrons is brilliant but the studded snow tyre drive you mad.
Norway is 1.5 the size of UK, with 5.5 million and 1000 miles top to bottom, a little over twice Lands End to John o' Groats.
I think a lot is imprinted from childhood and the multiple hours spent going on summer holidays to Cornwall/Dorset etc.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We've been looking at a Nordic venture,
No road tolls for motorhome in Denmark (Less than 12,000kgs)
Bridge tolls private vehicle pay by plate only for Danish registered vehicles.
Cash/Card blue lane no discount.
Bizz toll pass gives lists discounted price vs list price though only £6,

Based on the stated £114.37 charged (Exchange rate 7th June 2024) it is for a Motorhome over 3,500 kg and over 10 m long
List Price DKK 985 - £112
Discount DKK 936 - £106

You then need another epass24 account/toll tag for tolls in Norway & Sweden, no cash/card option at booths: https://www.epass24.com/automatic-payment/
You can register for toll tag or just online: https://www.autopass.no/en/user/foreign-vehicles/

No tolls in Finland
I have actually now got the actual times of the charges and I got them the wrong way round. The Storebaelt bridge was exactly the discounted price of 589DKK which converted to £68.39. The Oresund bridge was 1520SEK which converted to £114.37.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Most of the kit I fitted was supplied by RogerIvy at Offgrid Solutions which included their very generous discount for members, don’t forget to register with him for the discount. I fitted a Victron OrionXS & 12000VA inverter and two Fogstar 230AH batteries but Fogstar had a mix up with their stock so I ended up with two 280AH Fogstars because I was on my way and just had to have them. Roger also supplied cables, fuses and some connectors. The rest was from eBay & Amazon including some tools, a fuse box and various shrink sleving I already had two 500A switches. I needed a heavy crimper for the large 16mm & 35mm cables. I also bought a 1kW kettle which is saving a great deal of gas and boils quicker and we had a sandwich maker which works from the inverter. I also had a spare Raspberry Pi so built a RasPi GS but I am not overly impressed with that so am looking at using HomeAssistant instead.
Overall I am super pleased with the installation so is Judy.
As for the bridges, tunnels and ferry’s it is extremely complicated especially as we are over 4.5 tonne. I came to the conclusion that a BIZ was essential so ordered an Øresund PAY Biz. They were really helpful and the Biz was free and arrived in under a week. I also linked the Storebaelt bridge and the Ferry extension. I am really pleased the charges were straight on my card. The only complication was the Ferry deposit which I paid via Revolut. Very simple.
If you are under 3.5 tonne you may be able to pay as you go but I am sure it will be more expensive and stressful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Very interested in following your progress as this is on our list for 2025.

As an aside I find the journals on MHF difficult and counterintuitive to navigate, blogs and threads on here are much easier so please keep posting when you find the time !

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hope you guys have a good trip! Keep the updates and pics coming. :)
Thanks Nigel, the Lithium system is really a game changer for us. Thanks for all your help with it. Quick question, after a run when the BMS & Victron shunt are showing zero charge, when switching off the engine the shunt & BMS’s are showing a 16A discharge for a couple of minutes when nothing is running. Could the XS be feeding back to the engine battery perhaps? The EBL is bypassed with a relay controlled by D+ as in one of Rogers videos. The XS is also controlled by the D+. I don’t think it is a problem, just confusing.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Well we arrived in Norway yesterday at 14:00 hrs. But time is a bit confusing as Finland is two hours ahead of UK and Norway is one hour ahead, so we lost an hour! The temperature is definitely getting colder and we started seeing clumps of snow in peoples drives then a partially frozen cascade across the river from us, through the trees unfortunately. But can just make it out.
20240608_132725.jpeg

We stopped a few km from the boarder to sort out our passports and other documents and to check that the small amount of booze we have was easy to declare. We had already decided that it would be a “dry” June & July. The fridge was full of food but we could do nothing about that so proceeded towards the boarder.
We reached a 30km/h speed limit then wiggled through a sort of restriction then on to a bridge and that was it! We were crossing the bridge into Norway. There was a dirty old shack but nobody came out. But you never know, it could have been the day or there will be a roadblock a few miles on as has happened to us a few times when crossing into Spain.
We arrived at Tana Bru and found the nice free Aire/Parking place which was a bit full but people seem to be coming and going all the time. The toilets have a dedicated emptying point and the wooden shelters have barbecues for wood fires.
20240609_120951.jpeg

As we have been driving for 8 days solid nearly 3,000 miles, we will take the rest of the day and tomorrow off before pointing our wheels north again towards Nordkap. Despite what Jez1966 says above Denmark, Sweden and Finland are a very long country, the traffic is light but the lanes are quite narrow in Sweden with vicious looking cables as central barriers which requires quite a bit of concentration. Especially when passing trucks like the one I posted about earlier.

Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Nigel, the Lithium system is really a game changer for us. Thanks for all your help with it. Quick question, after a run when the BMS & Victron shunt are showing zero charge, when switching off the engine the shunt & BMS’s are showing a 16A discharge for a couple of minutes when nothing is running. Could the XS be feeding back to the engine battery perhaps? The EBL is bypassed with a relay controlled by D+ as in one of Rogers videos. The XS is also controlled by the D+. I don’t think it is a problem, just confusing.
The XS shouldn't be feeding back to the engine battery. I haven't seen this happen on any of the XS units (or the older Orion-Tr Smart for that matter) we've installed. The only time I've seen this is when a B2B is installed without a relay, so can't be that as you have the relay in place.

Is your fridge a 3-way fridge? If your fridge is a 3-way, I wonder if there is a slight delay in the fridge changing over to another source and drawing from the leisure battery for a few seconds until it changes over?

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
The XS shouldn't be feeding back to the engine battery. I haven't seen this happen on any of the XS units (or the older Orion-Tr Smart for that matter) we've installed. The only time I've seen this is when a B2B is installed without a relay, so can't be that as you have the relay in place.

Is your fridge a 3-way fridge? If your fridge is a 3-way, I wonder if there is a slight delay in the fridge changing over to another source and drawing from the leisure battery for a few seconds until it changes over?
Thanks Nigel, I didn’t think about the fridge. That is probably the answer. It is only for a few minutes so no real problem. It’s a pain to check though because with the tech tower the door has to be open for so long to check the energy source.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back