LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I need some info and what better place to ask than my more than retired friends with nothing but time on their hands where I know there will be an expert or 2 or even 4.

As the title says. 3D printing.

has anyone got an idiots (and I mean complete idiot) guide to how you do it, how it works, do I buy one, what could I potentially do with it? Just bought something for my bike that was "3d printed" what else can be achieved with this technology? how clever do you have to be?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Just buy one and get on with it lol. The creality ones can be found relatively cheap, which is what I bought. You then need the cad software on a pc to create your projects, there are lots of you tube videos showing you how. I use Tinker Cad, it's free and easy to use.
As time progresses you will get better and it really does open up an interesting hobby. I tend just to make things that I think I need as opposed to continually making things.
The secret to me seems to be in the design of the project and being able to use the cad programme, so it might make sense to have a play around with Tinker Cad before you buy a printer. I found using a mouse to manipulate the shapes you create and move around was definitely required

PaulandChrissy seem to be able to make anything anyone asks for and are very helpful.

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Just buy one and get on with it lol. The creality ones can be found relatively cheap, which is what I bought. You then need the cad software on a pc to create your projects, there are lots of you tube videos showing you how. I use Tinker Cad, it's free and easy to use.
As time progresses you will get better and it really does open up an interesting hobby. I tend just to make things that I think I need as opposed to continually making things.
The secret to me seems to be in the design of the project and being able to use the cad programme, so it might make sense to have a play around with Tinker Cad before you buy a printer. I found using a mouse to manipulate the shapes you create and move around was definitely required

PaulandChrissy seem to be able to make anything anyone asks for and are very helpful.
MisterB has has hit the nail right on the head. The art of designing what you want is the most important thing to master. Otherwise you are limited to designs made by others on the internet. I use fusion 360 myself, which at first was a steep learning curve. It does take time to master drawing in cad, but it’s well worth the effort. As mentioned before, watching tons of Utube videos is the way to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I bought my grandson one for christmas.. Think he aimed to high and was trying to make face masks so everything failed..
Been sat around a while and so i thought lets check this out.

He has a Creality ender 3 s1.
Loads on youtube but the basics that i have done so far.
Website "thingaverse" give ready made files that you can download.
Once downloaded you open with a program called "cura" which does a thing called slicing.
That file is then put on an SD card and loaded into the printer.
Set up printer, load the plastic stuff, choose the file, sit back for hours and hopefully you get something.
Biggest issue i have had is getting things to stick to the base, my go to cure is to rub a glue stick over the heat pad. Clean heat pad with soapy water later.

Just done small projects so far, battery holder for my power tools, stand for a gameboy, a duck !!
My grandson took an interest again after i started and managed a mask.

1691744040397.jpg 1691744063790.jpg 1691744076479.jpg 1691744119141.jpg

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
The most crucial layer is the first layer, and keeping the bed super clean. I use isopropanol with paper towels. The art is to get the first layer to squish just enough onto the bed to give good adhesion. Too close and the first layer will start to tear and too far away it doesn’t stick. I usually keep baby stepping closer until it starts to tear and then back off slightly to the point that the tearing stops. Another trick is to spray isopropanol on the bed and then rub some glue stick on the bed so it mixes with the isopropanol, then gently wipe it smooth leaving a film of glue. The whole printing process can be really frustrating at first with loads of failures, but with experience it gets much easier. You can make amazing things.
Here’s a set of windscreen washers i make with adjustable nozzles. All the water galleries inside are 3Dprinted. The only limit to what you can make is your imagination.

IMG_9203.jpeg
IMG_9204.jpeg

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
quite intriguing what can be done. what sort of sized objects can you do? presumably that's all dependent on the size of the printer?

but also, what materials can you print in?

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
You can print in order of ease. PLA. PETG. ASA. TPU. ABS. Polycarbonate and on and on. Each has its pros and cons. I have 3 printers at the moment 1 x 180cubed and 2x 250x210x220. I have on order one that’s 360cubed but won’t arrive until around Christmas time. Very excited about the new big one.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
3d printing gets harder and the prints take longer depending on the size of the piece. A lot faster than you'd expect. A print that's about 10cm cube might take 3 hours. A 20cm object would take a full day. The chance of failure also massively increases as with bigger objects, thermal expansion becomes a problem.

I've designed loads of bits for my van. Enclosures for usb ports, clips for awning poles, an adapter so I could fit my radio. It's very useful. But it does require a bit of skill and learning.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
You can print in order of ease. PLA. PETG. ASA. TPU. ABS. Polycarbonate and on and on. Each has its pros and cons. I have 3 printers at the moment 1 x 180cubed and 2x 250x210x220. I have on order one that’s 360cubed but won’t arrive until around Christmas time. Very excited about the new big one.
He who dies with the most printers wins😂😂

May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
Designing is the part that I had the most doubts. Quickly found Tinkercad and that's really easy to start with, you just drag and drop the shapes to the 'table' and resize them as needed. I don't remember having any issues from day one even if I have a bit short fuse when it comes to learning something like this. It's a bit limited so one has to think quite hard to get something more complicated done, but many things are possible with Tinkercad. It's free to use so learning can begin right away.

1691764128810.png

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Designing is the part that I had the most doubts. Quickly found Tinkercad and that's really easy to start with, you just drag and drop the shapes to the 'table' and resize them as needed. I don't remember having any issues from day one even if I have a bit short fuse when it comes to learning something like this. It's a bit limited so one has to think quite hard to get something more complicated done, but many things are possible with Tinkercad. It's free to use so learning can begin right away.

View attachment 793682
Printing that in that orientation would be possible, but the overhangs will probably lose precision. You could try with the two halves facing with the inside face up and let the slicer add some sacrificial supports. With 3d printing, you need to think differently to what you'd see with a moulded part.

May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
Printing that in that orientation would be possible, but the overhangs will probably lose precision. You could try with the two halves facing with the inside face up and let the slicer add some sacrificial supports. With 3d printing, you need to think differently to what you'd see with a moulded part.

Oh. That was just something to show that Tinkercad (which I mentioned) can be used for stuff like that even if it's a bit beginner level 'cad'. There were no problems printing that thing, the slicer just added supports to the print and all fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back