Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Do you have a normal printer... do you use it ? I cant afford to put ink in mine.

We have many at work, unless you have something you cant actually make another way, they are slow and complicated.

HP have just launched a new range, very fast.

For me, I am just going to B & Q to buy a hook ...

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Do you have a normal printer... do you use it ? I cant afford to put ink in mine.

We have many at work, unless you have something you cant actually make another way, they are slow and complicated.

HP have just launched a new range, very fast.

For me, I am just going to B & Q to buy a hook ...

No I don't have a printer. My company is fully paperless :)

I was thinking it would be a nice fun toy/gadget. Handy to make stuff that breaks in the van as well, but mainly just a toy/fun.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
A brilliant toy, interesting for the price. which is not much more than a paper printer. When these first came out they were in the thousands of £. really good value now.an interesting link

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I am soooo tempted...

Very interesting bit of kit @Grommit , I had no idea 3d printers were that sort of price. What software do you use to make your models? I have used AC3d quite a bit but Blender makes my brain hurt!

All that assembly of the printer would be beyond me but I can see it would be an interesting project.

Paul

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Very interesting bit of kit @Grommit , I had no idea 3d printers were that sort of price. What software do you use to make your models? I have used AC3d quite a bit but Blender makes my brain hurt!

All that assembly of the printer would be beyond me but I can see it would be an interesting project.

Paul
No idea on the software, it would be all totally new to me.. :D

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
No idea on the software, it would be all totally new to me.. :D

As far as I know, you first have to 'design' your project before sending it to the printer. To do this you need some sort of 3d modelling software. AC3D (ac3d.org) is cheap, easy(ish) to use and has features to support 3d printing.

Paul

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
This is where the fun comes, printing what I call 'novelty' items , from a file you can download is ok, but not particularly challenging, to do anything you actually need , you will need CAD software to do that which is a whole new ball of fun.

We are doing Pistons at the minute, once you get into proper stuff, the difficulty is ensuring 100% material integrity, and assessing that requires X ray kit and a guy who knows how to work it.

Not much change out of £500k

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As far as I know, you first have to 'design' your project before sending it to the printer. To do this you need some sort of 3d modelling software. AC3D (ac3d.org) is cheap, easy(ish) to use and has features to support 3d printing.

Paul
Oh I know what to do and how to do it in theory. I just haven't looked at 3D software on Linux yet. My last run in with 3d software was 3D studio max when I was working for a game developer and AutoCad 3D when I was a partner in an engineering/import business but I never really did that much with either.

I do however understand it will be an extremely steep learning curve.. But I love learning new stuff.

My interest in it is now due to the price having come down to hobby/toy level.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Hubby bought one in kit form a few weeks ago (I think £150)- built and working (after a couple of tries) At the moment he's printing buildings for a model railway project. Sigh - another new hobby/project.

now that is something I can relate to.. as long as there is a point .

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Just wait until Lucas' Film's copyright lawyers get hold of them :)
They have bigger fish to fry :D

Actually, they don't mind fan-made stuff; hence the legions of never-kissed-a-girl teenage Stormtroopers at fan conventions :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The kids have been printing Star Wars stuff to make themselves some pocket money (y)
These will sell for £150 each :eek:

Licensed by DisneyCorp of course, so all above board and filled with genuine sparkly Disney Magic (TM) ;)

Can't fault their entrepreneurial instinct and technical skill though.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Get a Brother b/w laser with a refillable (or easily adaptable) cartridge and buy your toner in bulk from http://www.urefilltoner.co.uk/. Been refilling my own for years, for peanuts. I was appalled at the amount schools were paying to run their laser printers.

Canon A3 colour photo printer is a different game though - 8 different ink cartridges costing £8-10 each on eBay. Depressing.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Licensed by DisneyCorp of course, so all above board and filled with genuine sparkly Disney Magic (TM) ;)

Can't fault their entrepreneurial instinct and technical skill though.

And so easy to use that even an 8-year old can operate it.
It does come out as sparkly haired unicorns, though.
Where's the profit in that, I ask?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
And so easy to use that even an 8-year old can operate it.
It does come out as sparkly haired unicorns, though.
Where's the profit in that, I ask?

An 8 year old could operate the NASA space programme, different story for some of us mature people.
When I go into a shop and the chap starts talking technical I just nod, smile and look intelligent then get my son to sort it when I take it home:D

Last edited:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
£130.48 from here: free shipping as well. Very tempted myself.

In the early days of 3D printers, it was suggested that every owner could print another printer to pass on to someone else.

Unfortunately, just this one piece of the Shoretrooper helmet in the previous picture takes eleven hours to print:

I'll start printing your printer now and give you a shout, around late September :)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
What is the cost of the material used to make the printed object and what size object could a reel of it make?
It will probably end up like ink jet printers in a few years where it's cheaper to chuck the empty printer and buy the complete unit again!

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
What is the cost of the material used to make the printed object and what size object could a reel of it make?
It will probably end up like ink jet printers in a few years where it's cheaper to chuck the empty printer and buy the complete unit again!

To print one helmet, as seen in the photos above, uses much less than one kilogram of plastic; we buy decent quality PLA plastic at about £19 per kilo.

Cheap Chinese plastic can be around half the price.

Last edited:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Having watched the video I had added the auto levelling sensor to my Christmas list as well.

Need to sort my article out so I have room...

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Here you go, comic con:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun