3 way fridge cooling whilst driving. (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2015
Highlands
Funster No
We are getting a new M/H at the start of next month and we were wondering how well the fridge keeps cold whilst travelling.
Reason I am asking is for my wife's medication which has to be stored at 4 degrees Celsius.
Had caravans for years and when travelling the fridge seemed to struggle to maintain temperature.
Is it the same in the M/H that it is being powered by the starter battery?
Cheers
Sid

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We are getting a new M/H at the start of next month and we were wondering how well the fridge keeps cold whilst travelling.
Reason I am asking is for my wife's medication which has to be stored at 4 degrees Celsius.
Had caravans for years and when travelling the fridge seemed to struggle to maintain temperature.
Cheers
Sid
It should be fine, our 2014 vans fridge worked perfectly while driving. One time I put a digital thermometer in the freezer and from a warm start and 2 hour drive home the freezer was at minus 12°c 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Modern fridges have bigger 12v elements and are thermostaticly controlled and work far better than the older ones.

But 4° in any caravan or Motorhome fridge will be very difficult to maintain 6° is more the norm.

Probably safer to get one of these, also useful for the beer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Cheers
Sid
We've been carrying Rita's injection meds for several years now, which have to be stored at temperatures of anywhere from 2 - 7 degrees celcius. Since replacing the thermo gel behind the fridge fins, we are able to do that easily whilst travelling on the 12v setting.
We use a digital thermometer to give us an accurate fridge temperature, with the sensor attatched to a metal tin, rather than the plastic wall of the fridge. It was initially supplied by the medication providers, and we have since replaced it, like for like.

1710580428365.png

This particular thermometer has the advantage of a room sensor too, which I find handy first thing in the morning, ie, heating on or not. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I have a 12v compressor cool box , happily stays at the chosen temperature,I run it as a freezer, leaving the new 3 way for a fridge,
Against the trend I removed and sold the 4 month old compressor fridge.I now have a choice.....In my opinion it doesn't matter how many or what type of batteries and solar you have under the wrong circumstances you can be at least inconvenienced by lack of volts.
I only have 640w solar and 250ah battery bank and b2b.
I'm sure others will be along to advise against 3way and much bigger(battery bank lithium)
and depending on the individual circumstances/need .. quite rightly.
Horses for courses

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
3 way fridges running on electric can be a little under powered (and yet they pull tons of current). Bringing the temperature down can be difficult for them. So loading the fridge with pre-cooled items and running the fridge for a bit before you leave (from hook-up electric or gas if you can't) will give the fridge an easier time. Once cooled, it should maintain the temperature fine.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
what make /model fridge is it? My Thetford N4000 series is excellent on 12v. Keeps it at 0 or 1 degree at the top of the fridge. As others have said you need to pre cool it on mains or gas first - I usually put it on 24 hours before I leave. But once it is there it stays there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back