Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Starting this thread two days in with a post I put on the Snow Chains Thread:

We’re in a Cerveceria in Tudela watching Barcelona -v- I don’t know, waiting for our second burger and chips in two days - we’ve tried a French burger, now to compare with a Spanish one ... Messi has just scored so all’s well here! It makes up for him missing MOTD yesterday....

We are in unknown territory now, a part of Spain unknown to us, driving an unknown van, heading for an unknown experience of 6 weeks in Beni - but very eager to see if we’ve made a mistake or not! I know we haven’t made a mistake with our Hollibobs destination - can’t wait to get there on Tuesday - afternoon tea with the girls has already been booked for a Thursday - they obviously wanted to wait for me to arrive before they went all posh! ;)

The first two days have been mercifully uneventful for which I am grateful. The van has performed admirably - for which I am ETERNALLY grateful.

Funsters, if you only knew the trials and tribulations I have gone through in the last few weeks. You all knew he loved his van - but you didn’t know how much!!!!

All I can say is if he loves me as much as he did the 564 (the jury’s still out on that one), he will never leave me - the pain would be too much!

Added to that he was mega unsure about every aspect of the new one - length, price, private purchase, things not working (which were either fixed before purchase or he was told to “READ THE BLEEDIN INSTRUCTIONS”) ....

Add Christmas into the mix, no MHF meets to go to = misery!

Anyhoo, the drive down so far has been brill - although he has already calculated MPG and we are now travelling at a sedate 55-60 mph.

And so we are now in Tudela, in a Cerveceria, Spanish burgers far outdo French ones, the footies on, diesel has reduced in price from €1.36 to €1.13 so we are all good.

The pub is full of older men watching the telly, young men on their phones and a chap that has obviously told the missus he’ll take the baby out in the pushchair to get her to go to sleep. He was doing well - until Messi scored .....:doh:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
First photo on Foreign soil ....

045FCD52-A4A2-4EC6-9677-9C8269E4C597.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If the afternoon tea is where we went for Shirley and Irenes' joint birthday celebration in November I am green with envy. Have a lovely time but it will use at least a weeks worth of your carbs so be warned!

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Have a great trip both and keep us updated on your adventures.
Please keep the photos coming too!

Regards

Mr n Mrs Trikeman.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hope all goes well and have a great time...(y)

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
After another calm day we are sitting overlooking orange groves at Simat de la Valldigna.

We followed Steve’s @tonka route, which was very clear and easy to follow. The route took us right across the heart of Spain, a desolate and empty place, like something from an old cowboy film.

The weather improved as we crossed the border and we’ve had the sun streaming through the window all day.

We’ve lived off ham and salami sandwiches, supplemented with burgers and pizza - I can’t remember eating so unhealthily in years! Fortunately we get to Beni tomorrow, so the healthy eating starts again tomorrow and we can at least get out of the van and walk! We got to the Aires early enough to walk today, but apart from three circuits of the town, there was nowhere else to go!

It’s been a long three days, but we wanted to test the van, and up to now it’s been fine.

Our view from the window:
FFF60B9C-2F7B-46F3-BF26-4B46BE1E8DED.jpeg

I took this whilst picking my way carefully around dog poo!
B4875F16-A3AC-475A-9FF5-63D30F988FB3.jpeg

I will hopefully get some group shots tomorrow!

Piccies, piccies and more piccies please, I really enjoy these types of thread! Food, locations, etc
You’ll get photos of locations and people, but unfortunately no food. It’s one of Clifton’s pet hates - he can’t understand why people have to take photos of their dinner!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
You’ll get photos of locations and people, but unfortunately no food. It’s one of Clifton’s pet hates - he can’t understand why people have to take photos of their dinner!
We like photos of food (we’re in a FB group specifically for motorhomers to share photos of food) because it’s interesting to see what people have managed to create with the limited facilities in a motorhome - my wife was a professional cook, and I am a professional eater. And if you’re dining out, particularly in foreign parts, it’s interesting to see good food well presented (we both think food should look good as well as tasting good).

Personally not so interested in seeing photos of funsters sitting in a bar in Benidorm or wherever :D

Sorry to digress, and don’t want to hijack or divert your thread!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We arrived yesterday! Just too late to meet everyone at La Torretta, so we cycled in to town to get - of all things - a connector to sort the telly out!

Even at 4.30pm when wrinklies are usually taking an afternoon nap, the place was full of people walking, shopping and singing Karma Kamelian in one of the many bars!

Cliff bought the TV connectors and we cycled back - to be met by @Sheddy Eddy who revealed that we wouldn’t get a picture on the telly because it’s an analogue signal here in Villasol. Now here’s the thing Funster Amigos - We knew this - Cliff said ‘shall we take down one of the many old tellys that are sitting in our attic, just in case?’ And I said ‘No - surely a sophisticated telly like the brand new Avtex we’ve just bought will be able to do the job.....’

Suffice to say ‘EE WAS NOT APPY’ !!! Turns out the brand new sophisticated Avtex telly will not do the job! @Sheddy ’s Shirley came around at just the right moment with some delicious Christmas Cake made by Audrey, which cheered him up no end, and I searched the t’internet and found an advert for the telly that said it would tune in to digital or analogue signals in seconds!

We walked back into town to swap the telly connectors - but to no avail ...

So we watched another DVD - Hornblower this time, and I have to say it was very good.

Anyway Eddy the Angel came over today with a telly he had removed from his bedroom wall! We still can’t get it to work - but at least we know it’s ‘user error’ - so will have it sorted by tonight.

Can’t stop now - just off to Villasol terrace bar for our initiation ceremony- wish us luck!

Oh, and did I say - the sun is shining and it’s mucho warmo! (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Afternoon drinks on the terrace was lovely - afternoon tea with the girls tomorrow - lovely .....

Suffice to say - we are watching episode 3 of Hornblower - we can’t get the telly to tune in ..... at least we don’t know what happened with the vote yesterday .... do we still have a lady PM?

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Afternoon drinks on the terrace was lovely - afternoon tea with the girls tomorrow - lovely .....

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Thats 60 pints worth down in Beni you know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don’t I know it Steve - but my thinking is, as long as we are teetotal for the first 3 days we’ll have recouped our losses.... ;)

@cliffandger thought I would just re-jog your memory Geraldine.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013

Don’t I know it Steve - but my thinking is, as long as we are teetotal for the first 3 days we’ll have recouped our losses.... ;)

Yeah but, yeah but, yeah but, that was before the trials and tribulations with the telly Dave .... you don’t know what I’ve been through....;)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Dont take them long to get influenced.. :whistle::whistle:
Dave, I just hope they have got a nice sunny pitch and keep it tidy for when we arrive...

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
569C7756-CF2E-476D-879D-CD68A1C8B7B6.jpeg
Afternoon tea was goooooorgeous ....

Well done @Sheddy Shirley for finding this little gem of a restaurant - in amongst 1000s of cafes, restaurants and bars - I’ve never seen so many in such a small area!

We are off to a quiz tonight - those that know me and quizzes - please don’t let on what I’m like - or I will be Billy No Mates for 6 week’s ...... ;)

Cliff is in the bar and I’ve come back to the van to practice for tomorrow afternoon’s gig at the Villasol Terrace Bar. My second international gig .... what it’s like to be a rock star ... :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back