1996 Hymer (fiat ducato 2.5td) B694 fuel tank vent? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

mrT

Jul 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694
Hi,we have a 1996 Hymer B694 tag axle motorhome. (fiat ducato 2.5td based) when removing the fuel filler today there was a definate vacuum going on,(loud hiss) does anyone know the location of the fuel tank vent? (i'm assuming its blocked)
thanks in advance.

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
There was a thread on this on Autosleepers forum. Replies seemed split between vent in cap or a breather tube. Also that a certain amount of pressure was required in the tank for fuel system to work. It’s been a bit warm too.

OP
OP
mrT

mrT

Jul 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694
There was a thread on this on Autosleepers forum. Replies seemed split between vent in cap or a breather tube. Also that a certain amount of pressure was required in the tank for fuel system to work. It’s been a bit warm too.
i've looked and the cap doesnt have a vent (as far as i can see)
i dont think the tank should have vacuum........but could be the weather as you suggested.
i would have thought there should be some form of vent in the system..............
has anyone with the same vintage Hymer experienced this??

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
i've looked and the cap doesnt have a vent (as far as i can see)
i dont think the tank should have vacuum........but could be the weather as you suggested.
i would have thought there should be some form of vent in the system..............
has anyone with the same vintage Hymer experienced this??
Hi. On our last van, 2.8jtd fiat, it too always seemed to have a vacuum. We owned it for 7 years & never caused a problem. I assumed it was just how they worked?
Current van also has a slight vacuum but maybe not as much. It’s a fiat also.

Reactions: mrT
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Are you sure the noise you hear is air rushing in to the tank and not out ? Meaning pressure is being released and not vacuum diminished . For many years now, vehicle diesel and petrol tanks haven't vented to atmosphere, instead producing a positive pressure internally by the action of the fuel return circuit, this is always more noticeable when removing the sealed filler cap when the tank has a low content (usually the case).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrT

mrT

Jul 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694
Are you sure the noise you hear is air rushing in to the tank and not out ? Meaning pressure is being released and not vacuum diminished . For many years now, vehicle diesel and petrol tanks haven't vented to atmosphere, instead producing a positive pressure internally by the action of the fuel return circuit, this is always more noticeable when removing the sealed filler cap when the tank has a low content (usually the case).
yes you are probably right. curiously it hasnt done it since! anyway,it hasnt caused an issue and van runs fine. (just one of the curiositys of a new to us van!) :) thanks.

OP
OP
mrT

mrT

Jul 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694
Hi. On our last van, 2.8jtd fiat, it too always seemed to have a vacuum. We owned it for 7 years & never caused a problem. I assumed it was just how they worked?
Current van also has a slight vacuum but maybe not as much. It’s a fiat also.
yes you are probably right. thank you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back