12v question (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
I have a 2002 hymer,if when travelling I switch my 12v panel offabove the door.is my fridge still going to work,when switched to battery. 🤔

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Can't be absolutely certain without seeing the circuit diagram, but normally yes, it should switch. Our first van we had to switch it manually but the latter two have been auto switch over as soon as the engine is started. Has it got indicators to say what the fridge is running on? If so, start the engine and look. I would expect the 12v indicator to be lit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cookieboy68
Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
I have a dial with symbols,plug for ehu,battery fir travelling and flame for gas.
I switch it to battery when travelling but also leave the 12v panel on which means all things are active i.e lights and taps etc.
Ineed to know if I switch the 12v panel off ,will the fridge still work when switched to battery symbol.The step works with the panel off.
The reason I ask .Last time out when I switched the engine off. I could here the water pump going.I discovered that the shower had come on ,only a dribble, so the pump hadn't run dry and burnt out fortunately.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Turn the 12v off to stop the problem with the pump running. I can turn off the pump individually that I always do before travelling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Turn the 12v off to stop the problem with the pump running. I can turn off the pump individually that I always do before travelling.
I would think the op’s Hymer is the same as my 2001 Hymer with micro switches on taps so should need the pump running. I’ve never turned my 12 volt off above the door unless I’m working on the electric’s

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We always do after a tap opened under gravity on a rough road and we had a fountain in the van as the nozzle bit had been inverted to shut the sink cover. Design over function means the heavy handle of the tap is vertically up. If it was down, it would tend to shut rather than opening. Now we turn the power off to the pump before moving.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cookieboy68
Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
I wonder why you turn the 12 volt off but yes fridge should still work.

We always do after a tap opened under gravity on a rough road and we had a fountain in the van as the nozzle bit had been inverted to shut the sink cover. Design over function means the heavy handle of the tap is vertically up. If it was down, it would tend to shut rather than opening. Now we turn the power off to the pump before moving.
That's kind of what happened to me.👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But why turn it off, if you needed to use the toilet for example you’d have turn the 12 volt on for the flush
That's one thing I don't miss about UK built MHs which automatically turn off the 12v system when you start the engine. When we had UK ones and wanted to stop enroute for a pee 9 times out of 10 we'd forget to turn the 12v on so the flush and water pump worked! It drove us nuts.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Opening the door and checking the internal light works well for 12v 😉
But aren't they two different 12v supplies?

I have a simple 3-way fridge.

The 12v for cooling is from the alternator, the 12v for the light is from the main 12v hab circuit.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back