LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
speaking to my neighbour, her heating and hot water is run by diesal and her roof mounted air con is 12v so can be used off ehu.
All factory fitted on her knaus panel van.

https://viesaholiday.com/en/

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There is no viable air conditioning system on the market that will work on 12 volt for any usable time

This is a roof van with water, some claim that they work, the idea has been around for decades

There was one called "Blizzard" that would slop water all over the place under heavy breaking that caused some amusement some years ago

I am sure that I read somewhere that you have to be careful with the water and the risk of Legionnaires Disease

JML do a portable version for £40 and they are sold as the "newest thing from Australia" at markets, car boots and show for four or five times that under different guises

EDIT: "There is no viable air conditioning system on the market that will work on 12 volt for any usable time" Unless your driving

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's a roof mounted version of one of these trans cool or whatever they call them that you see at the NEC and other shows.

Our air-con runs off 12v ;)

Martin

Just for Eddie I will add 12v from 320ah LiFePO4 via an inverter.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Try a nosy at this on the bay of fleas, not true air con but you pays your money you takes your choice.
Caravan & Motorhome EvaChill EvaPolar Portable Air Conditioner Air Con Cooler

eBay item number:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I know this is an old thread, but I'm struggling to get any reliable info on the Viesa air units. I understand they are not air conditioning per se, but does anyone have any real life experience of using one. My dealer has offered this option for 1.640 euros fitted and assures me that it is more than enough for the Spanish summer. I have my doubts to be honest.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No

These work on the principal of evaporation the water is drawn into a wick air is blown across it as the water evaporates it has a cooling effect. One major problem is if the humidity is high adding more water to it makes it very humid and sticky.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have a Dometic Freshjet 2200, we have 700 watts of solar 2x100 Transporter Lithium batteries and a Victron 12/2000/80 inverter charger. We can run this for extended periods when the sun is around as long as we don’t try to turn the van into a fridge. It also has the benefit when on low powered EHU any extra can be taken from the batteries. Not cheap but it suits us. There are some more modern inverter technology air cons that use less power. But all are quite noisy in use

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You may as well buy a transcool, no matter what some people say they do work
If your going down that route you may as well buy a JML

Under fifty quid,

There is no 12v air conditioning system that works

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

These work on the principal of evaporation the water is drawn into a wick air is blown across it as the water evaporates it has a cooling effect. One major problem is if the humidity is high adding more water to it makes it very humid and sticky.
Also known as swamp coolers. If it's already humid, they can't evaporate the water, so they don't cool at all.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If your going down that route you may as well buy a JML

Under fifty quid,

There is no 12v air conditioning system that works
No not at all the transcool has 4 air outlets, bigger and 2 fans, moves more air, has a better cooling filter, lasts longer on a tank of water and has a fully variable fan speed from fast, down to whisper quiet.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
No not at all the transcool has 4 air outlets, bigger and 2 fans, moves more air, has a better cooling filter, lasts longer on a tank of water and has a fully variable fan speed from fast, down to whisper quiet.
By six JML units and dot them about, still cheaper

It’s fan blowing over water

Not used commercially anymore because of Legionnaires disease

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
By six JML units and dot them about, still cheaper

It’s fan blowing over water

Not used commercially anymore because of Legionnaires disease
Its not all about cost, a transcool is better and works. In non commercial situations theres no chance of Legionnaires as you keep it clean and filled with fresh clean water.

BTW you can buy 20 old white vans and put mattresses in the backs of them and they will be cheaper than a motorhome.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Or temu 👍
https://share.temu.com/gskCoKIrptA

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Its not all about cost, a transcool is better and works.
It may do something but it isn’t a 12 volt air conditioner
In non commercial situations theres no chance of Legionnaires as you keep it clean and filled with fresh clean water.
Till you forget :Eeek:
BTW you can buy 20 old white vans and put mattresses in the backs of them and they will be cheaper than a motorhome.
The I agree with your analogy “proper”air conditioning versus your description, a mattress in the back of an old white van

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
When you're body is hot, it cold itself by sweating. A bit of moisture leaves your skin and the evaporation takes heat with it (and normally this happens well enough that you don't get damp). Swamp coolers cool the air using the same technique... but it means the air is already saturated with moisture. Your sweat will no longer evaporate and you'll get sticky. So yeah, they can chill the air (depending on how humid the air already is), but in doing so, they reduce your own cooling capacity.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
From years of using evaporative aircon in Australia (gets quite warm) they need a lot of volume flow to
be effective , also low humidity . Usually windows open to get good thruflow and pulling air from outside to get the differential pressure up (breezy) They are cost effective for cooling where there is public transit eg shop areas where doors are being frequently opened, this requires normal heat exchanger aircon to have to work quite hard (best with all windows ,doors shut). If you just want to have a cool breeze into your face that's about the capability of a 12v evaporative two maxxfans one in one out will give much the same effect but due to the lack of humidity increase will possibly cool the rest of your body better . JMHE .

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It may do something but it isn’t a 12 volt air conditioner

Till you forget :Eeek:

The I agree with your analogy “proper”air conditioning versus your description, a mattress in the back of an old white van
The analogy was against a JML cooler as against a Transcool

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
So would the evaporative cooler being on the roof mean that the humidity inside the van doesn’t increase? Or does the cooler humid air get blown in?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
So would the evaporative cooler being on the roof mean that the humidity inside the van doesn’t increase? Or does the cooler humid air get blown in?
I guess if they had a heat exchanger, they could keep the humid air out. But they don't. Because then you may as well have a proper AC system. They just suck in air, run it past an evaporator to cool (and humidify) the air, the pump it inside.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Well I have decided against the Viesa and have gone for the Bergstrom OpenAir which is the latest invention it seems. Runs on 12V and has some very good reviews out there. €1.850 fitted - only €100 more than the Viesa and it is a proper air conditioner.

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
Well I have decided against the Viesa and have gone for the Bergstrom OpenAir which is the latest invention it seems. Runs on 12V and has some very good reviews out there. €1.850 fitted - only €100 more than the Viesa and it is a proper air conditioner.
Will be very interested how you get on??
Please share your thoughts on here as I think we will be needing some extra cooling power if the long range forecast here in Spain is accurate.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Will be very interested how you get on??
Please share your thoughts on here as I think we will be needing some extra cooling power if the long range forecast here in Spain is accurate.
Yes, will do. I hope to have the van in my possession at the end of the month - there is a waiting list in the workshop for the installation of the air, plus the solar panel and the inverter. You are in Spain, me too, the Canaries.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It's a roof mounted version of one of these trans cool or whatever they call them that you see at the NEC and other shows.

Our air-con runs off 12v ;)

Martin

Just for Eddie I will add 12v from 320ah LiFePO4 via an inverter.
Ours works off 105ah LiFePO4 , solar and engine alternator through inverter

It’s ducted a/c, not roof mount

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back