Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Help! Our TomTom Camper version SatNav (and Google maps of course) insist on trying to route us down roads which are sometimes not much more than country lanes (mainly talking UK routes). It’s so annoying that we now always have a road map handy to ensure we don’t take the suggested ‘shortcut’!
Is there a SatNav out there that only gives routes on A and B roads only and ignores anything smaller/narrower?? Maybe a HGV type SATNAV?

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
This may help you make a decision. Unfortunately none are less fallible than your road map

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Help! Our TomTom Camper version SatNav (and Google maps of course) insist on trying to route us down roads which are sometimes not much more than country lanes (mainly talking UK routes). It’s so annoying that we now always have a road map handy to ensure we don’t take the suggested ‘shortcut’!
Is there a SatNav out there that only gives routes on A and B roads only and ignores anything smaller/narrower?? Maybe a HGV type SATNAV?
Use Google maps to see exactly where you are and a paper map to plan your route. Never fails. 👌

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I don't recommend Garmin its very unreliable but very reliable for those that only use it from A to B in the UK :LOL:

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Try the free app ‘Magic Earth’. It has a ‘Truck’ setting into which you can input vehicle dimensions, overall and axle weight, plus maximum speed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
What have you set as your route planning default options?

If you don’t set them up to match your own preferences then you will get some strange routes.

Also, have you set up your vehicle profile and have you selected it. If not, it will be using a car profile.

Finally, have you selected the Camper Map or are you using the default map?

Ian

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I don't recommend Garmin its very unreliable but very reliable for those that only use it from A to B in the UK :LOL:
Not even good for that can't get us out the storage are without trying to take us into someone's garden or a livery stable, now we know they are wrong, but if it was Johnny foreigner they might well get a bit miffed.
It is however excellent for giving digital MPH/KPH

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've got a TomTom Camper and have "fastest route" selected. It will make a beeline for motorways most of the time which, if you are in the wilds, may take you down some 'interesting' roads to get to it. I don't always want to take motorways and often select interim destinations so that it will route me via the roads that I wish to use. Best 'rule of thumb' is ignore anything that has grass growing down the middle. That and get yourself a 'slimline' motorhome.;)

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
All three of my Garmin units are reliable enough for me, just need to check the route before pressing 'Go' to double check.
I use Garmin BaseCamp in line with our Camper sat navs and you can set various pre-installed Avoidances,
1723537738321.png

and User defined Avoidances.

You can also set road type speed settings so if you stick to 55mph on motorways you set it to that to give closer route point / destination arrival times.
1723537943233.png

As you say, we still double check the routing results.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Better than the Magic Earth App, is the Road Lords App, especially if driving anything larger than a LWB panel van.

Google maps are great for route planning, etc, but not as a Sat Nav for larger vehicles.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
What have you set as your route planning default options?

If you don’t set them up to match your own preferences then you will get some strange routes.

Also, have you set up your vehicle profile and have you selected it. If not, it will be using a car profile.

Finally, have you selected the Camper Map or are you using the default map?

Ian
Hi Bigtwin, yes I’ve done all those things. I’ve played around with ‘quickest’ and ‘shortest’ routing but obviously these still try and send you down country lanes. I’ll double check the other options though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I've got a TomTom Camper and have "fastest route" selected. It will make a beeline for motorways most of the time which, if you are in the wilds, may take you down some 'interesting' roads to get to it. I don't always want to take motorways and often select interim destinations so that it will route me via the roads that I wish to use. Best 'rule of thumb' is ignore anything that has grass growing down the middle. That and get yourself a 'slimline' motorhome.;)
Thanks, good advice 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I use Garmin BaseCamp in line with our Camper sat navs and you can set various pre-installed Avoidances,
View attachment 935089
and User defined Avoidances.

You can also set road type speed settings so if you stick to 55mph on motorways you set it to that to give closer route point / destination arrival times.
View attachment 935094

As you say, we still double check the routing results.
The road type avoidance is a handy parameter 👍

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Having said which, our straw poll on the other thread, the Garmin won the 'Cornish Pub Crawl' route.
Google failed miserably

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Road Lords is popular amongst some hgv drivers free and paid versions

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
All sat navs need is a "use major roads" preference. Most sat navs I have used, including camper types, happily send you onto minor roads unnecessarily as you get closer to the target. Or send you off a major road, and later put you back on the original major road. This is where a traditional paper map helps.

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
Try the free app ‘Magic Earth’. It has a ‘Truck’ setting into which you can input vehicle dimensions, overall and axle weight, plus maximum speed.
Downloaded Magic Earth App don't see Truck settings on it ??

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The "Cornish pub crawl SatNav test route":
I use it to test SatNav's. I know the route well as my mother lived at one end and my sister at the other, with my niece in the middle.

The St Tudy Inn, St Tudy, PL30 3NN
The White Hart Inn, St Teath, PL30 3JX
The Port William Inn, Tregardock, PL34 0HB

The correct answer is:
1723569940874.png

The route given by Google and others is not realistically drivable in a motorhome as it involves several miles of single track with high hedges (so you will scratch you van,) a 300 degree hairpin bend, and as a minimum any driver must have the ability to reverse half a mile back up a single track with 3" of space on either side up a steep hill and around blind corners.

Google also correctly says the speed limit on the single track is 60mph.
The reality is 15-20mph

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The road type avoidance is a handy parameter 👍
That’s available on the TT Camper too. 👍

Most sat navs I have used, including camper types, happily send you onto minor roads unnecessarily as you get closer to the target.

That hasn’t been my experience with the TT Camper.

Ian

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I use Tom Tom go commercial version and you can add your vehicle dimensions - height, width and weight. However, I cannot guarantee it will take notice of this 😂 but it is certainly much better than google maps.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back