£75 for a spare key - reasonable? (2 Viewers)

Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Local key cutter says he'll want £75 and access to the van for an hour to cut me a spare ignition key.

McLouis Fusion 331 2021

Reasonable price?

I was hoping to get one for a tenner or so - didn't realise they had chips in them! Bugger!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It cost me 60€ here to have a new spare 'chipped' key cut & programmed to the vehicle .with access to the vehicle needed to reset existing remote key & new one,a total of 40 seconds.
When I had the 'remote' key renewed it was only 37€ as the chip & brains are all in the upper remote part so the key is just a blank that clips to it.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
That's handy to know for the future, I will give it a go, I hope it works.
Might depend on what additional alarm / tracker you've got fitted and how this interfaces with the FIAT alarm / immobiliser.

Would be interested in hearing how you get on.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Might depend on what additional alarm / tracker you've got fitted and how this interfaces with the FIAT alarm / immobiliser.

Would be interested in hearing how you get on.
I have an Auto watch alarm which I think Auto Trail fit as standard.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Apologies Dane as just reread my original response to yourself and I guess you could read as it also disables the alarm. It doesn't when unlocking the doors!

Don't have the non-fob key with me but try unlocking the door with the metal insert key and open the door. This should activate the alarm however if you put the same key in the ignition and turn to "MAR-ON" it should disable the alarm and turning it again should start the engine.

Not ideal as we'd get a call from our tracking folk but .....

Just tried, I can open the door with the blank key and the alarm goes off, I can start the engine but the alarm keeps going.

Also Just been into Timpson's to ask about a spare key, he put my reg in his system and for a Fiat originol £500 + Bugger that for a game of soldiers, I will see if it's possible to get a spare remote for the alarm from Autowatch.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Local key cutter says he'll want £75 and access to the van for an hour to cut me a spare ignition key.

McLouis Fusion 331 2021

Reasonable price?

I was hoping to get one for a tenner or so - didn't realise they had chips in them! Bugger!

I was in Timpsons just this morning collecting some shoes and noticed they had a lookalike of my Ducato ignition key. As I only have one I enquired as to price and time to fit.

£75 cost.

The key is mechanical, I thought, no alarm or central locking except that when the key is used mechanically in the door lock it locks/unlocks both cab doors but not hab door. However the Timpson guy said that I had to have the van present so that he could 'introduce' the new key to the van and ensure a match.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Just tried, I can open the door with the blank key and the alarm goes off, I can start the engine but the alarm keeps going.

Also Just been into Timpson's to ask about a spare key, he put my reg in his system and for a Fiat originol £500 + Bugger that for a game of soldiers, I will see if it's possible to get a spare remote for the alarm from Autowatch.

As said, Timpsoms are expensive. A full remote key from a local autolocksmith should be nearer £150. They will need access to the OBD port and all existing keys so they can make sure the car is programmed for all keys as they add the new ones.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for the update.

I would guess that if the engine starts it has disabled the FIAT alarm and immobiliser so possibly your Autowatch alarm that's continuing to sound. :unsure:

Do you have a separate fob to deactivate this?

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thanks for the update.

I would guess that if the engine starts it has disabled the FIAT alarm and immobiliser so possibly your Autowatch alarm that's continuing to sound. :unsure:

Do you have a separate fob to deactivate this?
No only the remote key fob. I know you can get a remote without the key for the alarm, just don't know whats involved In setting it up. I'm going to contact Autowatch.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back