£700 of insurance quote is because of EN7 storage location (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Apologies more a rant, but others may like to check insurance if using a storage site.
Searching around for "cheaper" insurance I've been quoted £1,346 based on current details, inline with expectation.

But in short the quote would be £646 if stored at a risk 1 location. So £956 for storage + £700 insurance loading because storage is EN7.
It's fenced, locked, only access is through caravan park that has barrier controlled entry.
They are not judging the site but post code crime rate.
I've been looking to change storage to get van nearer to WD24 but no luck so far, looking harder now.

Bio:
58, additional driver 61
Both retired
Only 3 years experiences, though I've driven 56,000 miles in last 12 months on USA road trip, so more real experience than time based measure.
21 Swift Kon-Tiki 599 Sport
Swift Command Thatcham 7 tracker
£68,000
Up to 11 miles (would not quote for > 11k)
UK/European breakdown
9 month European
Home: WD24 4PJ
Storage: EN7 5HW Risk 3 on 1-4 scale.

Oct 22, 2023
Rowley Regis, West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
AT F60 on order
Exp
Awaiting delivery of new MH, ordered at NEC Oct 2023
I did a dummy quote ahead of getting our MH. It was cheaper to park it on our drive with only a steering lock over and above any factory-fitted security, than at the CASOA gold site that we've pre-booked. We don't have space on the drive to keep it here.

OP
OP
J
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I did a dummy quote ahead of getting our MH. It was cheaper to park it on our drive with only a steering lock over and above any factory-fitted security, than at the CASOA gold site that we've pre-booked. We don't have space on the drive to keep it here.
Yep, I did same but we have no drive and our dedicated space only car sized.
Quote for street parked near house was less but not permitted to park motorhomes on our road.
Which is a little as EN7 5HW in Jan 24 had 146 crimes reported but WD24 4PJ had <500 as the town centre
is included but still cheaper than EN7 5HW.
#1 requirement for next property will have parking for motorhome & car.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My NFU insurance is based purely on post code, they say there is no loading for it being in a storage compound with only basic security. At my last address it would have been more expensive to keep it at home on the drive than in storage because the compound had a better post code than my home address.

Oct 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
AT F60 on order
Exp
In our case, there's no discount for it being in secure storage. I'm sure it would be far easier to take it from our drive and get the keys (if they got past the baseball bat in Mr Jo-jos hands), than off a security- patrolled gated compound without the keys. It makes no sense.

We too, will ensure we have MH parking when we downsize.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
In our case, there's no discount for it being in secure storage. I'm sure it would be far easier to take it from our drive and get the keys (if they got past the baseball bat in Mr Jo-jos hands), than off a security- patrolled gated compound without the keys. It makes no sense.

We too, will ensure we have MH parking when we downsize.
Not getting a discount would be great, it's the additional £700 loading because it is in secure storage that irks me.

Oct 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
AT F60 on order
Exp
I think it was about £150 more in storage, so loading for us too, when I was expecting a discount on the on-the-drive price.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I had this problem too, Casaoa Gold site was double my previous storage due to high-risk postcode. Eventually sorted it out with, at the time, a sympathetic broker. Unfortunately they changed hands and wouldn't even try so blew them away.
You just have to ring around, on-line quotations are almost always useless as they're not really geared up for motorhomes.

OP
OP
J
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Went with Caravan Guard £1,007 so £300 less than Adrian Flux & Comfort.
Didn't bother to enquire about loading.
I'll have more time to research next year and be in the same time zone, sorting it from 3,500 miles sat in van in USA
not very easy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back