Globecar Warranty - hab service help (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay guys and girls ... our Globecar Campscout came with a 2 year warranty (base and hab), the Fiat base needs its first service at 2 years (or earlier if very high or very low mileage use) but I can't find a definitive answer regarding the need for a habitation (or damp) check.

I've asked the dealer and they are telling me that it has to be done at 1 year BUT can be done by an AWS place, rather than by them which is good however I'm not overly convinced it needs to have it done at all as our manual doesn't say it is mandatory in order to keep the warranty valid ... read this and tell me what you think please:

1.2 Warranty
1. The legal guarantee and product warranty rights apply for the vehicle.
2. It is advisable to present the vehicle for inspection by a Globecar dealer at
the end of the first year in order to assert any warranty claims that may
arise. The presentation should take place 2 months at the latest after the
anniversary of the initial registration (or delivery).
As proof that the inspection has been completed, the inspection has to be
confirmed on the corresponding page in this operating manual by a stamp,
the date and the signature of the respective Globecar dealer.
3. The costs of the inspection are to be paid by the vehicle owner.​

Also, I'd be grateful if owners of any Globecars made from 2015 onwards could have a look in their manual (assuming it's dated later than 2014 which ours is even though we bought it new last year!) and tell me if it says the same thing or if it has been changed for newer models - thanks.

I'm not adverse to having the hab done but obviously it ain't cheap and most of what is done is very basic.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Not sure on legal as the above can be read both ways.
"It is advisable" ie not mandatory
"in order to assert any warranty claims that may arise." Meaning if not done can break warranty

However for the sake if a couple of hundred quid to keep I'm warranty as opposed to not spending an potentially having a problem I would get the check done

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
A "good" hab service is quite extensive, it includes a gas pressure test, removing the seat to check batteries and and a lot of other stuff that does take a lot of time.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Advisable may mean must have and it's been lost in translation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
get it done you know it makes sense. the manufacturers will use any excuse to get out of sorting out warranty problems.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Give Globecar in Germany a call, I had to call them once and they where very helpful although nothing to do with warranty.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Okay guys and girls ... our Globecar Campscout came with a 2 year warranty (base and hab), the Fiat base needs its first service at 2 years (or earlier if very high or very low mileage use) but I can't find a definitive answer regarding the need for a habitation (or damp) check.

I've asked the dealer and they are telling me that it has to be done at 1 year BUT can be done by an AWS place, rather than by them which is good however I'm not overly convinced it needs to have it done at all as our manual doesn't say it is mandatory in order to keep the warranty valid ... read this and tell me what you think please:

1.2 Warranty
1. The legal guarantee and product warranty rights apply for the vehicle.
2. It is advisable to present the vehicle for inspection by a Globecar dealer at
the end of the first year in order to assert any warranty claims that may
arise. The presentation should take place 2 months at the latest after the
anniversary of the initial registration (or delivery).
As proof that the inspection has been completed, the inspection has to be
confirmed on the corresponding page in this operating manual by a stamp,
the date and the signature of the respective Globecar dealer.
3. The costs of the inspection are to be paid by the vehicle owner.​

Also, I'd be grateful if owners of any Globecars made from 2015 onwards could have a look in their manual (assuming it's dated later than 2014 which ours is even though we bought it new last year!) and tell me if it says the same thing or if it has been changed for newer models - thanks.

I'm not adverse to having the hab done but obviously it ain't cheap and most of what is done is very basic.

Autotrail will not honour the warranty if the habitation service is not up to date. Im guessing here Minxy but...I reckon that would be the same for them all? Get it done and be sorted. Should you not..then there will be a reason for them to fail your warranty regardless. It seriously comes down to the way it is written...check the small print!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Can’t help you with Globecar but we have had 3 new vans and in each case we only ever had the damp check done each year. Both the Autosleeper and Chausson dealers said that the lack of a hab check did not affect the warranty.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Can’t help you with Globecar but we have had 3 new vans and in each case we only ever had the damp check done each year. Both the Autosleeper and Chausson dealers said that the lack of a hab check did not affect the warranty.

Hi Guys..How does the water ingress warranty work then ? If the habitation service is not carried out, surely the potential water ingress cannot be identified soon enough to rectify? Just a thought. It was just how Autotrail put it across to us with the first Autotrail apache we had.

Kev

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A "good" hab service is quite extensive, it includes a gas pressure test, removing the seat to check batteries and and a lot of other stuff that does take a lot of time.
This is the Inspection Plan ... doesn't seem to require much 'expertise'.

upload_2019-3-21_23-29-22.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Guys..How does the water ingress warranty work then ? If the habitation service is not carried out, surely the potential water ingress cannot be identified soon enough to rectify? Just a thought. It was just how Autotrail put it across to us with the first Autotrail apache we had.

Kev
Hab service & damp check for water ingress are are two different things.
I only ever have the damp check done.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003

Kev
As I said we had the damp check done every year and cost around £50, the habitation check is entirely separate.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I don’t believe for one moment that a seat will be removed to check a battery and unless you have a suitable gas outlet fitted you cannot do a pressure test through any of the appliances.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
This is the Inspection Plan ... doesn't seem to require much 'expertise'.

View attachment 291309
The table says annually, so that is what I would do. Although you are perfectly capable of doing it yourself, you don’t have the magic stamp to prove it’s been done to a professional standard by a highly qualified technician ( or a spotty youth on minimum wage who also cleans the toilets at your local dealer).

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Ive got the best part of £60K invested in my Globecar (after mods) so I'll be doing everything possible to maintain the integrity of the warranty period.

The whole process of hab checks may be an expensive fudge to some but IMO if I can look after my investment during the warranty phase then I will.

That said, I was thinking of buying the new £115,000 Range Rover Autobiography but I think I'll do the oil services myself to save a bit of money :D:D

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
With all the Mods done on Globecars there is a chance the manufacturer would not honour the warranty

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
With the Fiat 2 year warranty what's the point of a main dealer service at 2 years?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
With all the Mods done on Globecars there is a chance the manufacturer would not honour the warranty
Good point but unless the mods could be shown to have caused or 'aggravated' the issue in the first place they couldn't claim that. The mods that I do don't normally alter the 'working' bits of my motorhomes, eg I put in my own electric cables for stuff rather than chopping into the existing wiring, that way if needs be it can all be removed without affecting it.

With the Fiat 2 year warranty what's the point of a main dealer service at 2 years?
None for the warranty but the mechanicals need servicing regardless of whether there's a warranty so it makes sense to have it done just before the warranty runs out but it doesn't have to be a main dealer so long as it uses the proper parts/oil etc.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I took mine to the main dealer for the 2 year service. They replaced both headlights under warranty as there were some tiny defects in the soldering on the inside of the lights, so well worth doing.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I don’t believe for one moment that a seat will be removed to check a battery and unless you have a suitable gas outlet fitted you cannot do a pressure test through any of the appliances.
Sorry but you are wrong. I wanted to get my phone charger out the van while it was in being serviced. The seat was out and he was checking the batteries. There is a test point on my gas system next to the regulator. The gas system was pressure tested. Not through the appliances.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry but you are wrong. I wanted to get my phone charger out the van while it was in being serviced. The seat was out and he was checking the batteries. There is a test point on my gas system next to the regulator. The gas system was pressure tested. Not through the appliances.
Why would you take a seat out to check a battery, they are sealed so what is the point. Complete waste of money.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Why would you take a seat out to check a battery, they are sealed so what is the point. Complete waste of money.
To physically check them for safety, to check they are secure, to check the clamps are tight and connections are secure and to check both batteries voltage separately. None of these can be done without removing the seat.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@jezport out of interest how much was the hab check?

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Minxy, my November 2016 registerd Globescout 1 year Habitation service done in 2017 by the dealer was £199. Wording in my manual was the same as yours. My model was made in 2015 so had stood for sometime before being purchased as new. November 2018 had first full service done plus extensive check and service of the gas fridge by the same company Lennie uses. Total incl VAT £359.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
@jezport out of interest how much was the hab check?
Sorry I cant remember, was in August. Had it done at SMC so Im sure they can give you the current price.
They did do a few bits, sealant around toilet locker, tightened up a gas joint that showed a leak when pressure tested etc, It didn't leak at normal pressure yet. I was happy to have it done rather than close my eyes and hope things were right.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Line 2 of the” warranty says “advisable ..................to assert any warranty claim”

So if no check probably say you can’t assert your warranty .

Whats the are the things that can fail that you could’t fix?

Fridge, heater. Is the risk worth it? How often do they fail in first two years.?

Assume this is not the water ingress warranty.

And the gas check-is every two years which is probably the most important.

After the end of year two , there is not a warranty?.

We will not be having a habitation inspection next year,our third year, but will run all appliances and do visual checks as we use the van, and probably in mid winter when we don’t use the van. As no warrantry left I’ll bank the cost to use if i need a repair.

Water ingress check is I reckon is vital on our plastic wendy house

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back