Dec 28, 2018
South Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2013
Hi
We have a fully winterised van with Alde heating.
We want to take it on ski holidays , and looking at other threads on this forum , two 6kg calor bottles are not going to cut it.

Think I will fit LPG bottles. Ideally 2 x 11kg if they will fit in my locker.

Gaslow seem to be very popular but also very expensive to buy and have fitted. I’ve also seen a company called GASIT in North Wales which are much cheaper ( almost half ) than Gaslow.
Anyone got any experience of GASIT at all ?

And also , any tips on running with LPG much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Gaslow & Gasit cylinders are made in the same factory in Poland. Gasit off 4 hole & 2 hole bottles, the 2 hole bottle are a fair bit cheaper but you need the 4 bottle if you want an accurate level guage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've got a gas-it refillable 11kg cylinder, plus a 6kg Calorlite as a backup. But we don't go skiing.

Very happy with gas-it though.

Refillable LPG bottle(s) is definitely the way to go for continental travel.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Gasit for us, 44ltr underslung tank. Good company to talk too as well.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
If you like yellow, buy Gaslow. If you like red, buy Gasit and save money.
Ideally, as previously mentioned, under tank is probably the way to. I wish I had.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As others have said there is not much difference between them. Gaslow seem to be marketed through caravan and motorhome dealers whereas Gasit sell direct and through LPG experts.

I fitted Gasit myself in both of our motorhomes and have had no problems with it.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We went for an underslung tank for our van. Main reason was to save space as we're only 5.4m and the gas locker has been repurposed for other storage. Other bonuses are we can carry a bit more, and the weight is now low and between the axles, rather than behind the rear wheels and upright. Disadvantage is that it's expensive and, when going on the ferry/tunnel I have to crawl under the van to switch off the regulator.

Regardless as to whether you get an underslung tank or just switch to refillable bottles, I'd recommend getting an external fill point. Lots of garages don't like people filling bottles, but they are perfectly happy for you to fill up through an external nozzle.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We went for an underslung tank for our van. Main reason was to save space as we're only 5.4m and the gas locker has been repurposed for other storage. Other bonuses are we can carry a bit more, and the weight is now low and between the axles, rather than behind the rear wheels and upright. Disadvantage is that it's expensive and, when going on the ferry/tunnel I have to crawl under the van to switch off the regulator.

Regardless as to whether you get an underslung tank or just switch to refillable bottles, I'd recommend getting an external fill point. Lots of garages don't like people filling bottles, but they are perfectly happy for you to fill up through an external nozzle.
We have an in the locker fill point and have never had a problem

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
There’s also Alugas for the payload conscious.

We've just had two 11kg bottles fitted in our PVC by Autogas 2000. Could only fit a 25kg underslung tank and as internal space isn't really an issue, decided on the simpler option of replacing like for like. Saved a little weight as well.

Mick

RioRob

Free Member
Dec 30, 2017
North Devon
Funster No
Be careful when comparing prices for Gaslow and Gasit.

The standard Gasit bottles are a little cheaper than the Gaslow ones but they are not the same specification.

The Gaslow bottles are a higher spec. and cheaper than the equivalent Gasit Plus bottles.

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Be careful when comparing prices for Gaslow and Gasit.

The standard Gasit bottles are a little cheaper than the Gaslow ones but they are not the same specification.

The Gaslow bottles are a higher spec. and cheaper than the equivalent Gasit Plus bottles.

I can’t see that, they are just metal storage containers at the end of the day

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I can’t see that, they are just metal storage containers at the end of the day
That have the ability to shut off automatically when you have reached 80% storage and can give a reasonably accurate contents reading and will stop the flow of lpg in the event of a ruptured hose on the hp or lp side for safety. ;);):D2
Or not. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Nov 21, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Having been let down by a local fitter, I am considering self installing a Gasit system. However, my insurance company apparently require it to be done “professionally”. Since Gasit themselves advise notifying one’s insurance, has anyone found a way to diy compliantly?

Peter

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I installed mine but I had a normal gas check carried by my local dealer that ticked off all the appliances including the Gaslit installation. You also get a certificate of compliance.

Familymad

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs XXLA
Exp
2yrs
Took my time researching all the different refillable LPG options for our MH. I originally wanted Alu Gas but just couldn’t justify the price difference for a couple of KG saving in weight. I have a habit of changing things every 2-3yrs and figured I wanted a removable filling set up (in locker fill kit) so I could re fit to another MH. This would also mean I didn’t drill a big hole into the MH side for the lpg filling point and would allow me to DIY fit. So I was down to Gasit or Gaslow. Red or Yellow!

We wanted twin 11kg bottle with auto changeover and all tails and pipework. The price difference between the two kits was £200 and after much research, the final selling point was super quick and efficient customer service answering my dumb questions on the kit and how to fit it from Gasit. They got my cash.

Fitting took 2hrs after dry fitting in our kitchen first. The hardest bit was filling the system with a couple of litres at the local Asda @ 59p per litre. In short, read the instructions on the LPG pump and don’t just try to do what you think it requires...! I filled with 2 litres and pulled away to the car park for leak checks. Had three little areas and nipped them up. Came back and filled to full (or actually 80% limited by design) and it’s been awesome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back