Another motorhome driver trying to increase motorhome popularity (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The Story reminds me of when the 12v habitation batteries failed on our Motorhome. The result was the dumping of all the Truma water contents onto the cart park in Duignt (Lake Annecy). You should of seen the glares....

"crasseux Roast Biff déversant ses eaux grises"

(Scruffy English Git dumping his grey waste)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
There is one that does raise my blood a tad and that’s when the T5 style drivers take up a motorhome bay, especially when there’s the smaller bays available.

Illustrations of grandeur:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you scroll down the linked news report in the OP, there is a comment purportedly by the owner of the MH who said he had 3 children on board and permission to use 2 of those spaces.

A non-story for a slow news day.
Agree.
upload_2019-3-21_9-31-45.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The point is that every time somebody parks in such a way it provides extra ammunition to those who want an excuse not to listen to arguments for better facilities for motorhome parking.
... or perhaps it supports the claim showing that the only way to park is to take up more car bays, regardless of what 'type' they are? If bays were provided for larger vehicles then this wouldn't happen ... well it would, because the ruddy lazy car drivers would use them!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
... or perhaps it supports the claim showing that the only way to park is to take up more car bays, regardless of what 'type' they are? If bays were provided for larger vehicles then this wouldn't happen ... well it would, because the ruddy lazy car drivers would use them!

Yes it wouldn't have been a story at all if it had read...."Motorhomes and large vehicles not catered for in carparks something must be done"

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!

There's no evidence of alternate spaces or of selishness, but the main question is why kids can't walk and why do we need to enable fat kids in their selfish parent's SUVs to waddle to the sweet section of the supermarket?

I'd put mother+child spaces at the far end of the car park because frankly they are a nuisance and most need the exercise.

The only reason they get preferential parking is because they are big spenders, shovelling down that processed food, e numbers and high markup hydrogenated fat and sugar that will later make them such good future customers at the in-store pharmacy counter.

Perhaps the Gazette would be better returning to stories about potatoes shaped like Elvis instead of inciting hatred of people smart enough to go exploring the country in their motorhome and commiting the crime of shopping locally.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Supermarkets aren't going to provide large bays because they have insufficient customers to merit them.
We have hardly ever seen more than one in any visit we make to supermarkets in this area - and the ones we use most often are the closest to the CAMC site at White Water.
As the companies themselves acknowledge, parking for motorhomes in most of their car parks isn't usually a problem but they do expect drivers of large vehicles not to obstruct other customers.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
How did the world survive before mother and toddler parking spaces? Oh, yeah, that's it, the toddlers toddled and didn't end up obese by the time they reached double figures!

I do get the point of not providing ammunition against motorhomes however.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's

At our local Sainsburys they kindly adapted 2 x car slots at the end of a line of other car slots and converted it into one long area for 1 x van/large vehicle, it was always full of cars on our visits, had a look the other day and its been changed back to 2 x car slots. I must ask them why on our next visit. (n)

Pete

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The newspaper article seemed to be just a copy of a Farcaache post, no interviewing of anyone - complainant - MH driver or Tesco

No jounalism - the newspaper should be ashamed - but gets folk excited and most importantly sells newspapers

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As the companies themselves acknowledge, parking for motorhomes in most of their car parks isn't usually a problem but they do expect drivers of large vehicles not to obstruct other customers.
I read the 'obstruct' bit as not block anyone in/make it difficult for those already parked or causing difficulty for those entering/exiting, nothing to do with taking up bays.

They weren't actually physically obstructing an 'existing' customer, no more than if they parked in any of the other bays ... and they were customers too. So how were they, in your view, actually physically obstructing customers? It can clearly be seen from the photo that there were other parent and child spaces available and as has been mentioned in the comments/article plenty of other bays available for use which, although they may have been suitable for cars, many not have been for motorhomes.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
The only reason they get preferential parking is because they are big spenders
Nonsense. They get more space because they need it.
We look after our grandchildren 3 days a week and often find we need to shop. If my grandson gets out the car then the car parked beside him is at risk. Also when we get the babies out, they have car chairs which come straight out of the back seat isofix fitting. Try doing that in a normal space without knocking the shit out of the car next to you. If you can get it out at all.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!

Need it for what?
When I was young there no such spaces, I agree many spaces are too small but kids need the exercise and any bigger sized slots need to be at the opposite side of the car park so fat people can get the exercise they badly need.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I read the 'obstruct' bit as not block anyone in/make it difficult for those already parked or causing difficulty for those entering/exiting, nothing to do with taking up bays.

They weren't actually physically obstructing an 'existing' customer, no more than if they parked in any of the other bays ... and they were customers too. So how were they, in your view, actually physically obstructing customers? It can clearly be seen from the photo that there were other parent and child spaces available and as has been mentioned in the comments/article plenty of other bays available for use which, although they may have been suitable for cars, many not have been for motorhomes.
There are 2 free parent and child spaces shown in the photo. Use of either of them would have made it difficult to move the motorhome and, with the latter being parked right to the edge of the bays might have caused visibility problems for drivers using those bays.
As regards other suitable spaces, comments from people who were there indicate that there were some which were suitable for the motorhome.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Need it for what?
When I was young there no such spaces, I agree many spaces are too small but kids need the exercise and any bigger sized slots need to be at the opposite side of the car park so fat people can get the exercise they badly need.
What a disgraceful reply:mad: Ive never heard such a rediculous sweeping statement than this.
Do you think it is a good idea for a parent to walk the entire length of a car park crossing the roadway several times or walking in the roadway with a push chair or pram and worse still holding the hand of a child and then back again with a trolly. The need was very well explained, but for re-itteration extra space is needed so that the rear doors can be opened fully to allow the child to be placed in or removed from a child seat safely and without damaging the car next to it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There are 2 free parent and child spaces shown in the photo. Use of either of them would have made it difficult to move the motorhome and, with the latter being parked right to the edge of the bays might have caused visibility problems for drivers using those bays.
IMV you are grasping at straws now - the motorhome hirer was apparently told to park there and looking at the 'shadow' at the front there is room to allow some manoeuvring even if other cars were in the 2 vacant P+C bays, if not then the MH driver would just need to wait until he/she could escape, that's their choice - it may be that this is why it's positions at the edge of the spaces.

As for visibility problems, its no different to having a large 4x4 or people carrier parked which would extend to the end of the bay causing the same 'visibility' issues ... just look at the rear end of the Renault and other cars further away.

1_Camper-van-driver-at-Tesco-Eaglescliffe-parked-across-two-bays-called-lazy-and-selfish-on-social.jpg

As regards other suitable spaces, comments from people who were there indicate that there were some which were suitable for the motorhome.
But why should someone WITH CHILDREN not use the allocated spaces? As for those who say there were suitable spaces, do you really think that they were motorhome drivers and knew the amount of space needed in order to manoeuvre a motorhome in/out of spots etc without whacking something with its rear end? I seriously doubt it.

Sorry to disagree with you GJH as you do so much good for MH parking but a lot of the comments on this thread and in the article/comments feels very much like some people wanting to find fault for the sake of it.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I was sat parked up in Alderley Edge today. I witnessed two police cars cruise up and down at least 10 times, the same two.

In that 20 or so minutes. I saw two Ferraris, a Mercedes C63 AMG and a Bentley drive pass with no front number plates (another vain craze).

Two had illegal blacked out windows.
One had an illegal rear registration plate
One had smoked rear plate

None got pulled over.

Who is going to give a hoot if a large motorhome, with or without children takes up two bays. When we have people allowed to break several actual motoring laws ?.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
When the weather is reasonable and you have a few minutes sit outside a local Supermarket.
You'll almost certainly see the lardarses driving round and round until they find a parking space no more than a few yards from the store's entrance.
See how many people park in the disabled bays and then walk briskly into the store.
And watch the people without a girth of fat around their waist walk from the further reaches of the car park.
That's certainly my 'people watching' experience and if more people realised that even a few extra yards of walking might keep their weight down and make them healthier then everyone's a winner.
Rant over. ...

:france::france::france::france:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I was sat parked up in Alderley Edge today. I witnessed two police cars cruise up and down at least 10 times, the same two.

In that 20 or so minutes. I saw two Ferraris, a Mercedes C63 AMG and a Bentley drive pass with no front number plates (another vain craze).

Two had illegal blacked out windows.
One had an illegal rear registration plate
One had smoked rear plate

None got pulled over.

Who is going to give a hoot if a large motorhome, with or without children takes up two bays. When we have people allowed to break several actual motoring laws ?.

Did it not occur to you they were engaged in something, they don’t cruise up and down ten times for nothing. Were they looking for a suspect, were they looking for a reported stolen vehicle, a person seen carrying a knife or a person who had been following schoolkids. In any case the vehicle offences you mention are minor matters of very low priority and related to cars, nothing to do with motor homes or the parking of them in supermarkets and even if a motorhome does take up two bays,which I don’t necessarily condone, it’s not an offence under the law.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Did it not occur to you they were engaged in something, they don’t cruise up and down ten times for nothing. Were they looking for a suspect, were they looking for a reported stolen vehicle, a person seen carrying a knife or a person who had been following schoolkids. In any case the vehicle offences you mention are minor matters of very low priority and related to cars, nothing to do with motor homes or the parking of them in supermarkets and even if a motorhome does take up two bays,which I don’t necessarily condone, it’s not an offence under the law.

Yes, it did occur to me, that’s why I made a point of mentioning it in the post in detail (same two cars etc).

That said, I’ve seen one of the Ferraris in nearby Village of Hale in the same month.

If I have seen it, I would hope a copper has too.

And again, as I have Said before. Those in authority made this monster we have now, cutting back on real Police, in particular, traffic. That along with the idiots that think almost powerless PCSO’s and Traffic Enforcemt Officers are a money saving brainwave.

We have many friends who are serving police officers and a relative who recently retired from very high up. Now gone back part time to carry out Royal Protection duties. So pretty conversant with the background of the feds.

But as I have said before, bringing in random roadblocks with On the spot Police could save spot a lot of crime from petty to major. Sitting people in vans with speed cameras does not deal with stop and search. I saw a van drive past one this morning. He saw the camera van but was using his mobile.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

And I could not care less about the Motorhome parking. As I stated earlier

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There's no evidence of alternate spaces or of selishness, but the main question is why kids can't walk and why do we need to enable fat kids in their selfish parent's SUVs to waddle to the sweet section of the supermarket?

I'd put mother+child spaces at the far end of the car park because frankly they are a nuisance and most need the exercise.

The only reason they get preferential parking is because they are big spenders, shovelling down that processed food, e numbers and high markup hydrogenated fat and sugar that will later make them such good future customers at the in-store pharmacy counter.

Perhaps the Gazette would be better returning to stories about potatoes shaped like Elvis instead of inciting hatred of people smart enough to go exploring the country in their motorhome and commiting the crime of shopping locally.

When I have seen mother and baby in mother and baby space mother has required extra clearance for pushchair beside car while she transfers baby from car seat to push chair or shopping trolley , every justification for special bays.

BMW drivers bays should be at the back to give them extra practice using their indicators :imoutahere:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yes, it did occur to me, that’s why I made a point of mentioning it in the post in detail (same two cars etc).

That said, I’ve seen one of the Ferraris in nearby Village of Hale in the same month.

If I have seen it, I would hope a copper has too.

And again, as I have Said before. Those in authority made this monster we have now, cutting back on real Police, in particular, traffic. That along with the idiots that think almost powerless PCSO’s and Traffic Enforcemt Officers are a money saving brainwave.

We have many friends who are serving police officers and a relative who recently retired from very high up. Now gone back part time to carry out Royal Protection duties. So pretty conversant with the background of the feds.

But as I have said before, bringing in random roadblocks with On the spot Police could save spot a lot of crime from petty to major. Sitting people in vans with speed cameras does not deal with stop and search. I saw a van drive past one this morning. He saw the camera van but was using his mobile.

Take your point but as you will know the people in vans with speed cams are not police officers and could not have any impact on knife crime. Random roadblocks do indeed produce results, certainly in Suffolk where I am, don’t know about other areas though.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Supermarkets aren't going to provide large bays because they have insufficient customers to merit them.
We have hardly ever seen more than one in any visit we make to supermarkets in this area - and the ones we use most often are the closest to the CAMC site at White Water.
The reason you rarely see more than one motor home in a UK supermarket carpark is precisely because they don't provide spaces for them.

Venture abroad you'll see several in most of them.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We look after our grandchildren 3 days a week and often find we need to shop. If my grandson gets out the car then the car parked beside him is at risk. Also when we get the babies out, they have car chairs which come straight out of the back seat isofix fitting. Try doing that in a normal space without knocking the shit out of the car next to you. If you can get it out at all.
Did it for years I had twin babies and a 3 year old toddler

Never once needed a parent and child space

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I would imagine you were. taller and stronger than the average Mum or Grandparent therefore you had greater visibility, lifting ability and reach.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back